How To Modify Suspension Settings For 2-up Track Riding?

sckego

• Member Contributer

My fiancee and I are 2 weeks away from doing our first 2-up trackday, and I'm wondering how much I should be adjusting my suspension to account for the extra weight. At one of the trackdays I did last year, I took my bike to the local suspension guru and had him adjust it to my weight, so it's set up pretty well for me (200 lbs geared up). However, now it's going to have another 110 lbs on the passenger seat. Is there any rule-of-thumb for "add this much weight, increase rear preload by x clicks, front by x turns" or anything like that? I'd like to be able to just adjust it myself when we get there, and then turn it back to the way it is now once we're done. Bike is an '04 with completely stock suspension.

Thanks for any help!

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can help without measuring and setting sag again with both of you on the bike in riding position. I would make sure to write down your current preload setting, and the new one when you get it, so you can go back and forth.

Hopefully, there will be a couple extra people at the track to help out. If your suspension is stock, it's probably safe to say that maxing out preload is your solution. Take it easy out there with her on the back! You'll have less ground clearance for sure. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can help without measuring and setting sag again with both of you on the bike in riding position. I would make sure to write down your current preload setting, and the new one when you get it, so you can go back and forth.

Hopefully, there will be a couple extra people at the track to help out. If your suspension is stock, it's probably safe to say that maxing out preload is your solution. Take it easy out there with her on the back! You'll have less ground clearance for sure. :fing02:

Surely there will be someone at the track with some assistance on this. Having owned two VFRs and the first one used several times for 2-up riding, stock suspension is gonna' be pretty "iffy" even in it's heaviest settings for hard 2-up duty.......... :rolleyes:

Hopefully, there will be a couple extra people at the track to help out. If your suspension is stock, it's probably safe to say that maxing out preload is your solution. Take it easy out there with her on the back! You'll have less ground clearance for sure. :rolleyes:

%201.gif

Max out preload on the rear for sure, heavier springs would be the best solution. Stock's not even adequate for you alone really. :fing02:

Your biggest problem is and will be reduced ground clearance, I would remove the center stand if you don't already do that, to prevent a potential of loosing grip when you drag it.

I would think the best, easiest and cheapest thing you could do would be to shim the rear shock 5-10mm to give you some more clearance and help with turn-in. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
You could borrow Randy Mamola's 2-up GP machine.

............................... :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, that went great! +1.gif

It turns out that the rear preload was already only one click out from max, so I just left it there, and I bumped up the rebound to 1/2 turn out from hard, since the rear seemed to sometimes wallow in corners. After the first (slow and easy) session, I asked the instructor to follow us around and check our ground clearance (didn't take the centerstand off). We were keeping a pretty good pace and he said that we had tons of room, nothing to worry about. Score. :fing02:

We just kept it nice and smooth throughout the day, picking up speed each session, to the point where I was dragging knee around the double-apex left before the front straight. The bike was solid and steady and never gave me any problems, and Vic was a great passenger and really got into it (the only time I even really felt her was under hard braking). All in all, a great experience, and both of us are looking forward to getting to do it again.

• Member Contributer

Pretty cool man! I'd love to take my wife out to a track day. Does Vic have leathers as well, or what did the track require for passenger apparel? Have you removed the curb feelers already or did you ever touch those down? Glad you both had a good time!!

• Member Contributer
Pretty cool man! I'd love to take my wife out to a track day. Does Vic have leathers as well, or what did the track require for passenger apparel? Have you removed the curb feelers already or did you ever touch those down? Glad you both had a good time!!

She was wearing full leathers, gloves, and (not motorcycle specific) work boots. The leathers I got on closeout from ironpony, I think the jacket and pants were around $40 apiece (they were not a set), and a seamstress was able to put in a full-circumference zipper for another $40.

The curb feelers came off halfway through my first trackday. Those things get annoying fast! +1.gif

If your wife enjoys sport-riding two-up with you and is a pretty competent passenger, I'd definitely reccomend trying to do this. Being on the track just gives you so much more confidence in what you can do--by the end of the first session, we were cornering faster then we ever had on the street. You know that kind of giddy, silly-grin feeling you have when you come off the track after a full session where everything is just clicking? Now imagine watching her pull off her helmet and seeing that same huge, silly grin. It rocks. :fing02:

Congrats, sounds like a blast!

I actually just missed a chance to do some two up lapping Sunday at my last track day. Heard it over the PA during the day that they were allowing 2-up in that last novice session of the day, but I never knew this and my g/f didn't have any of her gear. We were both bummed we didn't know. sad.gif

I actually just missed a chance to do some two up lapping Sunday at my last track day. Heard it over the PA during the day that they were allowing 2-up in that last novice session of the day, but I never knew this and my g/f didn't have any of her gear. We were both bummed we didn't know. sad.gif

G/F??? Does she know this?? :fing02:

Was this a school or just a Two-Up track day? I know Reg Pridmore was doing one or two Two-Up Schools a year with his program but the location was always Willow Springs.

What other types of bikes were out there doing the Two-Up thing? I would love to talk the wifey into doing one of these on the ST1300. I've got the VFR set up as a solo machine so it wouldn't be possible with it. Wifey has a full Bates zip together suit, Bates boots, and a Shoei helmet. She's got the gear, does she have the guts?

• Member Contributer
Was this a school or just a Two-Up track day? I know Reg Pridmore was doing one or two Two-Up Schools a year with his program but the location was always Willow Springs.

