Charlotte Foothills Ride

Hello all,

The charlotte area group went for a ride this saturday. The weatherman was calling for 58F and all sunshine. This is how it looked when I left my house. Super soupy fog. It's not raining just fog.

charlottevfrdjan32009003Small.jpg

The fog was so bad that my shield would only clear up for a second or two. I think all of us rode to the meeting spot with our visors up. 33F and 65mph water hitting the face, fantastic.

There is a lowes hardware store back there, somewhere.

charlottevfrdjan32009010Small.jpgcharlottevfrdjan32009009Small.jpg

We had 4 riders meet in lincolnton NC. 4th, 5th, 6th gen and a stinkin BMW. At least it didnt melt.

charlottevfrdjan32009005Small.jpg

charlottevfrdjan32009007Small.jpg

Travis has a low mileage very good condition 4th gen. He needs to detail the engine,IMO, and she will be a 10. Good job on the bike bro.

charlottevfrdjan32009014Small.jpg

charlottevfrdjan32009013Small.jpg

This the most awesome VFR in the whole world. The rider is Ross's teacher,

charlottevfrdjan32009011Small.jpg

We had a nice damp ride to old 18. Halfway thru the road the sun comes out full force like the switch was flipped.

charlottevfrdjan32009015Small.jpg

We caught up with the other Brian (vf-1r) in jonas ridge. The sun was out but now the roads were covered in salt and sand in places.

charlottevfrdjan32009030Small.jpg

charlottevfrdjan32009028Small.jpg

Salt tires, yeah

charlottevfrdjan32009026Small.jpg

I hate it when salt gets on the engine. It bakes on the exhaust will corrod stuff quick.

charlottevfrdjan32009024Small.jpg

I even got salt on my butt and all over my seat. How does that happen?

charlottevfrdjan32009023Small.jpg

Brian then took us on some foothills roads that didnt have any salt. I didnt know where I was after 10 miles. We stopped here, somewhere in the middle of no where.

charlottevfrdjan32009036Small.jpg

The best 2 bikes on the ride.

charlottevfrdjan32009035Small.jpg

We then started making our way home. We took brushy mtn. road and then old mtn. road back to civilization. It was a good ride. We could of had better conditions, but just getting out to ride was fun. I went straight home and washed the bike,LOL. We had fun and I hope you enjoyed this ride report.

This the most awesome VFR in the whole world. The rider is Ross's teacher,

charlottevfrdjan32009011Small.jpg

Hmmmm, I wonder why you would say such a thing???

BTW, you got your HRC sticker on the front fender upsidedown!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Nice to get out eh??

I'm couped up with bronquitis, gingivitis and dermatitis... hate Winter... hate hate hate... :angry: :angry: :angry: it's been raining these last 4 days and I had planned to take a short spin with a mate who also has not 1 but 2 low-mileage, top notch 4th gens... one he's rigging up for track days... he's just a 4th gen freak!! I have the 5th and 6th gens so we make a good pair...

Lapis Blue Metallic (my VTECker) has more stealth factor... thus goes faster under the radar... :cool: :cool:

supersonicgifbx2.gif

Proof that Cool Blue puts out Red Fire!!!

J/K

The sticker is not upside down. I put it on that way because thats the way I wanted it. You are the first to say anything.

• Member Contributer

Nice ride report. It was a blast. I look forward to next time. I do plan on detailing the engine when I get a chance. I know she is not in "NEW" shape, but believe me I do want to get her that way, I could probably tell you every scratch and nick, I (like a lot of people) don't have a lot of $$$, so I got to make due. I still have the fairings and tail section off and in my house (got to put on a coat of wax and pin stripe the front wheel), I hope we have good weather for a few days because its hard to do all this out side (no garage).

What is the best stuff to detail the engine with? (when I got the bike it was in rough shape, very dirty and was not cleaned often "chain lube everywhere"). I know I will have to remove the headers to do them right, but what about the engine?

Thanks again for any help.

"Long live the 4th gen" :angry:

Drop the engine out, buy some cheap kitchen and toothbrushes, then get a bucket of soapy suds and scrub away. Rinse well, air dry, then spray it with S100 Engine Brightener. That stuff is the bomb!

Did you guys play any brick polo on your ride?

• Member Contributer

Drop the engine out, buy some cheap kitchen and toothbrushes, then get a bucket of soapy suds and scrub away. Rinse well, air dry, then spray it with S100 Engine Brightener. That stuff is the bomb!

