Rim Trim

Stumpthumper

Question

• Member Contributer

I've seen several bikes with rim trim and I like the look. I've also seen stuff on ebay that looks like it's what people use. So, quick question, what exactly do people use for this? I don't want to start sticking crap to my bike if it's basically junk.

13 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Some is reflective. Folks will use it for extra visibility. Others just like bling.

• Member Contributer

I used both the large and small stripe versions off ebay. The larger version came in sections so you can install them with the wheels still on the bike. The thin stripe is basically like a roll of pinstripes, requires the wheels off the bike (unless you're really good!!!!!) and are more difficult to apply correctly. I prefer the look of the thinner versions. They are simply vinyl tape and not paint so they will tear or scratch with abuse but they hold up well to general road use and washings.

Make sure the wheels are really, really clean. I used the wet method on the thick stripes which made it much easier to position them relative to each other. The thins I applied dry as they don't stick instantly so you have time to pull up and re-apply. Just don't pull too hard or you will stretch the vinyl. Both kits had enough for extras.

Thin is in:

baffinbaycurve.jpg

Thick and hearty:

KG9K3084.jpg

• Member Contributer

I had the bike shop do it..... the stuff came on a roll and I realised that it would be a :rolleyes: to apply

The bike shop agreed........

HPIM4657.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hello:

I got mine from an eBay seller, "glsigns." There you can pick the color, rim size (the stickers are curved), and the width of the sticker / stripe itself; three choices 3mm/.125 in, 6mm/.25 in (their "standard" size), 10mm/.375 in. I've used these, the curved ones (take a look at my bike in the Gallery section), and they are quite easy to apply. They give you an extra one or two (can't remember) to be used if you screw-up on the installation of one.

One of the other posts stated that the rims must be very, very clean, and that is true. After I cleaned mine, I took a very fine 2000 grit sand paper, just to roughen-up the edge of the rim, ever so slightly. My thinking was that it would assist the long-term adhesion of the wheel stripes. If you put your bike up on stands, they are simple to apply.

I've never tried the straight tape. That just seems like a lot of work to me.

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer
Do you know your widths?

:rolleyes:

Strange question to ask a man, but if you really need to know

at least an inch and a half!!!

:beer:

I git the 1/4" wide stuff sold on Ebay for 10$ in 4 sections per side. Super easy to do, the trick is to clean the wheels real good then wipe down w/ alcohol before applying. It wasn't perfect but it doeesnt have to . I wish now I got the reflective ones.

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

They will get scratches and scuffs but after 5 tire changes and 15K miles they still look pretty good.

• Member Contributer

My rim stripes are one solid piece (each laser cut out of an 18" square.) The most common methods are to use:

1) rim tape that comes in four semi-circle pieces for each side

2) a roll of pinstriping tape and work your way around the rim with it

The reason I went with solid pieces is because I've seen too many poor jobs resulting from one of the aforementioned methods. The problem is it cost me $160! I forget what type of material was used, but it's high quality and has a five year warrantly against fading. I also got to choose from about five different shades of red. The price also included professional installation.

The '07 R1 and 1098S come from the factory with rim stripes. Theirs, however, are painted on. I forget the width of my stripes but it's the same as it is for both of these bikes. It's one thing to see a poor job on less expensive bikes but I've seen them on new, top-of-the-line bikes, too. Strictly speaking for myself, I think it's worth paying more.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

DSCN0021.jpg

• Member Contributer
This is the item I found when searching for the reflective tape. I don't know if it's a different product from the one on Fleebay. They do have VFR specific color choices.

http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/RimstripesHome.html

I bought mine from Tapeworks. :thumbsup: You can ask them to cut them in half to make them thinner if you want. A guy I work with did that. Mine are just black reflective tape. They also sent me a sheet of black reflective tape to put on the rear! It's pretty cool!!

The thin roll that is like a pin stripe sucks to put on. I had my wheels off and still couldnt get it perfect. I have to have it perfect so I gave up and took it off. I need to try the pre curved version.

I did the thin stuff just to see if I would like it. Bought car pinstriping from the local auto parts store for a couple of bucks. Even bought two different colors since it was cheap enough just to see which I liked better. It was a pain to put on and it never was straight, but from a few feet away you couldn't tell anyways. For the next bike (track bike) I bought the pre-curved 4 section stuff from e-bay. It was better, but still not super easy or perfect. With that stuff you end up with overlapping ends.

Archived