What other types of bikes were out there doing the Two-Up thing? I would love to talk the wifey into doing one of these on the ST1300. I've got the VFR set up as a solo machine so it wouldn't be possible with it. Wifey has a full Bates zip together suit, Bates boots, and a Shoei helmet. She's got the gear, does she have the guts?

This was just a normal trackday with some class time in between sessions. Most of the bikes out there were supersports (and a few raced-out SV's), and we were the only ones doing two-up. It was not a dedicated two-up day, or a real track school like Pridmore or Code. I actually talked to Reg Pridmore a few months ago when I was trying to convince some trackday organizations around here to let us ride two-up; I had hoped that him endorsing the idea that two-up track riding can be done safely would help. It didn't, and I still got blown off by all the local organizations. He said that he actually had to cancel his two-up specific school because of cancellations... classes would fill up with registrations, and then a few days before the event a large percent of them would call and cancel. He said his guess was last-minute nerves on the part of the passengers.

If you can find an organization in your area that does have dedicated two-up days, or two-up sessions mixed into a normal day, great... if not, just call around and try to sell the idea. I didn't have much luck at first, but maybe you'll fare better. A competent rider with track experience should have no problem maintaining a level-1 pace, even on an ST1300 with a passenger.

This was just a normal trackday with some class time in between sessions. Most of the bikes out there were supersports (and a few raced-out SV's), and we were the only ones doing two-up. It was not a dedicated two-up day, or a real track school like Pridmore or Code. I actually talked to Reg Pridmore a few months ago when I was trying to convince some trackday organizations around here to let us ride two-up; I had hoped that him endorsing the idea that two-up track riding can be done safely would help. It didn't, and I still got blown off by all the local organizations. He said that he actually had to cancel his two-up specific school because of cancellations... classes would fill up with registrations, and then a few days before the event a large percent of them would call and cancel. He said his guess was last-minute nerves on the part of the passengers.

If you can find an organization in your area that does have dedicated two-up days, or two-up sessions mixed into a normal day, great... if not, just call around and try to sell the idea. I didn't have much luck at first, but maybe you'll fare better. A competent rider with track experience should have no problem maintaining a level-1 pace, even on an ST1300 with a passenger.

Thanks for the input/insight about Pridmore cancelling his 2 up school. I had done one of his schools at Road Atlanta years ago and liked it OK. I did a Keith Code school at Jennings and I thought it was much better. Those two have a completely different style of riding and teaching. I actually had one of Pridmore's instructors pull me of the track and his first response was "You've been to a Keith Code school haven't you? We don't do that late fast turn in stuff here".

I told him no, that's the way I've always ridden and raced but I was planning on doing a Code school later that year (which I did).

Keith is one of the most unique individuals I have ever met in my life. His forte is not just teaching you how to go fast on a bike, but teaching itself. He is a great communicator and really makes you think. I would have given anything if he had taught calculus when I was in college. Might have been a little easier. He teaches by asking you questions that make you think and you come up with the answer itself. He just keeps asking questions until he gets you to get your own brain working. Then he gently guides you in the finer points. Great guy!

I could never do that as my wife is 6 feet tall and about 140, but you two looked good. At first I thought I was watching FROM your bike because you two look like on person.

good stuff.

and i would like to buy Vic a beer!

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

A few shots from this past weekend at ECR. Already signed up for MSR-Cresson on 7/18, too! :laugh:

6454_124609559895_779869895_3033656_4889752_n.jpg

6454_124609564895_779869895_3033657_4554930_n.jpg

6454_124609574895_779869895_3033658_3634947_n.jpg

6454_124609579895_779869895_3033659_6293187_n.jpg

6454_124609584895_779869895_3033660_7041062_n.jpg

Well, that went great! :cool:

It turns out that the rear preload was already only one click out from max, so I just left it there, and I bumped up the rebound to 1/2 turn out from hard, since the rear seemed to sometimes wallow in corners. After the first (slow and easy) session, I asked the instructor to follow us around and check our ground clearance (didn't take the centerstand off). We were keeping a pretty good pace and he said that we had tons of room, nothing to worry about. Score. :fing02:

We just kept it nice and smooth throughout the day, picking up speed each session, to the point where I was dragging knee around the double-apex left before the front straight. The bike was solid and steady and never gave me any problems, and Vic was a great passenger and really got into it (the only time I even really felt her was under hard braking). All in all, a great experience, and both of us are looking forward to getting to do it again.

Sckego:

Man, y'all looked great. She's hanging off more than you are. :unsure:

Did you have the problem of the front of her helmet banging into the back of yours under hard braking? My wife and I still have that problem.

Now teach her to give people y'all pass the finger while you're doing all of the piloting thing and you've got a great team.

BTW, Vic has more guts than me by about 1000%. I'll ride a bike fast all day long but there is no way I would ever ride on the back of one. I don't even like to ride in a car if I'm not driving. Just one of my phobias/anxieties.

Pete

I'll ride a bike fast all day long but there is no way I would ever ride on the back of one. I don't even like to ride in a car if I'm not driving. Just one of my phobias/anxieties.

It had been years since I've been on the back of a motorcycle. I have to say I was pretty anxious when I did this one. BTW, this was on a GSXR1000 w/ stock suspension and Dunlop Qualifiers @ the Jason Pridmore school (and I'm more than 2x your girlfriends size :unsure: )...

VFRD Video -> Full ViewDownloadUpload

Archived