Will A 99 Vfr800 Swingarm Fit On A 2003 Vtec Vfr800?

Guest motorcyclemaniac

Question

Guest motorcyclemaniac

my swingarm is pretty badly bent on my 2003 vfr800 and i found a 1999 vfr800 swingarm pretty cheap. will they interchange pretty easily. by the way. i hear that the swingarm is mounted to the engine on the newer vtec models. is that true? and if so. is there anything else i should look for as far as damage to the bike. thanks for any info you may have.........

13 answers to this question

There's a chance it will fit, but it's 3/4" shorter than the Vtec. Yes all Vtec and maybe even 5th gen swing arms bolt to the motor.

I see swingarms on ebay all the time for a few hundred bucks.

Do it right. I take it your bike was crashed bad? Mine was bent on my 00 VFR, rode it that way for 12,000 miles. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Just my .02.......can't imagine one good reason to put a shorter arm on even if they fit. If given the option, the longer arm on the 99 would be better than the shorter arm on the 02........but..........."correct length" would be better........ :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD.

Your bent swing arm does not exist without pictures smile.gif

Sorry for your (choose one):

Get off

someone backed over the bike

No apologies, I bought a salvage bike!

Welcome to VFRD.

Your bent swing arm does not exist without pictures smile.gif

Sorry for your (choose one):

Get off

someone backed over the bike

No apologies, I bought a salvage bike!

i would take pictures but, the bike is 100 miles away from me right now.

• Member Contributer

Bummer.

Try fleabay and craigslist for one. The 3/4" will probably muck around with the geometry.

Not to be nosy (but I am...) How did the swing arm get deformed?

Again, welcome to VFRD, lots of info here, and many knowledgeable people.

Bummer.

Try fleabay and craigslist for one. The 3/4" will probably muck around with the geometry.

Not to be nosy (but I am...) How did the swing arm get deformed?

Again, welcome to VFRD, lots of info here, and many knowledgeable people.

im actually buying the bike pretty cheap as is. it was hit on the side by something (of which i dont know exactly what that is) but, it took out the rear wheel and pushed the swingarm a good 5 inches out. and i do mean AT LEAST 5 inches or more. thats why im hoping there is no motor damage as i have heard the swingarm is connected to the motor. i have a 07 ninja 650 and a 06 fjr1300. so as you can tell. i do like to be in a half way good riding position but, at the same time with kind of a sporting edge. i had a 97 vfr750 and a 2003 vfr800 and always regreted getting rid of them.

by the way. thanks all 4 your responses and putting out the welcome mat for me.

• Member Contributer

NO! And even if you could graft it, DON'T. The 6 then is thicker, to compensate for the the heavier bike. Side to side, it won't work either.

Dang, that much!, I'd check the whole frame and the engine to see if anything else was tweaked or cracked! BEWARE!. It takes quite a bit of force to deforn that SSS!

Beck

95 VFR

thanks for all of your replies. i will definately check to see if the frame and engine are any good before i buy. by the way. i will not MODIFY. im just going to look for the correct swingarm. thanks again everyone.

it took out the rear wheel and pushed the swingarm a good 5 inches out. and i do mean AT LEAST 5 inches or more.

Something has to be broken, I doubt any cast piece will move halt that amount w/o breaking IMO. Must have broken off mounting tabs either on the motor or mount. Just look it over good. :huh:

Good luck! :fing02:

Archived