Fog Free Shields From Snowmobile-land

DougFromIndy

• Member Contributer

fecc_1.jpg

Ok, so I cannot see riding my snowmobile at 85mph, thats kinda dangerous so checking out stuff on Ebay. I spent hours researching this stuff so you don't have to....long story short, I own a Scorpion exo-700 MC helmet, really a nice lid for the money...yes, also use a Shoei X-11 but for the cash the Scorpion is hard to beat, so if you don't have one, an exo-400 (good) or exo-700 (better) can be had for $50 used on ebay, I got mine I think $100, maybe $125 right here on VFRD classy-fieds. So I discover Scorpion makes exo lids for BRP bombadier racing products which is Ski-doo, Sea-doo, Can-AM, they call a BRP snowmo lid a TS-1 = exo-400 and a GS-2 = exo-700 ....so I bring my exo-700 MC raider helmet to a BRP ski-doo dealership and say lemme check out yer shields, guess what? it fits perfectly, is a dual-shield thats insulated against fogging w/this neat little amber sun shield right down the middle of the two shields, so like your modern house windows, no steamy fog to bother you, was $51 and came with a cozy chin screen to keep wind off your face, I think it might have a breath deflector also like a "foggy" but I think I forgot it on ski-doos dealership counter like a dummy. If you are really serious, just go with the electric heated shield, maybe $100, it will NEVER fog, but the $51 is still better than anything made for motorcycles, let me know if you have any questions...ooohh it sez no for motorcycle use on it but don't let that stop you, seeing=safe ....thanks Doug :fing02:

BRP part #s/info: EXO-400 = TS-1 helmet

electric visor (kit P/N 447 300 0000)

regular visor (kit P/N 447 303 0000)

EXO-700 = GS-2 helmet

electric visor (kit P/N 447 305 0000)

regular visor (kit P/N 447 304 0000)

If you are down South and they do not Ski-doo, they may Sea-doo , or hit a Can-AM dealer that sells the 3-wheeled Spyder bike thing.

fbec_1.jpg

This pic shows the amber sun visor in the DOWN position, just move the grey lever and it goes away completely and NO the shield DOES NOT rub anywhere or hit any vents, NO PROBLEMS when using it on a MC helmet.

• Member Contributer

Well that's just about the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Nice little winter project so I can ride when the weather gets a little nicer (25F & snow today)

Thank you for your efforts. :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Merry Christmas!

I am bumping my post as the shield set up above is great.

I am not sure if you got to check it out or not.

Have a great NEW YEAR ! Doug :angry: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I have the Scorpion exo700 but it has a cheap little rubber piece that deflects your breath downward and out of the helmet. It doesn't work so well and looks different than the one that you have in your photo. Did you add that or does that come on the newer ones? Ohh and does it work well?

• Member Contributer

I believe that is a part of the snowmobile shield kit, I think I left it on a parts counter in Saginaw, Michigan. :fing02: Kit should have an updated/better than MC breath deflector. I ordered a respro foggy that I will velcro in my helmet and use along w/basic double-pane snowmo shield.

They also make the same things for HJC helmets and ohers. You HAVE to wear those visors on snowmobiles. I went to the Michigan UP last winter with a few friends and rented some snowmobiles for a few days. Thought I could just wear my HJC Carbon with the standard motorcycle anti-fog sheild. WRONG! Made it about 1/2 way across a 5 or 6 mile frozen lake next to the rental place and the sheild was totally fogged. And within about a minute, that fog was ice. not fun riding the 4 miles back to the shop with no visor in -10 degree weather. But those sheilds do work. They do say not to use them for motorcycles, but I don't see what the problem would be. Maybe they are not as shatter proof???? Not sure. Use at your own risk. I have thought of using one to be able to ride the vfr in colder weather, but need other cold weather gear first.

BTW - Going 85 on a snowmobile is not as crazy as you would think. Just get her out on a nice huge, empty frozen lake, and its like a dragstrip/racetrack on the snow. Got our 2-seater 1000cc "touring" type snowmobiles up to around 90mph indicated on the lake. And it was nowhere near a sporty sled. I know there are some that top out a like 140-150 in stock form. WoW!

fecc_1.jpg

Ok, so I cannot see riding my snowmobile at 85mph, thats kinda dangerous so checking out stuff on Ebay. I spent hours researching this stuff so you don't have to....long story short, I own a Scorpion exo-700 MC helmet, really a nice lid for the money...yes, also use a Shoei X-11 but for the cash the Scorpion is hard to beat, so if you don't have one, an exo-400 (good) or exo-700 (better) can be had for $50 used on ebay, I got mine I think $100, maybe $125 right here on VFRD classy-fieds. So I discover Scorpion makes exo lids for BRP bombadier racing products which is Ski-doo, Sea-doo, Can-AM, they call a BRP snowmo lid a TS-1 = exo-400 and a GS-2 = exo-700 ....so I bring my exo-700 MC raider helmet to a BRP ski-doo dealership and say lemme check out yer shields, guess what? it fits perfectly, is a dual-shield thats insulated against fogging w/this neat little amber sun shield right down the middle of the two shields, so like your modern house windows, no steamy fog to bother you, was $51 and came with a cozy chin screen to keep wind off your face, I think it might have a breath deflector also like a "foggy" but I think I forgot it on ski-doos dealership counter like a dummy. If you are really serious, just go with the electric heated shield, maybe $100, it will NEVER fog, but the $51 is still better than anything made for motorcycles, let me know if you have any questions...ooohh it sez no for motorcycle use on it but don't let that stop you, seeing=safe ....thanks Doug :fing02:

BRP part #s/info: EXO-400 = TS-1 helmet

electric visor (kit P/N 447 300 0000)

regular visor (kit P/N 447 303 0000)

EXO-700 = GS-2 helmet

electric visor (kit P/N 447 305 0000)

regular visor (kit P/N 447 304 0000)

If you are down South and they do not Ski-doo, they may Sea-doo , or hit a Can-AM dealer that sells the 3-wheeled Spyder bike thing.

fbec_1.jpg

This pic shows the amber sun visor in the DOWN position, just move the grey lever and it goes away completely and NO the shield DOES NOT rub anywhere or hit any vents, NO PROBLEMS when using it on a MC helmet.

Great Job ! :blink: I wondered about those myself but didn't follow thru. Looks cool too. :blink:

Interesting... have you tried your X-11 in the cold? I use mine all the time now. I just use the little lever on the left to crack the screen slightly and it never fogs :goofy:

Archived