Repack A Cf Exhaust

y2kvfr

• Member Contributer

I'm repacking my MIG Indy. See my blog for the details.

Anyway, there is some silicone goop at the egress end cap. Do I need to do that when I put it back together?

What about sealing the end caps to the CF. It was originally sealed with some sort of black silicone. What should/do I use?

gallery_1632_4468_212610.jpg

Goop at egress end cap

• Member Contributer

Anyway, there is some silicone goop at the egress end cap. Do I need to do that when I put it back together?

What about sealing the end caps to the CF. It was originally sealed with some sort of black silicone. What should/do I use?

gallery_1632_4468_212610.jpg

Goop at egress end cap

Well,

my CF BOS exhaust didnot have this wax jobbie inside so I'd leave it out....

Do you like extra weight?

It might be there to keep heat off the end of the CF sleeve as the packing blows out. I don't think it matters either way, might as well put it back in there.

You could always shoot an email to MIG cust service(wait, are they still in biz?)...

• Member Contributer

The goop is not really nessessary for the operation of your exhaust... it's a nice finishing touch... packing the

double tubes is more difficult than a single tube... you might wrap each tube seprate and then wrap them

together... anyway you'll be an expert after 2 or 3 tires...

• Member Contributer
The goop is not really nessessary for the operation of your exhaust... it's a nice finishing touch... packing the

double tubes is more difficult than a single tube... you might wrap each tube seprate and then wrap them

together... anyway you'll be an expert after 2 or 3 tires...

Larry: That's exactly why I took pictures as I disassembled it! They wrapped the shotgun separately, then the single tube, then the whole enchilada.

Can't wait!

I'm :biggrin: on wrapping each tube individually and then both together. For my TBR cf can I used an ultra-high temp silicon for the end caps and aluminum rivets. Looked at many retail places for stainless and they were not to be had. Of course, I wasn't on the 5-year plan wink.gif

Most OEMs have the silicon I used. Mine was from a Toyota parts dept. I know Subaru dealers have the same stuff. Supposed to be good in excess of 500F.

As for the goop on the end, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. Yuck!

I'd try my darnedest to wrap the kaowool all the way to the ends and then put some tape over each one to hold it in place. Then if you really want to ensure the quality of exhaust direction, you could put a nice bead of the high temp silicon on the inside of each outlet on the end cap. Give it a few to setup before sliding it back on.

Saw the gloves, but be sure to wear a mask while handling the packing!

• Member Contributer

Resprayed and repacked.

Just need to find the screws and get some high temp silicone. I'll update the blog soon...

Archived