Track Day At Summit Point

I had the day off on Monday and since there was a trackday happening at the local track just 45 minutes away, I had no choice. I took my '95 VFR750 and '07 CBR600RR race bike out there. I was planning to focus on self-mapping the Bazzaz FI on the CBR and do some suspension tweaking to it as well. I took the muffler off the VFR too to really let it howl, Moto-GP like. Still

not as loud as Buell with a muffler. Everyone was digging it

I did the early two sessions on the VFR to allow for the temp to rise in order to map the CBR in as close to the average conditions I would be racing

in. I did the next two on the CBR. The mapping data was really good and the changes were improvements so I was pleased with that. My suspension changes after the first session were also an improvement, at least by feel. I wasn't running a lap timer though I did have a friend that was timing me sometimes. I can time myself with my videos too.

First session out my friend said I was turning some 1:25 lap times. I was actually surprised. I wasn't really pushing it and the VFR was so effortless to ride at that speed, especially considering how much heavier it is than my SV650 and CBR. It was less effort to ride it than the CBR. Now if only the brakes worked worth a damn in comparison. Getting 500lbs hauled down from 10500rpm in 6th gear with stock gearing is quite a task. The speedo was reading 150-155, not sure what it really was. I have a speedo calibration box on it set for a 17-tooth front sprocket along with a 160 rear tire. My GPS didn't log anything the one session I remembered to take it along in my pocket.

I have some Vesrah pads on the way for the VFR and I was really wishing I had them. The EBC HHs sucked majorly in comparison to the Vesrah RJL and SRJL that I am used to on my SV and CBR. I have Galfer wave rotors too. The brakes didn't have any bite and if I squeezed really hard I would get a lot of pulsing, so trail braking was out of the question. My friend was riding another of our friend's SV and was following me, doing times of 1:23 per lap (good enough to win amateur lightweight races, still three seconds slower than what I do to win expert races). He said he still couldn't go into the turns as hard as I was. I didn't think I was, but it wasn't really by my choice. The bike didn't want to stop. I had to brake a lot sooner than I would on the CBR and SV.

I had more fun railing the VFR than any of the racing on the CBR this year. It's kind of like the SV, but with more top end. The way it smoothly pulls out of turns with a steady level of torque is so sweet. I could hammer it just like the SV and the added weight meant it was even less likely to step out. Now if only I could fit one of my other VFR motors in an SV frame....

I've posted my videos on YouTube. One angle shows mostly the dash, but some track is visible once leaned over. For the other the lens was mounted on top of the dash. In the videos the VFR and SV sound very similar. I don't have any pics yet, but the pros there taking photos have them posted here

http://www.racedayphoto.com/

Pages 46, 49, 56, 57 of the racer group has me on the VFR #6, pages 70, 76, and 80 on the CBR.

Videos here

The surface isn't as good as it was during the first races in May. It got messed up again after that. It was good but not the best for the races in early September, but then they put more sealant crap on most of the turns. For the trackday it was decent but the sealant isn't real confidence-inspiring and it takes time to trust it.

This is my video setup. http://www.cedigital.com/xcart/product.php...=1&featured

Great Videos! If only I could get the audio on my Archos recorder to sound as good (without the wind noise). What video setup are you using?

:biggrin:

The sound on your video set-up sounds awesome. All the engine noise without the wind.

• Member Contributer

Man that was SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. I love that sound and Dude you got some mad skills.

However, is that track as flat as it looks?

Have you ever been down to Barber's in B-Ham Al.

I've been at Barber once and I would rather ride there than on the street cause it is much safer.

Anyway thanks for the vids.

PS...........I go to Barber each year for the Superbike races it is the 3rd weekend in April. But who knows what is going to happen this year???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool, I made the featured reports. :laugh:

Man that was SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. I love that sound and Dude you got some mad skills.

However, is that track as flat as it looks?

Have you ever been down to Barber's in B-Ham Al.

I've been at Barber once and I would rather ride there than on the street cause it is much safer.

Anyway thanks for the vids.

PS...........I go to Barber each year for the Superbike races it is the 3rd weekend in April. But who knows what is going to happen this year???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's got some elevation, not as much as Barber though.

This will give you an idea. sp_main.gif

I've raced at Barber four times. It's my favorite track. I've got some onboard race footage from it and other tracks this year here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SVbadguy

Archived