Help With Saddle Bags

Snakeman

So I have one very long trip this summer and maybe a shorter one and need some soft saddle bags. I have a Staintune High mount on my 5 gen. Anyone have a good suggestion for some bags that won't melt or burn whats packed inside.

Thanks

Snakeman

Ventura!

MontanaIdahoJune08002.jpg

ya,ya I know you love your Ventura Radar. I however want nice med to smaller saddle bags. I do not need to carry an air compressor, air jack, kitchen sink and whatever else you had packed in there for our last trip. I just room for things like you no SHOES. I will never ever forget to pack those again!

• Member Contributer

I have a nice set of Nelson Rigg Silver Streaks that came with my bike. Mine, when I bought the bike, came with covers. I am not sure if they come with the bags or if you have to order them seperately. I have a 6th Gen and never had a problem with any burning.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Sport-Tour.../SSC150-Big.htm

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Sport-Tour.../SSC150-Big.htm

(I hope I did the copy/pasting right!!)

GO VOLS!!!

Givi E52 with Givi mount, Marsee Zipp bag, Motopak tankbag, and Oxford saddlebags. Total cost was around $570.....it pays to shop around (Givi alone was 400). Now I can go anywhere with that setup.

I know the topcase looks silly but after you use it......who cares! Its waterproof, locks, and is easily removed!

• Member Contributer

I got the Nelson Rigg silver streak deluxe. Nice and roomy, and they're a breeze to take off. Work fine with my high mounted 2-bros, though the 2-bros has a carbon fiber around it, so even if the bag sits on it, nothing melts cause the surface never gets too hot. The bags do have heat resistant bottoms. Only complaints are getting the bag on right where they won't slip around too much, and even with the rain covers on you sometimes get your stuff wet. I've come out dry twice and wet once.

• Member Contributer

I use these:

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/saddleb...saddlebags.html

They are nice and big without being bothersome. They are large enough that I used them for a 7 day trip and they are all I needed. You will just need a support see this thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiver...php/t42484.html

A member here (cigarbuff) made me one of these supports for a fair price and it works awesome! I have the fender eliminator so I had to mount it to the bottom of my lic. plate, which was easy with some small L brackets. Whole setup including bags was less than $200.

• Member Contributer

I have the Cortech Sport saddle and tail bag setup as well as the Nelson Rigg CL-950 bags CL-150 tail bag.

The Cortech Sports are small and sportier by far and I like their maounting setup better (even though Nelson rigg has mimiced the mounting system), reason being, Cortech seemed to have better located their buckles on the bags. The come with rain covers, and I have used them in the rain while riding, but was constantly checking them, them are light weight and I'm pretty sure were not intended for use while riding. The tail bag expands 2" to each side. If I need more room than what the cortech holds I use a helmet net on top the tail bag since it has some nice d-rings that work great for that.

The Nelson riggs are stiff and hold their shape while empty. They have some super dooper heavy rain covers that hold on very well and I have tested them to interstate speeds (read 85-90 flow of traffic stuff), with no worries. The saddlebags have side pockets that are more functional than the cortech pockets, and the Nelson rigg saddlebags have netting pockets on the front edge that hold a bottle of water just fine (cortech does not have them). The nelson riggs also have more internal mesh pockets than do the cortechs.

If I had to choose one set, I'd choose the Cortechs, but since my local bike shop gave me a great deal on the Nelson riggs, I own both and it's nice to have them for long and shorter trips.

Both have basically the same padding so as to not scratch the paint surface and do a fine job. I also have a taink bag from each manufacturer and I find the strap mount for the Cortech to be superior to the Nelson Rigg or Rapid TRansit I have as well. Reason being is Cortech's stem strap velcro's nicely around the stem so when you remove the bag, the strap stays snuggly in place and I don't have to fish it through everything when I remove/install the bag.

• 1 month later...
So I have one very long trip this summer and maybe a shorter one and need some soft saddle bags. I have a Staintune High mount on my 5 gen. Anyone have a good suggestion for some bags that won't melt or burn whats packed inside.

Thanks

Snakeman

Seems like this question gets posted now and then. A few talented people on this list have made racks and chain guards for VFR's. Has anyone made a set of brackets (perhaps mimicking the Honda OEM's) that can be used to keep all soft bags away from the pipes and plastic on 6th gen. bikes. As far as I know Honda brackets are available only as a kit with the hardbags and for me they are unavailable now ('03 Silver). I'd be interested in something like that, maybe others as well.

• Member Contributer

Dean, I would have to second Darren on the Ventura system, you don't have to use both bags if you don't need as much space. I used to have a set of JR saddle bags, they were fine, but nowhere near as good or convenient as the Ventura system. When I get to a hotel etc. I just lift the bags up of the rack and in I go, 2 seconds literally and not much more to put them on. plus when I'm riding I don't even know they are there. when I first put it on I had to keep feeling back there to make sure they were still there. smile.gif Do it...you wont be sorry.

gallery_1977_1218_319255.jpg

Lolo pass And of course we've all seen this sign before

Not a great shot but I think you can see I only have the one bag on. My son was riding pillion with me that day.

