Help! - Need Hard Bags Key Replacement

Penetrator

I need help. I was at a Dirt Bike race last Saturday in Skippack, PA. I parked my bike, opened my left side hard bag and put my helmet in the bag and locked it. I walked away from the bike, but then decided it was too hot to wear my jacket, so I decided to lock my jacket ing the right side hard bag. I fished the key out of my pocket, and as I was attempting to insert it into the lock, I noticed that the key was broken in half. It was my only key. The other half was in my pocket. I have a real dilemma. I did not mind riding home helmet-less, but I need to get into the bags. Does anyone know how can I obtain a key from Givi or Honda? The key has a number on it, but I do not know where to call. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Penetrator

• Member Contributer

Check w. Twisted Throttle. They sell a LOT of Givi stuff, have excellent customer service, and would be a good place to start. www.twistedthrottle.com

Good Luck!

Check w. Twisted Throttle. They sell a LOT of Givi stuff, have excellent customer service, and would be a good place to start. www.twistedthrottle.com

Good Luck!

Thanks. I checked out their website before posting, but I did not see anything. I will give thenm a call.

• Member Contributer

call Givi for advice, 1-877-679-GIVI

Its no big deal...I bought a single hardbag on ebay, no key, locked...broke into with a screwdriver (now it was off the bike so maybe much easier) and fitted a new tumbler, bent bracket back into shape and was good to go. I think givi will just sent you another identical key for that # cut that you have, they would recognize the number and send a perfect key out. The tumblers remove easily, I have my trunk keyed the same as hardbags and will even match my yamaha red givi key to be the same as the Honda, so one red key works all 4 givi bags, thanks Doug

• Member Contributer

Also I used to cut keys every Saturday at Ace Hardware....If you have both halves of the key to bring into a hardware store with an old ilco cutter machine, they can clamp both pieces in the vise on one side, find you a blank and duplicate it from the broken key.

• Member Contributer

I changed my Givis to key them all alike. Twisted Throttle sells lock sets for up to five cases to be keyed alike. They're easy to change. If you want some of the locks and keys I took out, drop me a PM - they're still perfectly usable.

Or post up the number - maybe someone here has keys with those numbers and can send you one. I'm certainly willing to check mine for you.

People sure are funny about keys. I was on a ride about 250 miles away from home and we all stopped for lunch. We we were getting ready to leave and no motorcycle key. We looked around for a few minutes with no luck, so I pulled my wallet out and got the spare key that I always carry. Not a big deal. I asked the other 9 guys there how many had a spare key. Talk about blank looks. lol. Not one had a spare key. BTW, I found my key in one on my pockets, so I guess I really don't need a spare. :rolleyes:

I always carry 2 keys, both for the bike n the bags, on 2 different key rings..

As for getting a new key, call a local lock smith.. I dropped off a lock once to get a key made and it only cost me 10.00, I didnt have a key to copy either so he had to figure out what the key was and the code..

• 2 weeks later...
what 3 digit number is on the key? Ive got some extra Givi keys and it worth a try to put them to use.

You guys are the best. The key number is 155. Do you have it?

I changed my Givis to key them all alike. Twisted Throttle sells lock sets for up to five cases to be keyed alike. They're easy to change. If you want some of the locks and keys I took out, drop me a PM - they're still perfectly usable.

Or post up the number - maybe someone here has keys with those numbers and can send you one. I'm certainly willing to check mine for you.

The key number is 155. I posted the number on a another post. I hope someone has it. I would hate to ruin the bags with a screwdriver. I have a custom paint job. Thanks

I'm not sure how you would only have 1 key. j/k When I ordered my bags, I think they sent me about 6!!!

I bought the bags on eBay from a guy who totaled his bike. I guess he lost the other key when he crashed. He only sent me one.

• Member Contributer

most, but not all keyed locks have a number on the face of the lock. most any good locksmith can look this code number up and cut a new key exactly like the original. the number on the key is the series of the keystock it was made from. this info is not terribly important, they often don't have the exact blank so they just match another style. i do this all the time when buy used tool boxes and roll-aways including one gun cabinet that had the number on the face of the lock. my smithe charges $8 to cut a key from code. only $2 to copy with a hard brass blank. any rider that has done a track day knows the value of the spare key. someone always shows up with bike in truck or trailer only to find out the keys are still at home, five hundred miles away!

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure how you would only have 1 key. j/k When I ordered my bags, I think they sent me about 6!!!

That's exactly what I was thinking, I think I've got 6 or 8 keys that came with my bags.

Sidenote: Are the Hondaline bags contracted through Givi, or am I misunderstanding this? Penetrator's sig says "OEM Hardbags custom painted" but everyone's pointing him to Givi?

I bought the bags on eBay from a guy who totaled his bike. I guess he lost the other key when he crashed. He only sent me one.

AAAAAND that's what I get for not reading until the end before posting....

I pulled my wallet out and got the spare key that I always carry.

I haven't been carrying a spare ignition key, but I've hidden a spare hardbag key in my toolpouch under the seat.

So I guess if I lost my ignition key, I'd be hosed! If I were a thinkin' man, I'd put a spare ignition key in a hardbag, so as long as I've got one key, I'd never be stuck...

• Member Contributer

I know this topic is slightly dated, but I broke a GIVI key once. It literally fell out of my hand when I inserted it into the lock, so I know I didn't force it. In any case, instead of breaking into the bag, I was able to use the stub to turn the tumbler since most of the key was stuck in the lock. I took out the lock and then I was able to drill a small hole into the back and forced the broken bit out.

• 6 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Regarding spare keys, if I'm on the road away from home I carry a spare ignition and bag key in my jeans pocket and they never leave the pocket. I do wear leather pants over my jeans. Can't have too many pockets. Having too many pockets can be a disadvantage if you cannot remember what is where. Don't ask me how I know. :ph34r:

Archived