Hub Centric Location & Tail Riser 4th Gen Questions

SLO97VFR

My 4gen has seem to sit low and steering was alot heavier, than the 600 Katana I sold for it, since I got it used. I had a low side a few weeks back and got to

tearing it down. I was thinking of going ahead with making an under tail exhaust with an 05 CBR setup or like Magellan?, use a 5 gen single muffler. I also just

put on a CF rear hugger. Putting the muffler up in its place I only have about 3" of clearance between the hugger and muffler, and this is with it on the center

stand, not enough. This is also with the under tray removed to get the muffle as high up as possible. I was think of just buying the tail riser brackets from THurn

and see how that would work. I recently was reading and older post, now lost, about the SS swingarm and talk about where the eccentric should be and how it

effects the ride height. I looked at mine and the eccentric seems to be about 1:00 position which would put the axle at its highest point pretty much.

So reguardless if I do the muffler install I want to make sure the settings are correct. I know the bike has been rebuilt before so maybe something got

changed (owner was shorter?)?. I also counted the links in the chain and its at 112. SO I got two questions finally smile.gif ...

1. Where should the eccentric be? axle at 6:00 for maximum height or near 12:00 for the lowest point.

2. Has anyone added a tail riser kit from Thurn to a 4 GEN and what are any negatives in doing so?

The muffler and link install will be on another thread if I go thru with it. I just want to get the ride height and eccentric correct first. And IF it does need to be

moved to the 6:00 position is it as simple as taking the chain off and rotating it? Thanks for any and all replies...Brian

Download a service manual fro mthe board here and check it out, I'm assuming all the gens locate the hub in the same position.

I think the axle is supposed to be at 9:00 or 6:00, because when I adjust my chain from the rear of the bike, I have to turn the hub up & forward.

The axle is on the same side as the brake calliper, at the top on <=97, bottom 98=>

You can modify the caliper mount so you can put the axle in the 6:00 position. It uses a countersunk bolt. I think there is a howto somewhre on VFRD

The axle is on the same side as the brake calliper, at the top on <=97, bottom 98=>

You can modify the caliper mount so you can put the axle in the 6:00 position. It uses a countersunk bolt. I think there is a howto somewhre on VFRD

Good stuff! :biggrin:

I tried the service manual and they are useless, at least the one I have downloaded. I see how you are correct as if the hub is moved down it would no longer line up

with the caliper to rotor. Ill have to see if I can find the modification thread but the search function seems as about as usefull as a strainer in a sinking boat. Any 4th

gen owners care to give me a measurement of their bikes height? Maybe measure from the center axle up to lock while on side stand and center stand. And if you

have done the hub mod or risers, post on up. Thanks Guys for your help...

Check JZH's solution to flipping the eccentric: click

Perfect! Thanks for that link as it helps to se what I need to do. I guess Ill remove that bracket and see about getting it counter sunk and finding a new bolt. Cant hurt to try this and see what happens. If I get enough clearance Ill move on to the under tail exhaust. If only the darn brake light was not mounted so low...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I played around with the rear eccentric today to get more clearance for the undertail exhaust. I removed the caliper bolt and turned the eccentric counter clockwise to where it started to lower the axle and tighten the chain. I see 2 problems with this (just on side stand)

1. Chain now seems to sit and will ride on top guide plates -

2. if I have a bit too much play in the chain it will hit center stand ( slightly and could be adjusted with bigger stopper )

I am worried about it riding on the guide though. Looking down the chain, while on side stand, I can see it rise up on the guide a bit them fall back to the front sprocket. Maybe with me on it and adjusting the shock could help. I was thinking of maybe next size bigger rear sprocket but then I would need a smaller front sprocket and probably end up in the same boat.

Anyone with a 3/4 gen with a flip eccentric around any more?

• Member Contributer
Well I played around with the rear eccentric today to get more clearance for the undertail exhaust. I removed the caliper bolt and turned the eccentric counter clockwise to where it started to lower the axle and tighten the chain. I see 2 problems with this (just on side stand)

1. Chain now seems to sit and will ride on top guide plates -

2. if I have a bit too much play in the chain it will hit center stand ( slightly and could be adjusted with bigger stopper )

I am worried about it riding on the guide though. Looking down the chain, while on side stand, I can see it rise up on the guide a bit them fall back to the front sprocket. Maybe with me on it and adjusting the shock could help. I was thinking of maybe next size bigger rear sprocket but then I would need a smaller front sprocket and probably end up in the same boat.

Anyone with a 3/4 gen with a flip eccentric around any more?

I think I still exist, but that's as far as I can say for sure... :fing02:

I don't think the chain-on-the-slider is an issue. I've certainly not noticed excessive wear or anything. See photo below, taken soon after I'd done the mod. Although the VFR800 is a different design (i.e, swing arm mounted to the engine, not the frame), the NC30 (and probably RC30) have the axle in the same orientation as this mod puts it. It should clear!

gallery_362_402_83098.jpg

P6300013x.JPG

Unfortunately, as my center stand is not in the OEM position (it's bracket is spaced down for exhaust clearance, mine being a 3d-gen), I don't think my experience would help you.

Ciao,

Is your sag adjusted correctly? You could also add shims under the top shock mount bracket to raise the rear. My fourth gen has a fox shock with adjustable ride height, and I have it adjusted as far up as the linkage will allow. I have about a .050" gap from the bottom of the shock rodend to the dogbone. It steers quite nicely now, although I'm 6' and can just barely flat foot it with both feet.

Its still all loose so Ill flip it again and see if adjusting the shock height will help any. I haven't rode it yet and I may just flip it, set the sag and then ride it to see if it changes where the chain is riding. I can see a different rise where it starts to go up the guide then back down to the front gear. Ill post up next week when the rest of the parts get here. Thanks for the help guys!

JZH, do you have the stock tooth rear sprocket on yours? Thanks Brian

Archived