Pro-oiler Install "how To", Vtec Vfr

Guest rad

Could you take some pics of how much fling off there is after using it? I'm rather intrigued by this pro oiler idea, but am not sure about the fling off.

You can always find your back home by following the oil spots...

OilLeak.jpg

"my old harley must be close to you I see the tracks in your drive way" :blink:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest motorhead1977

I am always amazed at how things come full circle! Pro oiler sounds like a great product and useful too. But..... My old Harleys were always accused of having oil leaks when the chain oiler system got out of adjustment. A small line ran off the oil pump over to the chain side and dripped a drop of oil on the chain every so often to keep it lubed - pre- o-ring chains - if the oil was too thin or the oiler out of adjustment (set by a small adjusting screw at the oil pump) then when you parked there would be oil spots on the ground having dripped off the chain. HD used that system from I believe the early 30's through the late 1970's - last one I had an oiler on was a custom construction with a 1977 model year engine. Great thread except that I now have another thing I want to buy for my VFR. BTW, how much was the pro oiler?

I am always amazed at how things come full circle! Pro oiler sounds like a great product and useful too. But..... My old Harleys were always accused of having oil leaks when the chain oiler system got out of adjustment. A small line ran off the oil pump over to the chain side and dripped a drop of oil on the chain every so often to keep it lubed - pre- o-ring chains - if the oil was too thin or the oiler out of adjustment (set by a small adjusting screw at the oil pump) then when you parked there would be oil spots on the ground having dripped off the chain. HD used that system from I believe the early 30's through the late 1970's - last one I had an oiler on was a custom construction with a 1977 model year engine. Great thread except that I now have another thing I want to buy for my VFR. BTW, how much was the pro oiler?

Hey great to hear someone else who remembers those old "HAWGS". :blink: The oiler was not the only reason mine was trailing oil but I thought I had the coolest bike in highschool. :blush: Ah the day's of straight pipe's and gettin hasseled by the law because I rode a bike and refused to cut my hair. :blink:

Back to the oiler, I agree that the oiler is a good idea but I like to lube the chain myself and really get a good look at everything down there before most every ride. Thats just me.

I have contacted Pro Oiler about a group buy...figured it might get us a deal and shipping would be less painful for the US folks at least, and possibly the Canadians as well. I will start a thread in Bargain Finder when I get the details about price tiers etc.

• Member Contributer
I have contacted Pro Oiler about a group buy...figured it might get us a deal and shipping would be less painful for the US folks at least, and possibly the Canadians as well. I will start a thread in Bargain Finder when I get the details about price tiers etc.

My GF will be glad to hear that! See's gonna get me one for Xmas! :biggrin:

See if you can get it set up to be shipped out in time. :blink:

My GF will be glad to hear that! See's gonna get me one for Xmas! :biggrin:

See if you can get it set up to be shipped out in time. :blink:

Depends how late Christmas comes at your house....if people had 3 weeks to opt in that wouldn't leave enough time to ship sad.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
No question about it, the rear wheel has fling on it, not a lot, but more than a conventional good sticking chain lube or wax. If your top priority is the looks of your rear wheel, auto oilers are not your best choice.

Any updates?

Reflections on chain life, dependability, etc...

No question about it, the rear wheel has fling on it, not a lot, but more than a conventional good sticking chain lube or wax. If your top priority is the looks of your rear wheel, auto oilers are not your best choice.

Any updates?

Reflections on chain life, dependability, etc...

I will never again run a chain bike, that I use daily, without it having a Pro-oiler. I don't know if the chain lasts longer, not enough miles yet, but I can tell you that I have not had to adjust the chain in 7,000 + miles (I need to check that figure), that is not super unusual; however, my chain is spotless and I have not cleaned it once!!!!!!

The most I do is clean my bike, including my wheels, every couple of weeks, never touching the chain.

It has rained most of the winter and all I do is up the flow rate on wet days by pushing the button on the dash remote...Very cool.

• 1 month later...

The Group Buy is on! We have until 4/18/09 to solidfy the order count. See this thread for more details http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50205

Discount depends on order quantity, so if you are thinking of a Pro Oiler for your VFR or another bike, or have a friend who is, jump on in!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

YAAAAAA!

I FINALLY got it all working.

It wasn't picking up the speedo sensor. Thats when I figured out that the "Posi-Tap" wasn't quite as "posi" as it appeared. The little needle deflected and missed the core of the pink wire. Take it apart, try again and blam! No problems. And no EMI.

Installed a vista-cruise while I was at it. Now I can be double extra lazy! :blink:

YAAAAAA!

It wasn't picking up the speedo sensor. Thats when I figured out that the "Posi-Tap" wasn't quite as "posi" as it appeared. The little needle deflected and missed the core of the pink wire. Take it apart, try again and blam! No problems. And no EMI.

Installed a vista-cruise while I was at it. Now I can be double extra lazy! :blink:

It took a couple of tries for me to get good contact with the Posi-Tap. My oiler stopped working one day and I discovered that the Posi-Tap I used on the power lead from the tail light just came unscrewed for some reason. I have now taped it so it can't back out again.

Enjoy yours, I think you will find you like it.

• Member Contributer
YAAAAAA!

What setting did you finally wind up on? I left mine on the default and it looked like Table 17, setting 3 was a little too much...of course that could be because i didn't properly clean the chain and ended up with globs of grease coming off it...I backed it off a little for the time being..

