6th Gen Electrical Recall - Parts Are In Hand

KanadianKen

I have a front harness that is from Mother Honda for my 02 - regarding the recall. I have had a quick look but I'm not so sure its beefed up enough, compared to the fixes I've already done.

I'll post up some pics in a bit - but has anyone taken the tape off their "Recall" harness to see if the connections are better than what was OEM?

I might strip off some tape at the junctions to see what they did.

I don't see a ground wire in the blue connector for example - I wonder if they routed the ground circuit elsewhere?

All for now - anyone else had a close look at the piece sent from Honda?

I will say that I am impressed with the gauge of wire they used for the 30 amp connector - kinda looks like the wire I used to fix mine........ :thumbsup:

I noticed the green wire at the blue connector is no more. There is a wire on one side but not the other. I had the main harness replaced as well.

The ignition switch is run through a loop now. There are several changes.

I noticed the green wire at the blue connector is no more. There is a wire on one side but not the other. I had the main harness replaced as well.

The ignition switch is run through a loop now. There are several changes.

So how are they grounding this harness without that ground wire in the blue connector?

Ignition switch through a loop? Wonder why that was done?

• Member Contributer

There is an updated schematic in the recall. I tried to look it over, but the small size and not being able to use a ruler on screen made me cross eyed.

• Member Contributer

OK, I just zoomed in and stretched across all my screens.

It appears they have routed all of the ground connections for the front harness into the new T connector between the main harness and the R/R.

ETA:

Kind of odd: there are 2 ground wires going to the T connector, one of those is the ground for the left high and low beam headlight bulbs, everything else is on the other wire.

Also noticed, they no longer route the monitor wire through the ignition any more on the ABS model. it is tied into the red/white wires just after the connector like the design on the non-ABS bikes.

I couldn't resist...... I just removed the electrical tape from the replacement harness. I'll load up the photos in a few minutes.

THey have indeed run ALL the ground wires up to the RR connections.

Guess what - the connections inside the electrical tape are NOT SOLDERED. SImply crimped together.

Stay tuned!!

I was watching a techie show the other day and they were saying with todays technology. A good crimp on a good splicer is better than solder. I have always heard solder is best. +1.gif

• Member Contributer
I was watching a techie show the other day and they were saying with todays technology. A good crimp on a good splicer is better than solder. I have always heard solder is best. +1.gif

That is probably true, but I would be more concerned with a mediocre crimp on a mediocre splicer vs a mediocre solder splice.

Hey Ken, how did you get a hold of a new front harness? Did you take it off your bike?

I'm going to solder all the crimped connections, and keep this harness aside in case I start cooking the fixes I've already done. However, I'm very confident in the repairs I've made (enhancements) so this harness will sit tight until I need it.

I was able to work with a friend of mine that works at a Honda dealer to get me the harness. In their system my harness repair has been completed - with my consent.

I do like the repair/redo they made to the 30 amp section - I might implement that section as it's top notch.

Soichiro noted that the ground wire is gone from the blue harness. Tells me that those of us that fixed the blue connector issue by running a seperate ground to frame is a good thing!!!

• Member Contributer

I've had my recall done. Is the 30 amp connector part of the recall? It seems some people got front harness only and others are getting both harnesses (I think based on dealer inspection).

Is the 30 amp connector associated with the fron harness or rear?

Thanks,

Mark

I've had my recall done. Is the 30 amp connector part of the recall? It seems some people got front harness only and others are getting both harnesses (I think based on dealer inspection).

Thanks,

Mark

Good question - I didn't expect to get the 30 amp "Stuff" as well. GLad i did though. It is well done.

• Member Contributer

The 30amp fuse holder is part of the recall, just like the front harness. Both the 30 amp fuse and front harness should be replaced in all cases. If connectors are melted, they are supposed to replace the main harness as well.

