Low/no Cost Farkles

Guest RRW

• Member Contributer

Okay, here are some pics taken outdoors with my digital camera. Although I think they came out good, if I could do it over again, I'd use medium and fine sandpaper not heavy, medium, and fine. The best thing to do is what Travis did and simply sandblast the parts.

The only winter project I've got planned is to do something about the cheap paint Honda used on the subframe. I still haven't decided how to tackle it so I'm definitely gonna do a search on this forum to get some ideas. At that time, I might sand the shields one final time with ultra-fine sandpaper.

cans001.jpg

cans002.jpg

cans004.jpg

cans003.jpg

• Member Contributer
I liked the look of the bike without the chainguard while I was changing out my chain and sprockets last Spring. So I left it off and just used a piece of aluminum, bent it at right angles, drilled a few holes in it, and hooked it up to the brake lines to keep them from hitting the chain. Cost me a whole $4 making this bracket.

gallery_12318_3774_486505.jpg

Picture 069.jpg

gallery_12318_3774_282167.jpg

Picture 068.jpg

gallery_12318_3774_664194.jpg

Picture 067.jpg

gallery_12318_4009_46416.jpg

Picture 145.jpg

I plan to get the ss braided brake lines and running them through the swingarm for next season though.

Damn, that looks good; I've always hated the look of the chaingaurd. I hope you don't mind me copying your idea... 'cause I'm gonna!

• Member Contributer

Picture 145.jpg

I plan to get the ss braided brake lines and running them through the swingarm for next season though.

You've done an outstanding job taking care of my one big complaint with VFRs (most gens): big, heavy-looking tail-sections. Once you get the lines through the swingarm (something I'll likely do this winter too), you're gonna need a prettier wheel, 'cause you'll sure be showing it off!!

I've never quite had the nerve to get rid of the chain-guard completely. I have visions of something getting dragged into the chain (I know, not likely). So I made my chainguard out of a free piece of L-channel aluminum:

gallery_5128_669_78167.jpg

Mistresses.jpg

• Member Contributer

Picture 145.jpg

You've done an outstanding job taking care of my one big complaint with VFRs (most gens): big, heavy-looking tail-sections. Once you get the lines through the swingarm (something I'll likely do this winter too), you're gonna need a prettier wheel, 'cause you'll sure be showing it off!!

I've never quite had the nerve to get rid of the chain-guard completely. I have visions of something getting dragged into the chain (I know, not likely). So I made my chainguard out of a free piece of L-channel aluminum:

gallery_5128_669_78167.jpg

Mistresses.jpg

That aluminum chainguard looks good. You did a great job on that. Can't wait to put lines through swingarm too.

Sorry, I haven't got my bike at work with me today, but a couple of cheap farkles I've done are to remove the "air guide" from below the swingarm (WTF is it for anyway?!?), the centre cap from the hub, and bought some chromed Honda Civic wheel nuts to replace the standard dull VFR ones. They're practically the same size, just slightly different taper on the inward end. I wasn't game to remove the chainguard even though it's ugly, as too much chain spooge finds its way around the bike as it is.

Another no-cost farkle that was on my bike when I bought it was cutouts in the tail cowl so I don't have to remove the pillion grab handles to fit the tail cowl. I had to enlarge these slightly with a laminate trimmer though, as the handles are higher than stock due to the Ventura pack rack I fitted.

I also have the unique VFR800Canuck 'racing' lightened footpeg brackets that he kindly gave me to replace my bent ones. They were cheap - cost me ~NZ$30 to be shipped on a SlowBoatViaChina (8 week trip, IIRC). Thanks Rob! :goofy:

Edited by enzed_viffer

• Member Contributer

Iva got a couple... first.. my El-cheapo helmet lock....... 'cause hondas version is a disgrace!!! cost me less than 10 bucks....

gallery_10917_2781_27634.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_44618.jpg

HPIM0158.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_32315.jpg

HPIM0164.jpg

• Member Contributer

heres another..... Garage door opener.... works sweet...... cost me 3 bucks at radio shack.... the remote was a spare....

gallery_10917_2781_3767.jpg

HPIM0165.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_18227.jpg

HPIM0167.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_76037.jpg

HPIM0170.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_22181.jpg

HPIM0173.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_7174.jpg

HPIM0171.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_4440.jpg

HPIM0174.jpg

I did a custom fender eliminator. Just took all the plastic off and used the mounting bracket. I attached the old license plate with some bolts and the new plate is attached to the old plate.