SEBSPEED

Thanks for the advice, now I just need a garage (to do the job) and down time (I try to ride all I can). Will I need any special tools to remove the engine?

Thanks,

No "special" tools required for the engine removal, but you will need at least a Honda manual, and a basic set of quality wrenches, and maybe some large allen sockets, but I'm not sure on the last one. Haven't worked on a 4th gen yet.

You'll have to pull the muffler, header, drain the oil and coolant, pull the radiator, and disconnect the wiring harness, then you should be able to put a jack under the bike while it's on the centerstand, and remove the mount bolts. Take pictures and label your parts as you go.

It will look like new when you're done!

• Member Contributer
No brick polo and no bridges out on this one Seb.

Travis -I would PM Mike and ask him what he uses. :angry:

Just let it sit outside in the rain :angry: :angry:

• Member Contributer

No dogs either? Sounds like a dull time if you ask me!! :angry:

Had a bird almost take Doug's head off, fog so thick it was like it was raining (some spots couldn't see more than 100 feet a head), salt, sand, rocks, and water on the road... so lets just say we were all very focused. But we had some good leaders to keep us all aware. :angry:

NO, there were 2 dogs, they were just slow. Our dog dodging skills are supreme to say the least. We Were dodging sand and salt mines this time, SEB. It was much more fun than bricks. I had a couple 2 wheel drifts myself.

It was cool to have a little slide and look back ans see Travis already sticking his leg out to warn the others of some mud in the road I found.

Remember Travis, I ride as much as anybody but I keep my bikes very clean. So I am an oddity.

A good pressure wash and clean up with wd-40 would help. Some will say dont do that. I have been pressure washing engines for over 20 years.

Your a tech. Use common sense.

Some people dont care how thier engine looks on a bike with a fairing. I still clean my engine as if it were a cruiser.

NO, there were 2 dogs, they were just slow. Our dog dodging skills are supreme to say the least. We Were dodging sand and salt mines this time, SEB. It was much more fun than bricks. I had a couple 2 wheel drifts myself.

It was cool to have a little slide and look back ans see Travis already sticking his leg out to warn the others of some mud in the road I found.

Remember Travis, I ride as much as anybody but I keep my bikes very clean. So I am an oddity.

A good pressure wash and clean up with wd-40 would help. Some will say dont do that. I have been pressure washing engines for over 20 years.

Some people dont care how thier engine looks on a bike with a fairing. I still clean my engine as if it were a cruiser.

ahh sod that just ride the bloody thing :angry:

The sticker is not upside down. I put it on that way because thats the way I wanted it. You are the first to say anything.

My apologies... they usually go the other way up, but I wasn't criticising, just making an observation... I will retract the statement if it offends...

My apologies... they usually go the other way up, but I wasn't criticising, just making an observation... I will retract the statement if it offends...

No, i'm not offended. I knew when I was puting the sticker on that it was upside down to what we usually see on race bikes. I liked it better upside down so thats how I put it. It really just depends on how you look at it. The correct way has always seemed upside down to me.

You are correct, it is upside down. I like to be diffirent.

• Member Contributer

Travis -I would PM Mike and ask him what he uses. :biggrin:

No dogs either? Sounds like a dull time if you ask me!! :beer:

SOICHIRO, I do know how to clean engines, I was just asking everyone, because maybe someone has found a better, faster, cleaner way than I have done in the past. On my quad I always used WD-40 after every wash and it always looked new. I was just asking, I am always looking for ways to improve.

Thanks for your input! smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Atleast you guys got out. Had to take the wifey out for our Aniversery so I didnt get out all weekend. I was very tempted to chase you guys down but that 3 hour ride out and back would have to be in good weather.

• Member Contributer
Atleast you guys got out. Had to take the wifey out for our Aniversery so I didnt get out all weekend. I was very tempted to chase you guys down but that 3 hour ride out and back would have to be in good weather.

That is a hike but we will have many more this year so come on down but the only one you could catch would be the 'Tennis Shoe Kid' on his little 750. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

That is a hike but we will have many more this year so come on down but the only one you could catch would be the 'Tennis Shoe Kid' on his little 750. :rolleyes:

I guess I have a "NAME" now? I guess it could be worse. and by the way, whats wrong with my 750 not everyone can have a 1200, plus I didn't think size mattered (guess my wife lied to me).

Sweet report Doug (and Brian... ) Looks like you had a good time. It rained here... and then it really rained.... followed by rain.

Archived