Which Left T/s Wire To Hook Up Heated Grips? And How To Remove Connector?

Guest jambie

I want to wire the power to my Symtec heated grips to the left front running light, and I'm evidently very bad at reading a schematic. I looked at the online '02 shop manual (thanks H. Slammer!) and saw three wires going to the left front T/S, but my '06 only has two wires going to it - Green and orange/White. I assume one is for the running light and the other is for the T/S :biggrin: Which is which?

Also, how in the he!! do you remove the connector to change the T/S bulb? I can just barely get my fingers on it through the little access panel. Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Tom

• Member Contributer
I want to wire the power to my Symtec heated grips to the left front running light, and I'm evidently very bad at reading a schematic. I looked at the online '02 shop manual (thanks H. Slammer!) and saw three wires going to the left front T/S, but my '06 only has two wires going to it - Green and orange/White. I assume one is for the running light and the other is for the T/S :biggrin: Which is which?

Also, how in the he!! do you remove the connector to change the T/S bulb? I can just barely get my fingers on it through the little access panel. Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Tom

I am not sure if this is a good idea. Really with the amp draw on hot grips..I think these should be on their own fusible circuit and connected directly to the battery IMO...lets see what the others think, mine go straight to battery terminals, have their own circuit. Doug

you dont want ot use the t/s wires for a 06 or newer.. I would also think this would be too much draw on the circuit....

But to find out which wire is hot and which isnt just use a volt meter.. Its best to be sure..

Most are using the running lights off the rear to trigger a relay that is powered.fused from the battery...

Contact Tightwad as he can sell you a fuse block already prewired.. Just hook, mount , n go..

Best to run a dedicated circiut that is turned on with the ignition with a relay. It will isolate the load form other systems in the bike and prevent you fron ever leaving it on and running down your battery after you have tuned off your bike. You can use your front running light curcuit to trigger on your relay.

Beck

95 VFR

Best to run a dedicated circiut that is turned on with the ignition with a relay. It will isolate the load form other systems in the bike and prevent you fron ever leaving it on and running down your battery after you have tuned off your bike. You can use your front running light curcuit to trigger on your relay.

Beck

95 VFR

Where does one find such a relay? If I use the running light power to trigger the relay, and I already have a fused power line running from the battery to my tank bag powerlet, could I tap into that for the grip main power?

Beck

95 VFR

Where does one find such a relay? If I use the running light power to trigger the relay, and I already have a fused power line running from the battery to my tank bag powerlet, could I tap into that for the grip main power?

You can get the newer smaller sized automotive relays from your neighborhood auto parts store (Kragen...etc). Look at their accesory lighting (fog lights...etc) section and you should find it there. "Pilot" makes a small relay that will be easy to install in your bike's tight underfaring or underseat spaces. Yes you can use your Powerlet's circuit for main power on the grips, but you do have to remember not to overload that circuit with too many other accessories when you are using your grips. I would suggest a whole separate/dedicated fused circuit for your grips just to be safe. That's how I wired mine in on my bike and I have no problems at all.

Good luck on your install, It'll be getting cold pretty soon! smile.gif

Beck

95 VFR

Since I'm electrically retarded, would the left side diagram be representative of how I would wire it? I hijacked this description from another site...

The connections on the two types of relays look like this:

SPST SPDT

===================== =====================

(87) (87)

+---------+ +---------+

| --- | | --- |

| | | |

(86) | | | | (85) (86) | | --- | | (87a - center)

| | | | (85 - right)

| | | | | |

+---------+ +---------+

(30) (30)

Pins 85 and 86 connect to the coil which causes the relay to switch.

On both relays, pins 30 and 87 are normally disconnected. When the

relay is activated (switched) pin 30 and 87 are then in contact. The

difference with the SPDT relay is that in the "normal" state, pins 30

and 87a are in contact.

To hook up a relay (either kind) for a remote turn on, make the

following connections:

*Pin 30*

Powerlet 12V power from battery

*Pin 87*

Grips power lead to grip on/off switch

*Pin 86*

Power from license plate light

*Pin 85*

Ground

• Member Contributer

Cheers,

Tom

+1 on the relay.

And, I always end up taking my front cowl off to mess with my turn signal bulbs. No way I could get my hands through those little access panels. Sometimes I just take off the inner cowl and reach up from under.

I said this in my PM, but I will repeat here for others who need to know....

Definantly use a relay. On your 2006 model the turn signal wire won't work because it is also the blinker, and having it modulate even the relay on left turns wouldn't be a good idea. Best to use a dedicate circuit....trigger wire from the license plate to terminal 86 as you posted, ground to frame from 85, 87 goes to switch for grips (you don't want them on all the time, or even at one temp) and the 30 goes to the battery directly (putting a fuse here isn't a bad idea either).

Or buy a fuse panel, and make all the same connections but have more accessory options as well.

I put on simtec grip heaters last weekend. My test light bulb was burnt out so I got lazy and just put tit to the battery.

Then Hurricane Hanna came past. I guess all the rain jumped the switch and told the grip heaters that they were on and I had a dead battery.

The relay is going in this weekend.

aa-sept-7-08021.jpg

aa-sept-7-08022.jpg

I put on simtec grip heaters last weekend. My test light bulb was burnt out so I got lazy and just put tit to the battery.

Then Hurricane Hanna came past. I guess all the rain jumped the switch and told the grip heaters that they were on and I had a dead battery.

The relay is going in this weekend.

I liked my switch better here....I didn't buy their switch so I used my own:

Heated_Grip_Install_005.sized.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. I got a relay at Radio Shack today and wired the grips up using the license plate lamp as the relay trigger, and a fused line direct from the battery for the main power source. So far, all is working well... +1.gif

Cheers,

Tom.

Archived