Va 211 In Blue Ridge Mountains

Guest cigarbuf

Guest cigarbuf

You know a road is good when it starts off with this........

crasharea.jpg

About an hour and fifteen west of D.C., Virginia State Highway 211 traverses across the Blue Ridge mountains and Skyline Drive which is the northern most extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's one of the finest sections of road within a short distance from my home.

Attached is a 3 minute video taken with my newly mounted bullet camera attached to my Archos recorder. It's highly compressed so you'll see a few artifacts as it plays. I'm still working on the audio gain which still gets a bit washed out at higher speeds. My pace is somewhat relaxed with low top speeds due to the presence of road traffic and the high possibility of speed enforcement in the area. At about 25 seconds into the video, the decreasing radius right hander with a slight change to off camber can be tricky and has caused a number of cyclist to go down in the past.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Bullet Cam

bulletcam.jpg

Bike Pic (I just might keep the exhaust)

rightside.jpg

Is that the strech betwee Cooter's general store and the entrance to skyline drive?

If it is we used to call it 29/211 and I have been on it many times. The last time was on a FJ1200, and I was manhandling that beast through and forcing it to turn.

This leads me to two questions:

Why have I not been back there?

And why are we not riding there together?

I'll be there in a months time.

Coming over for the MotoGP, then 10days touring around VA on a BMW1200GS hired from Richmond. I can hardly wait.

Nice video. I've wanted to make it up there this year, but after they dropped the speed limit I don't think I could afford it. Its a shame they changed it, that was the only road around here that had reliable grip and with very little gravel.

I'll do a full write-up on the Archos camera system when I get a chance (leaving on vacation in 1 hour). I have the 30gb model which is good for 25 hours of continuous recording once the power is hard-wired onto the bike.

It is :biggrin: I've had about everything dragging on that road when I ride my hawk. Crossing lanes like that is a little sketchy with the gravel that ends up in the middle of the lanes in some places.

Archived