DSCI0232.jpg

Iva got a couple... first.. my El-cheapo helmet lock....... 'cause hondas version is a disgrace!!! cost me less than 10 bucks....

gallery_10917_2781_32315.jpg

HPIM0164.jpg

I lack your fabrication skills so I just bought some of THESE from Cycle Gear. They even work with the hard bags on. I just leave them under the seat on the hooks so they are there whenever I need them...

heres another..... Garage door opener.... works sweet...... cost me 3 bucks at radio shack.... the remote was a spare....

gallery_10917_2781_4440.jpg

HPIM0174.jpg

Again, I lack your fabrication skills, so I bought one of THESE off eBay for like $15 and put it on the keychain. Not quite as clean, but works just the same!

• Member Contributer
Okay, here are some pics taken outdoors with my digital camera. Although I think they came out good, if I could do it over again, I'd use medium and fine sandpaper not heavy, medium, and fine.

cans001.jpg

Looks good!

(BTW- you guys and your perfectly clean chains make me sick!)

• Member Contributer
(BTW- you guys and your perfectly clean chains make me sick!)

Clean chain? I don't think my swingarm has EVER been that clean. Even when I bought my '00 new off the showroom floor!

I like my mistress a little dirty tho :biggrin:

I did a custom fender eliminator. Just took all the plastic off and used the mounting bracket. I attached the old license plate with some bolts and the new plate is attached to the old plate.

I did the same thing to mine! +1.gif

So far no attention from the fuzz for a sideways license plate with no tag light -- but since the brake light shines down on it sort of it might be legit. In either case, it was free!

Edited by evad

Sorry, I haven't got my bike at work with me today, but a couple of cheap farkles I've done are to remove the "air guide" from below the swingarm (WTF is it for anyway?!?),

(snip)

I also have the unique VFR800Canuck 'racing' lightened footpeg brackets that he kindly gave me to replace my bent ones. They were cheap - cost me ~NZ$30 to be shipped on a SlowBoatViaChina (8 week trip, IIRC). Thanks Rob! :laugh:

Yr welcome Ian, hope they're better then your tweaked ones.

BTW, the "air guide" is there to prevent ones toes from becoming entangled in the chain/sprocket interface zone whilst crashing the motorcycle. Was originally invented by MC roadracers long ago.

BUT, Honda doesn't want to GUARANTEE that it'll prevent such injuries (because their Lawyers told them that's bad for business) so they call it an "air guide" insted of an "anti-toe mangling guide".

You really can't sue them if your air isn't being guided properly, now can you?

• 2 months later...
Guest OneSided
BUT, Honda doesn't want to GUARANTEE that it'll prevent such injuries (because their Lawyers told them that's bad for business) so they call it an "air guide" insted of an "anti-toe mangling guide".

You really can't sue them if your air isn't being guided properly, now can you?

I hereby call for a class action suit to be filed against the corporate frauds at Honda. That for all these years they have lied to us and told us that our air was being guided properly. Oh, the Humanity!!!!!!!

Edited by OneSided

• Member Contributer

A nice aftermarket cosmetic rear wheel cover cost big bucks from Germany (approx. $150) so I came up with an idea for making one myself. I cut the steering stem off an bent triple I had lying around (doesn't everyone?). smile.gif

IMG_6248.jpg

I made the cut so as to include both sets of threads.

IMG_6251.jpg

I threaded one set of the leftover washers and nuts for the backside of the wheel

IMG_6253.jpg

and for the outside, I used the spacer and the nicer chromed nut that typically mounts on top of the triple.

BigBendweb.jpg

Next I cut a circular disk from some thin metal stock, painted it black to match, installed it over the spacer, and threaded the chrome nut on for a single nut look. The original four lug nuts are still properly torqued down underneath it.

• Member Contributer

Very,very cool! But it needs a "knock-off spinner"

BigBendweb.jpg

This is a custom rear wheel a friend of mine machined out of a solid block of alloy.......note Knock-Off Spinner

RearWheel-vi.jpg

This is a custom rear wheel a friend of mine machined out of a solid block of alloy.......note Knock-Off Spinner

RearWheel-vi.jpg

One hell of a machine and operator to get those spokes and the wheel out of one chunk, see if he can get me one for the VFR same style and witdh as the pic for under a bill. SWEET!