My Ride To Work This Morning

I nailed Bambi's momma on the way to work this morning. Two of the them jumped a fence and into the road. The first one made it across. I was on the brakes as soon as I saw them but I still nailed the second one pretty much dead on. I figure it probably weighs about 100lbs. I knocked it completely off the road. It flailed around for a minute or two then died.

The back end of my bike was kicked out to the left a little when I hit it and it swung all the way around and over on to the left side after impact at around 25-30mph. I went flying, remember my head and back of my shoulder hitting the ground and then tumbling/rolling for a bit. My helmet really didn't take much of hit, just scraped away some more of the surface coat just behind the back part of the faceshield. A few scuffs on my jacket, a small hole on the right knee of my jeans and some very minor abrasions under all these points of contact.

The VFR is in pretty rough shape, but I was still able to ride it the rest of the way to work. All the light are smashed, but one headlight bulb still works. Most of the clutch lever and the entire left peg broke off.

All this happened while some guy on a bicycle was coming the other direction. He just stopped and stood there for a minute in shock or awe before asking if I was alright. I laugh when I think about what he must be telling people what he saw this morning. Hell, he even nearly him them.

I think I have all the parts I need except for a mirror since I have newer version VFR mirrors. Only thing is all the plastic parts I have are red. I was planning on getting all new plastic and painting it anyways because this stuff was looking pretty bad already. Now I'm even more justified. Last night I decided to put on my quiet Micron carbon fiber muffler. The last time I had a quiet muffler was when I had my last close encounter with a deer. I'm going stick to be loud so they scatter before I get to them.

1_vfr-deer1.JPG

1_vfr-deer2.JPG

1_vfr-deer3.JPG

1_vfr-deer4.JPG

DUDE!! THAT SUCKS!!!

I had a close encounter with a deer one time many years ago. A buck came out of a corn feild along the side of the road at full tilt. Somehow the deer actually avoided me and a truck coming the other way by side stepping us. How we both missed it I will never know!

glad to hear you are okay. I wish all deer could just JUMP over our heads and safely make it to the other side...

Speaking of which...

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

The brown stuff is just dried dirt. The VFR slid off the road into some muddy grass. But at work I did find a single deer hair stuck to the inside of my faceshield.

The brown stuff is just dried dirt. The VFR slid off the road into some muddy grass. But at work I did find a single deer hair stuck to the inside of my faceshield.

ooooofff.

there is a deer X-ing sign down the street from my house. I have seen the blighters in my front yard. I live in fear. But at least its VFRD 1, Deer 0, right?

• Member Contributer

Glad you are okay. I'm sure you'll get it rebuilt... It looks like you have quite a parts warehouse in your garage.

• Member Contributer

Ouch.

You rode with no left peg and a mostly broken clutch lever...after a crash...to work.....

You deserve a raise my friend. :beer:

On a side note, you have a serious supply of tires there...

:3: :biggrin:

Archived