Best Bike Stand Option

didit

Question

• Member Contributer

Very soon now, I will be preping the VFR for the season. This will include a complete exhaust re / re, to the Motad SS catless headers

and Ti Remus full exhaust (yes I will take full install pics).

I really enjoy putting the bike up, off the side stand when in my garage.

What is the best source for and ease of use, type of bike stand for a 6th Gen? We are talking one man operation all the time.

Also, is it best to get a front stand too, at the same time?

Comments and telling me where to go is invited (yes, I did a search and looked for previous threads, but found nun).

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I use a Pitbull rear stand on my '93. As for the year gap, I don't see where there would be any differences in terms of ease of use or design.

I've been using mine for roughly 1 1/2 years, and it has held up great. One man operation you say? Piece of cake with a Pitbull. :fing02:

do you want to remove the center stand, or think you have too? reason i ask is i put 99 catless headers on and have no issue leaving the ctr stand on...just had to add a rubber stop so that it rested against the rubber instead of the pipes.

• Member Contributer

Pitbull are the best I have used, and worth the price IMHO.

Get the convertible front stand - it can be used as a normal front stand that supports under the fork legs, or as a stem stand.

The stem stand makes it easy to work on the forks and is more stable than the fork leg option, but it is a PITA to put it on the stem stand because of all the brake lines and crap in the way, so for every day use the bottom of fork stand is better.

• Member Contributer
do you want to remove the center stand, or think you have too?

I have seen many who attached a small rubber stopper to the stand itself. I am thinking more on the amount of times I never use it while out on the road.

Whether a day ride or for the weekend, I just leave in gear and side stand. So, it's at home only. Like the idea of a little cleaner appearance, of course just

a little more weight off.

Thanks for the direction on the Pitbull. I'll do the research and see if there is a Canadian source. Otherwise, I'll be looking for the best US supplier to ship

to the same location as the Motads, for pickup.

Anyone have pic's / close up of the spool location for the rear?

• Member Contributer

No spools for SSSA. You remove the plastic plug in the center of the left side of the hub. A pin from the stand fits into that hole.

• Member Contributer

Don't actually have the Motad yet. Just ordered today so hope to pick it up early next week.

Again, just like the idea of removing the stand. Was told about another stand from T-Rex. Checked out the site, but shows the VFR model for a Hawk?

Theirs takes a rod & bearings through the spindle?? Have to look into it more.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=6...3Fcategory%3D42

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm not 100% sure but I think they are the same stand (vfr & hawk). The only difference may be the pin size, some stands you order the pin seperatly some come w/ several sizes. I like having the centerstand, makes chain adjustments & lubing a 1 man job. It takes 2 to get it on that stand, unless you can balance the bike while putting the stand in place. Its probably possible for 1 person to do it but risky.

• Member Contributer

Hello:

Here is a very cool, quite different, as in "never-seen-one-of-THESE-before," front end stand. It fits into the steering head, and lifts-up the entire front end. It would be great for fork/front-end work, removing the wheel, etc.

No, I don't own one ... am thinking about it ... and wish I had had this little puppy when I began my latest round of modifications. It would have helped.

So, check it out:

http://www.moto911.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=414

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer

The T-Rex looks like a front lift stand instead of a rear lift. Makes it easier to put the bike on the stand while you are on the bike, but more difficult if you are off the bike. You also can't roll the bike around on the stand with a front lift.

I like the threaded rod through the axle. It is not necessary, but would be nice added security

• Member Contributer
Hello:

Here is a very cool, quite different, as in "never-seen-one-of-THESE-before," front end stand. It fits into the steering head, and lifts-up the entire front end. It would be great for fork/front-end work, removing the wheel, etc.

No, I don't own one ... am thinking about it ... and wish I had had this little puppy when I began my latest round of modifications. It would have helped.

So, check it out:

http://www.moto911.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=414

rctwentyfour

Yea, this is what I was describing as a "stem stand." Most manuf. make them and they are great for doing work on the forks and they are much more stable than a fork lift stand. The downside is it is a PITA to use because of all the brake lines, oil cooler, fairing, etc that is in the way.

• Member Contributer

Right on Didit! Get rid of that lousy extra weight! The triangle made by the 2 wheels and side stand is way more stable than the one with the center stand and the front wheel.

I got a stand for free (though Cdn tire has the front and rear stands for sale this week - I think - for less than $100 for both) and had my friend weld loops and put a pin in the middle - see picture below. Be careful removing the center stand, the bolt on the right side is left thread.

gallery_4229_2149_932099.jpg

I've got a Pitbull rear stand for the VFR and it's great. I have no trouble putting the bike on the rear stand at all (unless I have the saddlebags and top box on the bike, then it makes it difficult).

I also got the a Pitbull front stand too that lifts the bike up from the forks. And I just bought a Pitbull rear stand for my 600RR last week.

I got all my stands from my local Cycle Gear store. Pitbull makes a great stand, but it's also one of the most expensive stands out there. There are quite a few other brands that look like they work just as well as the Pitbull but for less money. I'd probably would of bought one of these more affordable stands, but I was able to use a 20% off coupon for each of my Pitbull stand purchases. :biggrin:

Be careful removing the center stand, the bolt on the right side is left thread.

You @#%@#$ kidding me!!! :biggrin: No wonder I snapped that bolt off. :biggrin:

Archived