Gps Mapping

JayWalker

• Member Contributer

I received this Magellan 2500 GPS for Christmas and it's pretty cool. The only problem is mapping out a specific route. I want to tell the thing where I want to go, and how I want to get there. The only way I have been semi-successful, is creating my own POIs along my desired route. Problem is, I have to hit continue to next POI after I pass each one. There must be a better way. Right?

Does anyone know how to plot a route, and have the unit guide you on the roads you designate? How do you guys do it?

JW

I'm not sure about your GPS model, but on most consumer GPS units you can't plan your own route. The Zumo series is specifically designed for bikes, so this sort of functionality is built in. However, I know my nuvi 200 can not do this. Best to consult your manual.

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar with the firmware in your Magellan, but in the TomTom world it's called "itineraries". I use a little program called "Tyre" that interfaces with Google Maps. I can click on any point on the map to create a "waypoint". Once all the waypoints are created in the order I want them, I save the file and download it to the GPS. The GPS then creates a route based on the waypoints I created.

Try googling your GPS model and find what others have done. That's how I discovered the true potential of the TomTom I own. I've used the itinerary function a few times -- even on group rides here on VFRD.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Hey JW

I guess you are asking the million dollar question. The true potential is just what you asked for - the ability to plan and plot "waypoints" for a trip. It's one thing to see where you are while out on a ride. That would be a little dot (arrow) on the screen. With the correct maps you can see the whole state or region you'll be traveling.

At the TexMac get together last year I watched Miguel work feverishly to plot a new route back home with changes he made on the fly. It was all done on his laptop and that was the key to getting things right.

All of the units have different interfaces and different maps. I have a Garmin Quest II and it was already loaded with a lot of maps. I have to be careful how much more info I load since there is a limit to how many new maps I can load. I also have to be very picky which new maps I purchase since I run a MAC computer and NOT a PC. So thing get really complicated. Not all can be of use to my MAC.

Here is a thought. See if anyone can send you a route with waypoints already plotted and load it into your unit. It's cool to see what a carefully crafted journey looks like when it comes up on that little screen You will have a "demo" to work from and the chance to make changes and mistakes. I am struggling with the same issues and I run the tutorial software for my system every now and then to pick up a few new mapping skills.

This issue needs it's own forum! It is soooo complicated. Good luck with your GPS. As for me - I'm lost and I'm still sitting in my living room.

BT

• Member Contributer

What could be adding to your problems are in the settings. Most GPS systems have settings like fastest route/most sceenic route/streets only/freeway only/pedestrian/motorcycle/car etc. All of these settings can alter your trip in one way or another. I have a Garmin Nuvi that does the same and the way I get around it is just like you said. I add my own stops or points of interests on the way.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the responses.

From what I have read on gpspassion.com, it seems I will have to "hack" the unit and load different s/w like mio or mapsend.

JW

With Itinerary planning on my TomTom, I can select a point as a "Destination" or just a "Waypoint". Destinations must be reached, Waypoints may get passed by. When i was using google to drag my route around, I had to be careful that my points were on the road, or I wouldn't get credit for having reached them, and it tried to redirect me.

Most GPS units do it a bit different, especially if you are hacking the GPS to modify the way it works for you (Has to be done with the cheap TomTom)

• Member Contributer

Route planning was the main reason I bought the Garmin Nuvi 750: you use the Mapsource mapping software to create the route on your computer and then upload it to the Nuvi. I actually plan out the route with Delorme Street Atlas, then work with Mapsource for the uploadable route. Works great. Nice to be able to know that I turn left at the next T intersection without searching out the map. Love it!!

• Member Contributer
If yo make a trip as decribed, do you still have to hit <continue to next POI> after you have passed a waypoint?

Yes, and it's a PITA!

Thanks for all the info, I'll give it a try.

Archived