Damn you, Kken! :goofy:

I thought I was going to get mine and do it myself and THEY renegged! :angry:

I was on a connector supply site once, and their arguement was that by soldering and or crimping a joint (or both), the flexibility of the 'strands' of the wire is lost, apparently possibility of a snap off point???

This could probably go back and forth forever....

That's kinda like why I chose to keep my Quadraphonic Sound System with the built in 8 Track, and My Beta VCR... :goofy:

Soldering will induce a lack of flexibility, but then crimps aren't too flexible either...and I prefer solder.

Soldering does take a lot longer...each VFRness I build takes about 1 hour of soldering (after being crimped) but I trust the results.

I have a front harness that is from Mother Honda for my 02 - regarding the recall. I have had a quick look but I'm not so sure its beefed up enough, compared to the fixes I've already done.

I'll post up some pics in a bit - but has anyone taken the tape off their "Recall" harness to see if the connections are better than what was OEM?

I might strip off some tape at the junctions to see what they did.

I don't see a ground wire in the blue connector for example - I wonder if they routed the ground circuit elsewhere?

All for now - anyone else had a close look at the piece sent from Honda?

I will say that I am impressed with the gauge of wire they used for the 30 amp connector - kinda looks like the wire I used to fix mine........ :thumbsup:

Hey, I have an extra VFR Harness built by tightwad that I'm not gonna use... you want it? If so, just hit me up... pay the shipping, and it's yours. (I'll send you another bottle of Gent. Jack to put you in the right frame of mind to install it) smile.gif

The 30amp fuse holder is part of the recall, just like the front harness. Both the 30 amp fuse and front harness should be replaced in all cases. If connectors are melted, they are supposed to replace the main harness as well.

Ok so I went to my local dealer which will remain nameless hanyon Conda and the guy told me it was just an inspection not a replacement, then he looked it up and said oh ya it is replacement, when I asked about the 30 amp replacement he said it was just the front, I inquired about the main harness, he said "Uh no that not included.". With that I have decided to take my bike elsewhere but does anyone have the actual document from honda that calls out what is to be replaced? I want to go armed with all the info because I have had to replace my 30 amp fuse months ago and I dont want to fight them over labor and this and that to get my bike running.

Ahh Good Times,

I do love my VFR though.

• Member Contributer
Ok so I went to my local dealer which will remain nameless hanyon Conda and the guy told me it was just an inspection not a replacement, then he looked it up and said oh ya it is replacement, when I asked about the 30 amp replacement he said it was just the front, I inquired about the main harness, he said "Uh no that not included.". With that I have decided to take my bike elsewhere but does anyone have the actual document from honda that calls out what is to be replaced? I want to go armed with all the info because I have had to replace my 30 amp fuse months ago and I dont want to fight them over labor and this and that to get my bike running.

There is a PDF file of the recall floating around here. I have it on another computer, but don't have access to it right now or I would post it for you.

There is a list of parts that is replaced, which includes the 30 amp fuse assembly. It is supposed to be replaced in all cases with this recall.

The main harness is not generally replaced during the recall. The recall notice says to contact Honda support if wiring is melted or has been modified. Honda will then make the determination if the main harness should be replaced.

You will probably not have any luck taking it to another dealer, as the first dealer has already submitted the claim and been paid, so Honda is not going to pay another dealer to do the work again. I would read over the recall yourself so you are familiar with it, and bring it in with you and explain to them what needs to be done.

• 2 months later...

I'm scheduled for my harness replacement in a couple of weeks. The dealer says they have the parts and it will take a couple of hours to complete the work, yeah right!

My question is does the recall fix the charging issues associated with the monitor wire? Just curious if anyone has checked before and after recall voltages??

• Member Contributer

Yes. The new harness fixes* the monitor wire issue.

*fixes as in, they re-wire it and it avoids the voltage drop that causes 16+ volts from my R/R but... when I had fixed it myself and then with tightwad's VFRness, the voltage was always within .1 volt of 14.4. Now with the recall done, it varies greatly between 13.5 and 14.4

Archived