Honda Luggage, Group Buy

trekman5

• Member Contributer

Looked at archives and didn't see anything recent on group buy for hard luggage. Has it been brought up before to try a group buy for either Honda or Givi hard luggage?

Personally, just looking for Honda factory top box and rack, but with good enough pricing would consider the side bags too.

Timing - honestly, not ready to drop that much right now, but could be by end or year or even early spring. Reason for posting now is to give time for others to consider this since it is a higher cost, and potentially allow for a larger group to participate, which may (or may not) yield a better group rate.

Thoughts?

Scot

'04 VFR800 (Red) :-)

Micron exhaust, Givi touring screen, NEP throttle lock, Fender eliminator, Custom decals (adds 10 hp)... :fing02:

Looked at archives and didn't see anything recent on group buy for hard luggage. Has it been brought up before to try a group buy for either Honda or Givi hard luggage?

Personally, just looking for Honda factory top box and rack, but with good enough pricing would consider the side bags too.

Timing - honestly, not ready to drop that much right now, but could be by end or year or even early spring. Reason for posting now is to give time for others to consider this since it is a higher cost, and potentially allow for a larger group to participate, which may (or may not) yield a better group rate.

Thoughts?

Scot

Micron exhaust, Givi touring screen, NEP throttle lock, Fender eliminator, Custom decals (adds 10 hp)... :fing02:

Not a bad idea; especially since someone like David Silver Spares could be sitting on what's soon to be a non-current model's stock.

Also, he's global in shipping, so they could probably handle distribution easily.

I'm only suggesting them because I really haven't seen better prices on new OEM bags anywhere else.

The worst they can say is no.

Anyone else?

• Member Contributer

For those who already have hard luggage, please share why you went with Honda or Givi.

For those who are interested in Honda luggage, why?

For those who are interested in Givi luggage, why?

Any ideas for where to go to request group buy pricing?

• Member Contributer
For those who already have hard luggage, please share why you went with Honda or Givi.

For those who are interested in Honda luggage, why?

For those who are interested in Givi luggage, why?

Any ideas for where to go to request group buy pricing?

The honda luggage will not fit on the 5th generations, whereas the GIVI's will. Besides, it' my understanding that both are actually manufactured by the same company. (though I could be wrong)

• Member Contributer

I'm assuming that we are talking about 6th gen here.

In that case, I vote for Givis, since that opens it up to a larger group of people on the site. I'd be interested, but I can't commit until spring.

• Member Contributer
I'm assuming that we are talking about 6th gen here.

In that case, I vote for Givis, since that opens it up to a larger group of people on the site. I'd be interested, but I can't commit until spring.

I see no reason why we can't select a set of GIVI bags that will fit on either generation. The only thing that would be different would be the fit kit.

I was going back and forth on the V35 Givi bags and Honda OEM. I had pretty much settled on the Givi, but was still nagged with how far they seemed to sit from the bike compared to the OEM bags (looked like an extra couple of inches at least in the pictures). So I decided to keep looking around a bit and found a black OEM set (I've got an '07 red) for < $600. I figured even if I had to get them painted it would only end up ~$100 more than the Givis. In the end I decided the black looked good on the bike.

I was going back and forth on the V35 Givi bags and Honda OEM. I had pretty much settled on the Givi, but was still nagged with how far they seemed to sit from the bike compared to the OEM bags (looked like an extra couple of inches at least in the pictures). So I decided to keep looking around a bit and found a black OEM set (I've got an '07 red) for < $600. I figured even if I had to get them painted it would only end up ~$100 more than the Givis. In the end I decided the black looked good on the bike.

Where did you get your oem bags.? I have a 06 black, the cheapest quote I got is $750.00

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Some luggage options:

OEM pricing:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/part_31806/

375 GBP + ~100 GBP shipping = 475 GBP total. Conversion of ~$1.73 USD per GBP = ~$821 USD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GIVI pricing:

V46 top case - $246 (+ extra for color)

FZ166 top case rack - $161

V35 side cases - $491 (+ extra for color)

PLX166 side case rack - $170

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2807/579/

Total = ~ $1061

Personally, I'm looking for just a top case. Would only buy side cases if pricing was very favorable. Timing - most likely in the spring. Group buy options then??? Any favorable pricing experiences worth sharing?

So I decided to keep looking around a bit and found a black OEM set (I've got an '07 red) for < $600.

Where did you get your oem bags.? I have a 06 black, the cheapest quote I got is $750.00

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I found the set on craigslist.

You can get them on eBay for around that price as well. Even though I've already got a set, I check eBay a couple of times a month to see if any are available and what price they end up going for.

OEM pricing:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/part_31806/

375 GBP + ~100 GBP shipping = 475 GBP total. Conversion of ~$1.73 USD per GBP = ~$821 USD.

Not bad, given that that is a full set with all the mounting hardware.

I would be in for a set of OEM Honda bags. 06 White is my 1st choice. Then the blue to match my RWB colors. I want a REALLY good price though, since I can get them for $800ish nearly anytime from various sources.

I'd be interested in the top box and possibly the sides depending on pricing. I have a 5th gen though and it seems most have the 6th in this post...

Thoughts?

Scot

What do you have in mind for the timing?

I don't know if someone has already taken charge of the ordering, but I could conduct the group buy from Givi or Honda, I am at a dealer and have all the resources to use Paypal, credit card, checks and then ship out with UPS promptly.

Let me know...

• Member Contributer

One thing: if you do go with DSS, could we negotiate so you don't HAVE to ship via such speedy (read:expensive) UPS freight option? It's extortionately high and I really don't need anything shipped expedited UPS or similar so as to have it in three or four days from the UK.

I mean to say I never ordered anything from them because it seemed like a waste to spend $120 or more on shipping, plus the probably import duty if assessed, etc. Just my opinion.

Archived