Baghdad Flaf?!?!?!?!

• Member Contributer

Greetings from the sand box. Been here nearly 4 weeks now and begining to miss home and riding. Getting here was a 2 day effort.....with a thrilling spiral drop landing in the back of a C-130 into Baghdad. The crazy landing pattern is done to minimize ground fire threats....sort of like being on the Dragon and your Throttlemeister stuck wide upon on your bike. I quickly came to dislike the heat and sand......it's not quite the same sand we are accustomed to on our beaches....this is fine dust (like baby powder) It gets in everything and everywhere. If you have any winds above a breeze....it picks up all of the sand and you're in for a dust storm. The first week we had a good one (rated an 8.5 out of 10 by those who have been here a while). The sky turns bloody red and you feel like you're on Mars (see picture below!).

gallery_9339_2943_4884.jpg

Baghdad Sand Storm

Although things here are getting better each day...the majority of the violence right now is sectarian based...Sunnis and Shias clashing. The holy month of Ramadan was in effect for most of September (feasting from sun rise to sun set) once it finished last week....the bombings, killings and rocket attacks picked up once again. Many of you are armed forces veterans, possibly served here and/or have family/friends serving....keep them in your thoughts and prayers. The service men and women are an inspiration to me when I see them out in the red zone or coming in beat from a long day or night of missions!!!

A couple of pictures from Iraq.......brought my Texas Mac shirt with me (unofficial FLAF....plus it's black so you can't see any signatures...even if you tried!!) Had my picture taken at the 'cross swords' parade field in Baghdad w/ my shirt as a recognition of VFRD...

gallery_9339_2943_155760.jpg

VFRD - Baghdad

The following picture was taken at one of the forward operating bases....several large Saddam heads were secured because otherwise they would have been cut up by locals and destroyed....

gallery_9339_2943_27344.jpg

Picture1.jpg

As far as motorcycles in Iraq....you see a whole mix from scooters to sub 500cc bikes. The Iraqi National Police received a large donation of police bikes from Japan as part of the reconstruction efforts....Yamaha, Suzuki....and HONDA!

ai092804a1.jpg

610x.jpg

340x.jpg

Well.....ride safe...enjoy the Fall weather....cause here it goes directly from summer to summer. Next time I'll send a few pics from the local traffic....good luck wanting to ride around these neck of the woods!

• Member Contributer

Hey thanks for the write up! Do you get your own regional section of the forums?

It's nice to see everyone can enjoy riding. I now have something in common with Iraqi LEOs smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Great to hear from you!

keep your head down and keep the pix coming!

-t

Thanks for going over there. We appreciate your sacrifice. Having been in the first gulf war you have my heartfelt sympathy on the sand thing. :unsure:

Watch your back and shake your boots. We'll be prayin' for ya'

• Member Contributer

Hey BUDDY.....Great to hear from you. Glad you're OK. Enjoyed the Pics......get on home soon as you can........... :unsure:

I lost a family member over there about 3 years ago. I have been prraying for the safe return of all our troops. I know it takes great sacrifice and I am gratefull for all you do! Now come home safe!

• Member Contributer

Great pics but mostly I want to thank you for what you do. :unsure: Agree with the war or not, you all should be in our prayers for a safe & quick return.

Thanks again!

Be safe & keep us posted.

• Member Contributer

I see you're a DOD civilian but I still appreciate your work there. Its always a sacrifice to be that far from family. What kinda work ya involved in over there?

• Member Contributer

First off, thanks for keeping us a free nation and risking your own neck and limb for ours. Secondly stay safe and thanks for the pics. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Nice pictures indeed.

Thank you for keeping the oil flowing!!! tongue.gif

My bike sure as hell won't run on the value of my stock options these days........ :beer:

Archived