My 97 Vfr Keeps Blowing The Same Fuse Over And Over

rektifyre

My 97 VFR keeps blowing the DashGaugeLight/TailLight Fuse.

I had the bike put away over the winter, and made no electrical component changes during storage. A couple days ago, I took it back out, put the battery in (had it disconnected for the winter), and at dusk noticed I had no gauge lights. I checked the fuse and saw it was blown. So, I put in the spare 10AMP, and as soon as I turned the key to BATTERY ON, it blew again.

What happened?

(I have almost no experience with electrical maintenance so please bare with me)

• Member Contributer

"(I have almost no experience with electrical maintenance so please bare with me)"

Me too. Time to learn. By best suggestion is to start at the fuse box and check your connections, throughout. Make sure there are no loose crossed wires, corrosion, burnt goodies. Sorry. That's the best I have. Somethings got to be shorted, somewhere.

• Member Contributer

It greatly helps to know which fuse it is and what circuits it controls. Start there and start tracing the leads until you find a short. If you can disconnect items like the tail light, etc then do so until you find what is causing the circuit to pop. It just takes time and patients. Good luck.

• Member Contributer
It just takes time and patients. Good luck.

Patients? Are you a doctor or do you just play one on the internet? .......Patience........sorry I sometimes feel the need to play an arse. I can't help myself. :pissed:

OK, on the serious side, let us know what you find with the electrical problem so when it happens to my '97 I'll know what to do.

........maybe call an electrical doctor and ask him or one of his patients........oh crap.....sorry again..

• Member Contributer

Patients? Are you a doctor or do you just play one on the internet? .......Patience........sorry I sometimes feel the need to play an arse. I can't help myself. :pissed:

OK, on the serious side, let us know what you find with the electrical problem so when it happens to my '97 I'll know what to do.

........maybe call an electrical doctor and ask him or one of his patients........oh crap.....sorry again..

yeah, i know... too much of a hurry to type and too long of a day at work to think. Not a doctor, but I am an electrical engineer. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

You're forgiven because it is your birthday old fart!!!! :P

• Member Contributer

:goofy: On the disconnect components on the same circuit. I have come across broken filaments in light bulbs that dangle and ground out on the casing causing to pop fuses. If you don't have a rodent problem, my bet is on a burnt bulb.

Archived