What setting did you finally wind up on? I left mine on the default and it looked like Table 17, setting 3 was a little too much...of course that could be because i didn't properly clean the chain and ended up with globs of grease coming off it...I backed it off a little for the time being..

It will do that for a while until the chain becomes clean. I think the default settings are pretty good. I've run mine about 10,000 miles now. We have had a fair amount of wet and rain this winter so the weekend before last was my first long highway run in dry weather. I did 800 miles in two days, with some short stretches over 100mph. I discovered that the #3 setting is a bit high for extended highway runs in dry weather. I just started turning mine down to 2.

Edited by rad

• Member Contributer

I put mine on at the same time as a new chain and sprockets, so it's not rinsing dirt out, so much as it's having to fight the thick grease that a new chain comes with. I'm kinda worried that this heavy grease will plug up the applicator nozzles, so I'm keeping an eye on that. But so far, so good. It'll get its first extended test on the trip to TMac.

Meanwhile the Hawke Oiler continues to pee oil on my garage floor, as the V-Strom sits parked waiting for me to finish this water pump seal job. And the Scottoiler isn't installed on the TDM yet. So the Pro-Oiler's winning my comparo so far.

• Member Contributer

It will do that for a while until the chain becomes clean. I think the default settings are pretty good. I've run mine about 10,000 miles now. We have had a fair amount of wet and rain this winter so the weekend before last was my first long highway run in dry weather. I did 800 miles in two days, with some short stretches over 100mph. I discovered that the #3 setting is a bit high for extended highway runs in dry weather. I just started turning mine down to 2.

Thanks....Most of the weekend was some highway stuff soo..... maybe I'll do what I can and help clean the chain..it's fairly new so it has some of the thick stuff on it that elizilla mentions. But the sprocket is nice and clean right now...those were new as well.

Edited by Gregg

• Member Contributer
I put mine on at the same time as a new chain and sprockets, so it's not rinsing dirt out, so much as it's having to fight the thick grease that a new chain comes with. I'm kinda worried that this heavy grease will plug up the applicator nozzles, so I'm keeping an eye on that. But so far, so good. It'll get its first extended test on the trip to TMac.

Meanwhile the Hawke Oiler continues to pee oil on my garage floor, as the V-Strom sits parked waiting for me to finish this water pump seal job. And the Scottoiler isn't installed on the TDM yet. So the Pro-Oiler's winning my comparo so far.

When I first put my Hawke Oiler on it also dripped, but John sent out check valves at a later date that stopped the dripping. I no longer have that problem. You might check and make sure you got yours and it's put on in the correct direction.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm...

So, I've only had it on for a day, and I have been running it basically wide open...

But, are you guys seeing a lot of fling INFRONT of your sprocket on the Swingarm (basically all over the nozzle)?

In addition to all that fling there, my chain seems kinda dry on the actual rollers, and black grease still on the links...

• Member Contributer
Hmmm...

So, I've only had it on for a day, and I have been running it basically wide open...

But, are you guys seeing a lot of fling INFRONT of your sprocket on the Swingarm (basically all over the nozzle)?

In addition to all that fling there, my chain seems kinda dry on the actual rollers, and black grease still on the links...

I had gotten mine going this past Saturday morning, and I ran it all weekend basically on setting 3 of Table 17....and yes I did notice oil in the exact spot you mention....my rollers looked wet though, but the links are still dirty..

• Member Contributer
Hmmm...

I had gotten mine going this past Saturday morning, and I ran it all weekend basically on setting 3 of Table 17....and yes I did notice oil in the exact spot you mention....my rollers looked wet though, but the links are still dirty..

Mine seems to be throwing black grime all over the hub. How is it managing to fling in towards the center of the wheel? It's very odd. But I only have about 40 miles on it so far - I finished it Friday night, then spent all the rest of the weekend messing with water pump seals on the V-Strom instead of riding. I still haven't even fed out all of the red stuff that came in the pump. (What is the red stuff, anyway? Maybe I should cycle it through "prime" a few more times, and push that red stuff on out.)

Hmmm...

Running wide open :fing02: How come?

You will notice very little oil on the rollers themselves. Re-read the instructions, it will tell you how to check the chain for the proper level of oil that should be on it.

As for the fling, you will find fling all over your rear wheel depending on how fast you have it set. As has been said, if you are after a clean rear wheel, don't get an oiler. I wash my bike once a week and clean the rear wheel at the same time.

• Member Contributer
[ I still haven't even fed out all of the red stuff that came in the pump. (What is the red stuff, anyway? Maybe I should cycle it through "prime" a few more times, and push that red stuff on out.)

I don't know what it is either but I think it's ATF so you can see it easily. I added mobil 1 syn (only open bottle I had on hand) and it's pretty hard to see in the line once I purged all the red out.

Can't say anything about fling yet as my RCBVFR is currently sans front wheel but UPS will fix that today with delivery of an SP2 RC51 hoop. :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I am having problem with the Pro-oiler,

I installed it all as per great instruction provided by Rad and it was fairly easy.

i then turn the ignition key on to power it up and then press on the " + " button to prime the line, i heard a small pulse for 2 seconds then it stopped.

Tried again without success.

Now everytime i power on i get an CF ERR message on the display

Can someone help me out !

Now everytime i power on i get an CF ERR message on the display

That indicates the PO doesn't have a setting for the correction fator. If you haven't programmed the value into the system than start there.