How The Heck Can I...

Guest SJMike

Question

Guest SJMike

put my 02' VTEC on a diet. I'd like to see what items can be removed to save weight.

I considered removing the center stand, and may yet - but it's so handy.

Cheers,

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
put my 02' VTEC on a diet. I'd like to see what items can be removed to save weight.

Cheers,

Hey SJMike,

I know nothing about mods, :goofy: but here's what i know: you can remove the center stand, change the pipes for lighter ones (TBros, LV, etc.), remove the passenger's hand grips and foot pegs. The other options will be costly I think, unless you lose some weight yourself (by far the cheapest!). :warranty: Good luck!

P.P-M

• Member Contributer

The trouble with lightening the VFR, is it's such a handy package the way it's delivered. Centerstand, passenger grab handles, nice leg extension on the passenger pegs, the list goes on............. :fing02: So many other "single purpose lighter sport bikes" out there, it's almost a shame to "fiddle" with the "King of Do All" in the sport bike world. Besides, it's only gonna' get "SO" light................ :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

The two easiest are replace entire exhaust and wheels with ultra light aftermarket items. I didn't say it would be cheap.

• Member Contributer

Don't forget swapping out the rear sprocket. I don't know if they make Ti sprockets, but that would be damn light for sure, relative of course to the weight of the OE. what about filling your tires with helium? That won't reduce the inertial mass, but it will make it lighter!! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
The trouble with lightening the VFR, is it's such a handy package the way it's delivered. Centerstand, passenger grab handles, nice leg extension on the passenger pegs, the list goes on............. :fing02: So many other "single purpose lighter sport bikes" out there, it's almost a shame to "fiddle" with the "King of Do All" in the sport bike world. Besides, it's only gonna' get "SO" light................ :rolleyes:

Skuuter is right on this one. The first few pounds are easy to shed, and cheap, but then they'll get a lot more expensive as you go. And there's only so much weight that you can shave off this bike. If you are trying to get closer the feel of a real sport bike, you will never be satisfied with a VFR; get a real light bike and keep this one as an all-around bike. I believe you can find some for a couple of grand, maybe less. But if you just want to take off a healthy amount of fat, i believe it can be done. To a point.

P.P-M

Ride naked.

Drill holes in your helmet.

Drill holes in everything!

Fit skinnier wheels.

Don't put more than a gallon of gas in the tank.

Reduce the amount of oil in the sump.

Take the fairing, instruments and lights off.

Cut the back half of the seat off.

• Member Contributer

The other options will be costly I think, unless you lose some weight yourself (by far the cheapest!)

Too few people seriously consider this. If you are carrying an extra 10, 20 or 90 lbs on your body losing it will only make your riding experience (and everything else) better. In addition it would be better to lose weight here than any other place on the bike, the center of gravity would be lower and your ability to move around the bike would be greater.

• Member Contributer
Has anyone ever thought of changing out the heavy steel rear subframe for an aluminum one on the Vtecs??

A good welder should be able to fabricate a replacement.

Beck

95 VFR

Yes, I did. Think of it, that is, when I added a vtec subframe to my 4gen. That's one heavy biotch and since I don't carry passengers (pegs are jettisoned) or hard bags I think it's an easily doable mod. I've got my RCBVFR 70 lbs lighter than a VTEC right now.

• Member Contributer

The other options will be costly I think, unless you lose some weight yourself (by far the cheapest!)

Too few people seriously consider this. If you are carrying an extra 10, 20 or 90 lbs on your body losing it will only make your riding experience (and everything else) better. In addition it would be better to lose weight here than any other place on the bike, the center of gravity would be lower and your ability to move around the bike would be greater.

Not to mention the savings in food!!!! :rolleyes:

Reminds me of my race bicycling days in college where the big thing was "pantographing" (drilling holes and patterns) as much of your bike's components to come up with the lightest bicycle possible. It was kinda fun to do but can get expensive. My brother and I got our race bikes down to 17-18 pounds by just finding the lightest compnents we can afford with our limited college budgets. Quite a feat to do on mid level race Peugeots and Gitane bikes that we had......Unfortunately, it's more challenging to do the same to VFRs

Beck

95 VFR

LOL...That's part of the problem.

When I bought my 02' VFR I was at an all-time high of 205lbs (or 14.6 stone) and have since lost a bunch of unnecessary personal baggage.

Now I'm 176lb and I'm sort of more agile but when riding it seems I have to push the bike around a little more as I don't have as much weight to toss around.

I'd hate to give up all the positive aspects of the VFR because I love my bike. Think I'll try all the easy stuff 1st.

Or maybe I should just go get that Agusta F4 I was looking at :rolleyes:

Cheers,

• Member Contributer
Now I'm 176lb and I'm sort of more agile but when riding it seems I have to push the bike around a little more as I don't have as much weight to toss around.

I'd hate to give up all the positive aspects of the VFR because I love my bike. Think I'll try all the easy stuff 1st.

Oh if that's all you're after, why didn't you say so! :rolleyes:

Instant quicker handling for cheap: power steering.

gallery_611_2287_97522.jpg

SuperBike Bars Gold renthals with TAG off-road mounts.

Interesting. :fing02:

I guess you have to change brake and clutch lines, and throttle cables, then cut the fairing to make it work? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Hey SJMike,

I know nothing about mods, :fing02: but here's what i know: you can remove the center stand, change the pipes for lighter ones (TBros, LV, etc.), remove the passenger's hand grips and foot pegs. The other options will be costly I think, unless you lose some weight yourself (by far the cheapest!). :rolleyes: Good luck!

P.P-M

I agree with losing weight yourself, if possible. When I bought my vfr last august, I was at my all time high of 250 lbs. Then this winter I finally got serious about losing some weight......and got down to 180-185 by the time I rolled the bike out in late march. I could of sworn it was a totally differnet bike. I couldn't belive the differnece it made. My confidence on the bike after losing the weight was way higher. Just imagine what it would take to cut 70 lbs off of the bike itself........a lot more $$$$ and effort than losing the weight myself I'm sure.

• Member Contributer

Interesting. :fing02:

I guess you have to change brake and clutch lines, and throttle cables, then cut the fairing to make it work? :rolleyes:

Nope, nope, nope and nope. Just get a little creative with routing and adjusting.

Archived