California To Colorado

• Member Contributer

05Colorado.jpg

Pikes Peak, CO

I have to travel to Colorado occasionally for work, so this time I decided to ride. Unfortunately I only had two days to get to Colorado so I stuck to the interstates the entire way here. I left my house in Yuba City, California at 5:45 AM on Saturday, rode through California, Nevada, and into Utah, where I spent the night at a friend's house in Salt Lake City. I got to SLC at just before 6:00 PM. Sunday morning I left at 7:00 AM, and rode up to Wyoming, and then down into Colorado, where I got dumped on in the Longmont area. I arrived in Woodland Park at around 5:00 PM.

Leaving The House:

01Departure.jpg

The Endless Expanse of Nevada:

02Nevada.jpg

The Great Salt Lake:

03SaltLake.jpg

Somewhere in Wyoming:

04Wyoming.jpg

I'll have to replace my rear tire before I head home. I guess Pilot Powers aren't good touring tires :warranty:

06Tire.jpg

The trip was fairly uneventful other than a rogue wind gust that caught me off guard in Nevada. It came on with no warning whatsoever. Must have been 50MPH, and only lasted 2-3 seconds. It did not come on gradually. It blew me into the other lane before I had a chance to react with some aggressive countersteering. I sure am glad I was in the right lane, and nobody was over in the left lane. Could have been ugly.

I plan on riding through the Rockies on the way back to make it a little more interesting.

Full Size

Not that you asked, but maybe try the Pirelli Strada tire for the trip home. I have one on mine and it handles the slab well and I've been real happy with it in the twisties with the dual compound action!

• Member Contributer
Apex sports in Colorado Springs has good tire prices and quick service for travelers, open on Tue if you need a new tire. OMG that route must have been slab city, no way would I have done that.

Ok, thanks. I stopped by there this afternoon, but of course they weren't open.

Yeah, that route was pretty mind-numbing.

• Forum CEO
Apex sports in Colorado Springs has good tire prices and quick service for travelers, open on Tue if you need a new tire. OMG that route must have been slab city, no way would I have done that.

Ok, thanks. I stopped by there this afternoon, but of course they weren't open.

Yeah, that route was pretty mind-numbing.

Full Size

a fairly direct route with some nice side tours that will give you some of the best roads along the way home, monarch pass, black canyon, grand mesa, arches national park, hwy 50 across nevada.

• Member Contributer

No throttle lock, but I was sure wishing I had one. My fingers, wrist, and upper back on the right side were killing me.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have any time this week to do any riding other than between Woodland Park and Colorado Springs, which has a short section that is fairly fun other than the low speed limit, and it's patrolled fairly heavily.

Highway 50 looks like a much better way to go. I rode from Phoenix to Colorado Springs last summer and took the million-dollar highway. It would be a shame to miss out on all the great roads Colorado has to offer.

I believe that highway 50 accross NV is called "the loneliest highway" or somthing to that effect. Anyhow, I've heard that there is a ride that you can register for accross it and as long as you check in at the different designated stops they will send you a patch or certificate of some kind...

I believe that highway 50 accross NV is called "the loneliest highway" or somthing to that effect. Anyhow, I've heard that there is a ride that you can register for accross it and as long as you check in at the different designated stops they will send you a patch or certificate of some kind...

another fun Nevada highway event... http://www.sscc.us/ not for the squemish of heart...

Not to hijack the thread, regarding a throttle lock, I would think you could find one out in CO, just a helpful hint, but there's alot of topics and posts regarding fitment in VFR INFO. Personally I run with the NEP YAMAHA CC-3 on my 6th gen, couldn't pay me to ride without it...

• Member Contributer
Pretty sure I could not do this even on my Wing.

I will admit the discomfort was fairly intense at times...

• Member Contributer

I ordered a rear Pilot Road 2 from www.swmototires.com. Should arrive tomorrow, according to FedEx tracking. I went ahead and pulled the tire off in preparation. Hopefully the new tire will arrive tomorrow in time for me to install it and take it somewhere to balance it. How do you guys do a static balancing job on VFR rear wheels? The bearings stay on the bike, so I guess it must require some sort of stand with built-in bearings?

I ordered a Throttlemeister too. That should be here tomorrow as well.

07RearTireRemoval.jpg

• Member Contributer

Made it back home this afternoon. Here's the route I took. I wanted to stop in Salt Lake City again. Independence Pass was pretty fun, other than all the road construction.

Full Size

• Member Contributer

Well for some reason the route isn't showing up quite right on that embedded map, but you get the idea.

Woodland Park

Buena Vista

Aspen

Glenwood Springs

Meeker

Dinosaur

SLC

Archived