Open Air Chuck

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

I'm looking for an open air chuck to fill a tire without the valve core inserted in order to seat the beads. I found one on Patchboy, but I've not ordered from them and don't know the shipping charges. Don't want to pay $10 for a $4 part. I took a quick tour of the local auto parts stores and didn't find any there.

Alternatively, will I be ok to seat the beads with the core in?

It will be easier with the core out, but doable with it in. I know my air chuck with the gauge on it works either way, I don't think you have to specify.

• Member Contributer

Considering most tire companies don't recommend inflating the tires much beyond normal pressures, I'm sure it would be okay to do it with the valve core in. The Dunlop's I just put on said no more than 50/60 psi to seat the beads and they seated at around 40 psi. I haven't removed valve cores to seat beads in quite a few years. If you use good lube the tires should seat pretty easily.

Anything with a trigger or lever should do what you want it to. Something like this is probably more then you want to spend, but you get the idea.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ool+Accessories

Oh, and filling it with the valve core in should not cause any problems. Car tires can be more problematic because it restricts air flow and seating the bead can be a pain. On motorcycle tires, there should not be an issue.

• Member Contributer
Anything with a trigger or lever should do what you want it to. Something like this is probably more then you want to spend, but you get the idea.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ool+Accessories

Oh, and filling it with the valve core in should not cause any problems. Car tires can be more problematic because it restricts air flow and seating the bead can be a pain. On motorcycle tires, there should not be an issue.

I have a dial gauge air chuck with a trigger, but its a cheapie type that won't fill without the core. I tried.

i have mounted a dozen or so SETS, using a small 5 gallen pancake excel compressor. always do it with the stem in. i have only had one USED tire that would not seat as the bead was bent from being taken off.

it shouldn't be a problem

Archived