Best Year Of R1 Forks For 1998 Vfr?

magellan

Question

• Member Contributer

I can't remember who it was here that used R1 forks instead of RC51s for their frankenviffer, but they made a very convincing argument about the superiority of the R1 forks when it comes to rebound damping response time or some such.

This winter I plan to have my rear shock replaced/rebuilt and convert to USD front forks with cassandtim's triples (albeit with a gullwing upper and no provision for handlebar risers, since I'll want clip-ons above the triple), but I'd like to know which R1 forks are ideal and carry radial brakes with the best rep for power and feel.

Let the eBay/craigslist hunt begin!

13 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have some newb questions since I'm contemplating this exact modification to my 1999. How does the geometry compare between 5th and 6th gens (rake, trail, etc.)? In other words, are they comparable enough to get the same triples and forks to play nicely together? I am eyeballing a set of 2006 R1 forks and am trying to get a feel for if they'll work and what parts are required.

Thanks guys!

Yes, you will get similar benefits to those zRoYz describes, keeping in mind that he had the internals modified by a suspension wizz - but the R1 forks are very good straight off the donor bike.

The main difference between 5th and 6th Gen is the change from 41mm forks to 43mm forks (which BTW definitely improves the handling), everything else is much the same.

Try to do it like zRoYz did it, he did it right :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Yes, you will get similar benefits to those zRoYz describes, keeping in mind that he had the internals modified by a suspension wizz - but the R1 forks are very good straight off the donor bike.

The main difference between 5th and 6th Gen is the change from 41mm forks to 43mm forks (which BTW definitely improves the handling), everything else is much the same.

Try to do it like zRoYz did it, he did it right :biggrin:

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the diameter change. I'm sure you're right about the improvement, that is rather substantial. I might bite the bullet for $250.

Kinda off topic, but not really: does anyone have a good source for VFR history (models, nomenclature, tech details, etc.). I've been reading stuff here and there since I bought this bike back in August 08 and I'm a bit lost.

• Member Contributer
Try V-Source, it's owned by VFRD member JZH and has a lot of interesting stuff.

Thanks for the vote, but my site is mainly 3rd-gen focused. (And has a bit of a problem with the background colour on many of the pages since I messed around with the site's default CSS...oops!)

Ciao,

Guest vfrrider

I guess your talking about me.

I used RC51 triples and 2000 R1 forks (with new Hyperpro springs) for my 93 VFR.

Good points, using RC51 upper triple mounted to the forks right at the top yielded almost the exact same length forks to the wheels. Using R1 4 piston calipers allowed me to keep the stock front wheel and rotors.

Bad points. The R1 axle is like 22mm OD, the VFR front bearing are like 20mm ID. I got my axle turned down a little and polished. Tok Tokkie went all the way and had custom SS axles made with a collar for the offside mount to the fork, I didn't bother. And you'll have to make your own spaceers to assure perfect line-up with the rotors.

Overall, once dailed in (preload, damping, etc) I love my new front end.

BTW, Works Shocks has some shocks for the 3rd gen on sale now on Ebay. Or you can go Penske, Hagon, Elba on the rear.

Pics in my gallery.

Larry

VFRrider

BTW, gold forks look really cool with gold calipers and a white bike.

Archived