Bridgestones

vfr_steve

I've got to of held a personal record for the amount of bike woe posts in a month but this one doesn’t point the blame to my viffy this time :biggrin:

This one concerns my Bridgestone 01 that got fitted in Jan this year, it's been great, right up until I had a nail through it a few weeks ago, Now the guy who fitted it in the first place repaired the puncture, but my bike has been feeling strange for a few days or so, I went to check the pressure... only 27psi!!!

So I I pumped her up and from the moment I set off the tyre still felt funny, bearing in mind it's probably worth mentioning I've just got a new Bridgestone on the front too.. Now I'm worried that to repair the tyre the guy had to dig a hole in the tyre piercing the metal shell that goes around the edge.. my question is will a Bridgestone be ok with one or two tyre repairs or will it effect its strength, thus changing/warping the tyre.

This has got me worried, any advice from you guys would be really appreciated.

I really don't want to be spending on a 3rd tyre in 2 months with everything else going on :comp13:

Thanks,

Steve

a rear with 1 inside patch over a mushroom plug is ok (maybe 2 spaced well apart in a tube tire only), never never a front sorry. this is only for commuting or general use if you push at all forget a patch on a tubeless.

goin for a set of near-new front and rear tyre, as I prefer to have them matched otherwise I'll get that nasty wobble back again.

Replacing the rear shouldn't affect the front end wobble. If you want a matched set replace the rear only with a Bridgestone 01 if that is what is on the front and it is almost new.

I'm in the same boat man. Picked up a nail in the rear, and just replaced the tire, as it wouldn't pass inspection anyways. Got the new one on a Friday, and that Sunday I picked up another F'ing nail.

No way was I buying another tire, so I just umbrella patched it. I did have to use a old fashion tire plug to get me back home though. Never seen more than 40km/h all the way home though, just to try and be safe.

Haven't any problems with it yet though

• Member Contributer
I'm in the same boat man. Picked up a nail in the rear, and just replaced the tire, as it wouldn't pass inspection anyways. Got the new one on a Friday, and that Sunday I picked up another F'ing nail.

No way was I buying another tire, so I just umbrella patched it. I did have to use a old fashion tire plug to get me back home though. Never seen more than 40km/h all the way home though, just to try and be safe.

Haven't any problems with it yet though

Im not saying its the safest route, but over the summer i bought a 08 buell xb12xt bike had 800miles on it. I was riding in the rain when I heard a pop. By the time I got stopped at the next safe place to pull over the tire was flat. I put the old style tire plug in the tire from the outside and rode home slowly. Well I ended up riding on the tire for 6k miles and it never leaked air. I never had the bike over 100mph, though I did do alot of two up riding with some long trips. This was on the rear and it was a Diablo Strada. Ill patch another one, and keep doing it untill it comes back to haunt me, and im sure it will.

Just do what makes you feel safe.

Don't get "Cup-stones" next time...

I've gone for a 'as new' Conti Attack because it only cost me £30!! If I get a couple of months out of it I'll be happy and so far, fingers crossed - it feels great... I've kept the Bridgestone on the front.

• Member Contributer

I seriously thought there was a buyback offer out there somewhere... Maybe it was Avon, I don't know... Glad you found a cheapie!

• Member Contributer

Conti's are great tires. I have a set that have put up quite good numbers for miles and are very solid in twisties as well as cold weather riding. Good choice. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I would pay the money to replace a tire in a heart beat on my VFR simply because you only have 2 tires with rounded surfaces. I like living and the piece of mind that a replacement tire costs is well worth it. And yes, I have had to replace several back tires and one front due to nails, rocks, etc. PIA? You bet but it isn't a cage where you have 4 points of contact and will most likely survive a blow out.

It's just as bad as having to replace a helmet that gets blown off the top of a 5' locker and hearing it land in a pile of big rocks but I did it because if I don't it will be the one time something bad will happen and my compromised equipment will fail turning a bad situation into a life altering experience. No thanks. Murphy can kiss my arse. :biggrin:

But that's just me. It's your ride and your life. wink.gif

Did you check the pressure after you got the tire fixed, he may have not filled it all the way up?

If you did check the pressure and it was 42 psi, and with 1 month its at 27 psi, I'd say you have a slow leak.

Idf you didnt check the pressure, he may have only put 30 psi in it and 27 is about right sitting for a month

Glad you all approve because I wasn't sure if I had made a good tyre choice... so far though it feels great - Like I have 4 wheels :goofy:

Glad to have that B-stone off, even when fully inflated (42psi) it felt like it had warped or something from having to make an even bigger hole to repair it (through the inner metal shell) and I ain't risking that!!

I loved my BT021s...the current Pirellis are too soft for the commuting I do and the area I live in...they are wearing nice and square....reminds me not to buy a "Deal" but just get tires that I know I like.

The Blackbird has pucture proof tires.... :goofy:

Now I wonder what made you say that :laugh:

Couldnt resist...I really want you (me) to have that bike... :blush:

Archived