To Drop A Tooth Or Not To Drop......... Your Help Please

Guest itwrx

Question

Guest itwrx

Ok its time to replace the chain and sprocket. My question is do go from 16tooth to a 15 tooth on the front sprocket or leave it stock? I just moved from CA to UT and the altitude took some power. But I also like how smooth it is at 5000 rpm at about 70mph. that is where I cruse anyway. Will droping a tooth make it that much more fun? Anyone done this? How much will it hurt millage / top end?

Thanks dave

22 answers to this question

Ok its time to replace the chain and sprocket. My question is do go from 16tooth to a 15 tooth on the front sprocket or leave it stock? I just moved from CA to UT and the altitude took some power. But I also like how smooth it is at 5000 rpm at about 70mph. that is where I cruse anyway. Will drooping a tooth make it that much more fun? Anyone done this? How much will it hurt millage / top end?

Thanks dave

Stick with the 16. I went to a 15 on my 5th gen and didn't like the higher gear I was in most of the time.

• Member Contributer

I dropped a tooth in the front on my 5th gen and never looked back. Granted you'll be riding at a higher rpm and you'll probably invest in a spedo-healer. But its great, better acceleration and a better top gear roll. DO IT. Or just add a few on the back, either or.

"Droop" a tooth (2X)???

Is that some sort of Swedish accent you have there?? :biggrin:

Beck

95 VFR

HA HA I didn't see that.. Ill fix it thanks lol

Ok its time to replace the chain and sprocket. My question is do go from 16tooth to a 15 tooth on the front sprocket or leave it stock? I just moved from CA to UT and the altitude took some power. But I also like how smooth it is at 5000 rpm at about 70mph. that is where I cruse anyway. Will drooping a tooth make it that much more fun? Anyone done this? How much will it hurt millage / top end?

Thanks dave

Stick with the 16. I went to a 15 on my 5th gen and didn't like the higher gear I was in most of the time.

A 15t front sprocket would be a two tooth drop on a 5th gen as there 17t stock, whereas the 6th gen is 16t stock! :ohmy:

I dropped mine 02 front sprocket dn-1 about 50,000 miles ago and would never go back! It works for my type riding which is NO hwy commuting at all. will it work for you? Depends!

It's only a $30 mistake if you don't like it. :biggrin:

Also what do I go with? Factory or after market setup? If I go after market what brand will last the longest? I got 30,000 out of my factory setup.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket of my 2001 VFR and changed it back after two weeks.Most of my driving was on the highway and I just found the bike to rev too high and vibrate at that speed.I think going up 1 or two teeth on the rear would be fine though.

Try looking at Gearing Commander. com (LINK). You can play with different gear options and see what would work best for you. I do a lot of highway commuting and I went up 2 in the back. It only increased my PRM's by about 200 at 70 mph, but made a noticeable increase in acceleration. I use 6th more now so no decrease in MPG.

Action

• Member Contributer

Glad you posted that up Action. I have been contemplating the same thing for some time but don't want to throw the odometer off that much (GPS does well enough for speed). Looks like I will be looking at +2 on the rear when the time comes. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Having just moved FROM utah I'll tell you that you'll have a lot of top gear cruising to get to and from twisties and those twisties are a lot higher speed roads than most.

However, you might like what I did. I couldn't decide if I wanted one tooth less on the front sprocket so I split the difference and went one tooth more on the rear and I love it!

PS where in Utah did you move to? My old riding partner in SLC, sPOTO, might need a new friend since I left a couple months ago.

I dropped a tooth in the front and have loved it (2001 5th gen). To me the engative side is the speedo is wack. I don’t mind it really. I love the power and love the shifting just a little quicker. On the interstate it helps i think. I don’t notice the slight gas difference

• Member Contributer

:blush: :dry: in the rear.

I love the plus two response...kinda :blink: when the wheel wants to get light but way too fun....

• Member Contributer
Try looking at Gearing Commander. com (LINK). You can play with different gear options and see what would work best for you. I do a lot of highway commuting and I went up 2 in the back. It only increased my PRM's by about 200 at 70 mph, but made a noticeable increase in acceleration. I use 6th more now so no decrease in MPG.

Action

I also wanted a bit more acceleration off the ocrners, but did not want to increase rpm too much for the occasional highway run. I also opted for going plus two on the rear sprocket and it worked out perfectly for me. Love the subtle change it made.

The guys at sprocketcenter.com offer excellent customer service. They can provide you with the correct lenght of chain for your gearing change. Going up two will require two extra links over stock. Aftermarket sprockets are fine and a bit cheaper. Anything ftom Drive Systems or Afam will work well.

• Member Contributer

I do mostly canyon rides which include a 45min. plus commute minimum. The 1 tooth less on the front config had the bike too high in the RPM's for my 80mph cruising speed (s.cal.) so i switched it back to stock. I also was not comfortable with the inaccurate speedometer.

The only place i truly miss that extra drive is on the occasional track day. I'll opt. for the plus 2 on the r.sprocket next time around. Then swap the front for a track day prep.

• Member Contributer

I went +2 on the rear of my 5th Gen.. My commute is 70ish MPH. Gave it a bit more lower end grunt and the RPMs are not bad 5500 between 75-80 MPH (track only of course officer) the Speedo is 10mph off so.. if your rollin 75 MPH indicated your doing 65 as per GPS.

+2 in the rear. It takes about 5 minutes to do the swap and you don't even have to remove the rear wheel. My speedo is way off but it pulls some sweet v-tech wheelies now:)

Action

does anyone have the http://www.gearingcommander.com/ information for the 5th gen? looks like the 6th gen can preload.

+2 in the rear. It takes about 5 minutes to do the swap and you don't even have to remove the rear wheel. My speedo is way off but it pulls some sweet v-tech wheelies now:)

I assume you have to get a new chain as well?

I assume you have to get a new chain as well?

If your chain is wore out it's best to replace all 3 parts (chain, counter shaft sprocket and rear sprocket). My 02 only had 3k miles so I only replaced the rear sprocket. I put on one of these http://www.supersproxusa.com/ and it looks great.

Of course anything with VTEC is better :cool: And silver is faster even without a gear change :cool: :fing02:

I'll go back to work now....

Archived