Bada, Bump, Bump, Bump

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

Grrrrrr. Saw a slight wisp of smoke and smelled burning plastic while starting up the bike in the garage. Voltmeter was still registering normal.

connector.jpg

Glad I caught it in time. I cut the connector out and wired it straight in.

• Member Contributer

I came out of class the other day and the my bike wouldn't fire. So I push Started it and she got me home. I pulled it apart and put dialectric on everything and picked up about 1 volt. It is still low though. I am going to try to run a couple of fused wires from the hot side of the RR dirrectly to the battery as I have seen suggested on this board by some of the guys. BTW Mmy Stator RR connection did the same exact thing last spring. I also cut out the connector and hardwired it. That worked well all last year. Good Luck. Ler us know how you make out.

• Member Contributer

I am having a similar issue. Just replaced the RR and installed the vfrness. Now I am noticing heat damage to the 3 yellow wires and the same plug you pictured.

Tuesday, I ran across Larry on Angeles Crest Hwy, who rides a 94 vfr and has found the starter relay to be the culprit and not the stator. I'm going to replace mine and get a voltmeter. He also recommends pulling the contacts apart and applying dialectic grease as regular maintinance. Starter relay is a $27 part. Cheaper than frying RR's and batteries.

Here is a good source for parts. http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

• Member Contributer

Those look like the stator/alternator wires?I just had to do that on a friends 75 gl1000.The connector with the stator wires was melted beyond recognition and the plug with the with the 2 main 12g pwr wires was toasty and melted as well.Reminds me of some other Honda bikes. :happy:

Ordered a magnetic starter relay for it as its in bad shape hopfully it helps.

I am having a similar issue. Just replaced the RR and installed the vfrness. Now I am noticing heat damage to the 3 yellow wires and the same plug you pictured.

Tuesday, I ran across Larry on Angeles Crest Hwy, who rides a 94 vfr and has found the starter relay to be the culprit and not the stator. I'm going to replace mine and get a voltmeter. He also recommends pulling the contacts apart and applying dialectic grease as regular maintinance. Starter relay is a $27 part. Cheaper than frying RR's and batteries.

Here is a good source for parts. http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

I tried to look up a starter relay with no luck. How would I find one for a 98?

• Member Contributer

This is the first I have heard of the starter relay, what are the signs it should be replaced? Or are you upgrading to aftermarket??

This is the first I have heard of the starter relay, what are the signs it should be replaced? Or are you upgrading to aftermarket??

+1

I would like to know as well seeing as I'm currently having charging system issues that I can't seem to rap my fingers around.

+1

I would like to know as well seeing as I'm currently having charging system issues that I can't seem to rap my fingers around.

The Starter Relay usually has problems with the connector...but the relay is fine. The 4 pin connector likes to burn up, common for all years although the relay is not the same for all.

The starter relay passes all the current from the R/R, unless you install the VFRness. This is a bad design IMO as all charging goes through 1 pin.

• Member Contributer
crazy

13 years old, I'm surprised it made it this far. +1.gif

Don't you jinx me! wink.gif

I did the dielectric grease trick on those connectors while I had everything apart for my maintenance extravaganza. I'm just trying to beat the problems before they arrive!

The conductive properties of WD40 are better than Dielectric grease , if the grease creates any lack of continuity you may even get more heat buildup.

I've had zero issues with ocassional, connection checks and prepping on the vfr.

• Member Contributer

+1

The Starter Relay usually has problems with the connector...but the relay is fine. The 4 pin connector likes to burn up, common for all years although the relay is not the same for all.

The starter relay passes all the current from the R/R, unless you install the VFRness. This is a bad design IMO as all charging goes through 1 pin.

"This is a bad design as all charging goes through 1 pin."

What he said.

Archived