Dean, I would have to second Darren on the Ventura system, you don't have to use both bags if you don't need as much space. I used to have a set of JR saddle bags, they were fine, but nowhere near as good or convenient as the Ventura system. When I get to a hotel etc. I just lift the bags up of the rack and in I go, 2 seconds literally and not much more to put them on. plus when I'm riding I don't even know they are there. when I first put it on I had to keep feeling back there to make sure they were still there. smile.gif Do it...you wont be sorry.

gallery_1977_1218_319255.jpg

Lolo pass And of course we've all seen this sign before

Not a great shot but I think you can see I only have the one bag on. My son was riding pillion with me that day.

I know that both you and Darren love this set-up, but, I do not. I just don't like the bulkiness of them regardless of how well they work. I want soft bags and just need to find some that won't burn or better yet touch my high mount Staintune pipe. I have my big tank bag and it works most times for me. With the Colorado trip this summer I want just a little more room for more stuff i may buy for my kids and so I have room for if i don't forget to pack my shoes this time.

I am going to wait until the snow melts and ride my bike to a few shops and test fit some soft bags and see what looks like it may work for me.

hey dean,

i think these are the ones that craig/cvvfr rides with.

i've got cortech gear and it's well made. this set sits high enough that it would be out of the way of the hot exhaust.

it looks like it provides a lot of storage space too.

h_ra_black.jpg

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=149

When do I shop for the Ventura system? I like my current setup ok (EXL Tailbag on removable rack covering Pillion seat), but I now need to transport a laptop, and that bag doesn't work well for this. I would love the ability to take the bags off easily, and also allow a pillon without removing tail bag altogether.

• Member Contributer

I bought some Joe Rocket and I have used them with the high exhaust. I found that the straps were velcro adjustable so I could ensure the bags were away from the muffler. Also, the muffler did not even get that hot. While moving, I could put a bare hand on it. Not the actual tailpipe, but the muffler body itself.

• Member Contributer

Dean,

I have had a set of the Oxford Sports panniers since I got the bike. They have always worked well rain or shine and come with the Lifetime Guarantee.

Snakeman, I'm with you about the bulk of the Ventura system. I hate it. It makes the bike look like it's got a great big, fat butt stuck up in the air. My bike came with the system installed.

On the other hand, when I go on a trip it is a Must Have!. I just have to remind myself that "Most everyone gains weight and has a big, fat butt on vacation" :goofy: (No one ever made fun of it though)

Yes, it installs and comes off in seconds. When I get to where I'm going the bag and the rack come off just that fast! Leaving you with the sleek and sporty look.

I will get a set of saddlebags eventually but I won't ever let go of the Ventura luggage. Unless someone wanted to trade even for factory hardbags :laugh:

Snakeman, I'm with you about the bulk of the Ventura system. I hate it. It makes the bike look like it's got a great big, fat butt stuck up in the air. My bike came with the system installed.

On the other hand, when I go on a trip it is a Must Have!. I just have to remind myself that "Most everyone gains weight and has a big, fat butt on vacation" :idea3: (No one ever made fun of it though)

Yes, it installs and comes off in seconds. When I get to where I'm going the bag and the rack come off just that fast! Leaving you with the sleek and sporty look.

I will get a set of saddlebags eventually but I won't ever let go of the Ventura luggage. Unless someone wanted to trade even for factory hardbags :blink:

VFR World has a thread very similar to this and I saw a novel approach. Rotating the exhaust down to a mid level (looks a little strange) and using the Staintune bracket/spacer from underneath the left grab handle as a bracket to mount to the right rearset. You will probably have to register to see the images which are necessary for it to make sense. If it works with Givi hardbags, it should work with soft saddlebags as well. Just an idea...

http://vfrworld.com/forums/fifth-generatio...-staintune.html

• Member Contributer

Hey Snakeman,

I have a 5th gen with highmount Two Bros aluminum (gets hot). I have used "Gears" saddle bags without any problems. They are adjustable using the velcro straps to make sure they are held up off the can. Here are a couple of pictures. I am usually two up and they haven't been a problem at all. I now also have a Givi topbox as well (since I am two up).

gallery_2682_4492_204707.jpg

Going to the Sun - Montana

gallery_2682_4492_263892.jpg

Fully loaded for Kootenany Hootenany '08

• Member Contributer

Nelson Rigg Silver Streak Deluxe. I did find that having something underneath the straps lifted the bags to a nice height. I used my tent underneath the two straps. Gave about 4 inches in height, which lets the bags sit just where I wanted them. Though you could just adjust the velcro and make them come up higher. But then the front clip for the bag becomes a bit of a stretch to get on.

gallery_12591_3383_1375922.jpg

IMG_1838.JPG

Archived