5th Gen Bars

Baileyrock

5th gen bars, different?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What Does your 5th gen have for pin location?

• Year 98 w/offset pin
    • Year 99 w/offset pin
    • Year 00 w/offset pin
    • Year 01 w/offset pin
    • Year 98 straight pin
    • Year 99 straight pin
    • Year 00 straight pin
    • Year 01 straight pin

• Member Contributer
'98 INLINE. Looks to be a direct replacement for my 4th gen except 1/2 in higher.

Still looking for your pin location! Straight or off-set?

thax

To confuse this even more - The 4th gen bars I put on the 5th gen have the offset pins. I had to cut the pins off to get them to install correctly. I eyeballed where I wanted them and torqued down the pinch bolt.

Looks like there were both 4th and 5ths bars with both -- pins offset and centered inline

MD

Edited by mello dude

• Member Contributer

Sorry Sir, my bust on the terminology. '98 STRAIT.

'98 INLINE. Looks to be a direct replacement for my 4th gen except 1/2 in higher.

Still looking for your pin location! Straight or off-set?

thax

I took INLINE to mean straight, not offset??

So your smarter than me! tongue.gif

:huh:

• 3 months later...
Anyone else? :fing02:

Yeah, awrrriiiight - I'll play your game. 2001, with straight whatsits. Supposedly a UK model, but who knows? It doesn't have HISS like it's spozed to. I reckon it's been cobbled together from a pile of parts. That would explain the mismatched front disks, now cunningly disguised with a can of gold wheel paint, so they don't look quite so obviously different.

• Member Contributer

Just to be clear, I think the intention was:

is the locating pin straight, (inline) with the handlebar (not the upper triple).

or is the locating pin offset from the handlebar.

Some of the responses seem vague.

is the locating pin straight, (inline) with the handlebar (not the upper triple).

If you look at the pics above ...on the right clip on....mine is the one on the right....I have a 2000

So that is what I would consider offset

• Member Contributer

If you look at the pics above ...on the right clip on....mine is the one on the right....I have a 2000

The one on the right here would be the "straight" one in the poll I believe. It's inline with the bar. BR, correct me if this is wrong.

5thgenbars001.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've been calling "straight" --- the pin and the bar clamp cutout go across the centerline of the the forks - the left pic. Offset to me is the pin and the bar clamp cutout is "offset" or about 75 degrees in relation to each other or the pic on the right. Is that what everbody else has been saying? Anyhoo mines the one on the left.

MD

Edited by mello dude

I've been calling "straight" --- the pin and the bar clamp cutout go across the centerline of the the forks - the left pic. Offset to me is the pin and the bar clamp cutout is "offset" or about 75 degrees in relation to each other or the pic on the right. Is that what everbody else has been saying? Anyhoo mines the one on the left.

MD

Thats the way I see it also.....so mine is the one on the right

The one on the right here would be the "straight" one in the poll I believe. It's inline with the bar. BR, correct me if this is wrong.

5thgenbars001.jpg

Yes, the one on the right is the one I consider Straight, as the pin is directly in line with the Bar. Of course the pic doesn't show that that well. :goofy:

• 5 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Baileyrock, I lowsided my 1998 vfr on the left side and bent my left handlebar. Do you have one for sale? Thank you, James.

I still have my stock 5th gen bars from my '98, PM me if your interested.