Garmin Customer Service

KanadianKen

I have the Zumo 550. I love it - most of the time.

I've had two issues with it; 1) the rain cover that protects the pins on the base was cracking and about to break - Garmin sent me a new one - admitted a product problem, and apologized profusely 2) sometimes the Garmin ZUMO 550 won't start up and I have to use an allen key to remove the battery - reinstall it - and then it fires up. - NO RESOLUTION FROM GARMIN YET

I emailed Garmin last week about the no start issue. They responded promptly, apologized, and sent me a new battery. I don't believe the battery to be the problem, as the last Garmin rep said that a software update was in the works to fix the issue.

I believe I will receive the new battery - but I want the damn thing to fire up when I hit the button.

I know others have had this issue, so I wanted to share my experience.

Garmin was 100% professional on the phone, and on email - EXCELLENT service. I just hope that they resolve this no start issue soon. I was out of town, no paper maps with me - and was relying on the ZUMO to get me around. Had to go and buy a map!!!

ANyone else have similar issues - and service from Garmin?

• Member Contributer

I have had this happen a few times. I searched on the zumo550 forum and found that if I hold the power and + button for a few seconds, could have been 15 or more seconds I cant recall at the moment. Point being it resets it and it will turn on. I have had to do this prolly 3 times this summer. :joystick: It always comes right back up with no data loss.

• Member Contributer

When my 1 month old one(ZUMO 450) finally went off and absolutely wouldn't come back on I called Garmin....they gave me several solutions that none worked. They were gonna' replace it, but when I said I bought it from Tiger GPS, they told me to call them and they would do it because they were their largest dealer. Sent me a whole new complete package immediately......Garmin and Tiger GPS have been great to deal with. The second unit (wood knocking sound) has been flawless............. :thumbsup:

I have the Zumo 550. I love it - most of the time.

I've had two issues with it; 1) the rain cover that protects the pins on the base was cracking and about to break - Garmin sent me a new one - admitted a product problem, and apologized profusely 2) sometimes the Garmin ZUMO 550 won't start up and I have to use an allen key to remove the battery - reinstall it - and then it fires up. - NO RESOLUTION FROM GARMIN YET

I emailed Garmin last week about the no start issue. They responded promptly, apologized, and sent me a new battery. I don't believe the battery to be the problem, as the last Garmin rep said that a software update was in the works to fix the issue.

I believe I will receive the new battery - but I want the damn thing to fire up when I hit the button.

I know others have had this issue, so I wanted to share my experience.

Garmin was 100% professional on the phone, and on email - EXCELLENT service. I just hope that they resolve this no start issue soon. I was out of town, no paper maps with me - and was relying on the ZUMO to get me around. Had to go and buy a map!!!

ANyone else have similar issues - and service from Garmin?

I have both the same issues... but have been too lazy to fix them smile.gif Thanks for blazing a trail, I will contact them next week :thumbsup:

Cradle problems are the only issue I've had with my 550.

I use Garmin in my airplane and Magellan in my car and bike. Never needed Garmin tech support but it's good to hear they are good. Magellan on the other hand is the worst example of customer service. Worse than dealing with DirecTV! You get some guy with an India like accent (Bernie)you can't understand reading from a script that he absolutely won't deviate from. They put you on hold for 5 minutes at a time as they do what ever. Getting an RMA for warranty service is like cancelling AOL service. I love their GPS's, but the next time it breaks, I'm throwing it away. Not worth the hassle. YMMV

• Member Contributer

Garmin replaced my rubbers :wheel: on my Zumo MC mount ...no charge. Used the reset once in a year - the procedure in covered in the one page card that comes with unit.

I guess Im lucky so far, I too have not had any problems with my 550 but its good to know they have good customer service if its needed. :thumbsup:

:goofy: HMMM,,,, never used one, seems like when I'm riding I don't care where I am,, or if I'm lost :lol:

It's more of an expensive MP3 player for myself. I've actually turned the voice instructions off because it usually starts talking right in the middle of a good song. :D It does come in handy though if I need to find a gas station or some place to eat. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have had the same problem and have used the "hold the + Key and power button" and "remove the battery restarts" I have only had to remove the battery once and used the button combination twice. A Garmin techie told me the unit isn't frozen, just the screen locks and the Zumo is actually still on. The first time this happened to me I was on the road and didn't get a chance to trouble shoot the problem when I got home. A couple of days later I tried to start the unit on battery power and it wouldn't turn on, but when I put in by car mount it fired right up. The battery had gone completely dead this re-set the unit.

I found that every time my unit locked up was after I turned off the ignition and got the window to shut down or continue on battery power with count down timer as the default and I let the count down to off happen. Ever since I started pushing either continue on battery or shut down, my unit has not locked up. Maybe the auto shut down be the problem.

On another matter and not trying to hi-jack this post, but does anyone have POI's for Honda M/C Dealers for Canada and the US? I asked Honda Canada if they had a complete listing available, but they referred me to their web page. You can only look at dealers city by city making it virtually impossible to create a valid listing without missing someone. It would be handy to have a Custom POI for Honda when touring. So far searching the web hasn't provided anything.

Here is the stand alone Post

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=38235&hl=

Well my first "problem" manifested last weekend, in that the map zoomed out a couple of times by itself while I was trundling along.

One moment it looks normal, the next time I glance at it, it was zoomed out to almost a state-wide view.

Has anyone else had this happen?

• Member Contributer
Well my first "problem" manifested last weekend, in that the map zoomed out a couple of times by itself while I was trundling along.

One moment it looks normal, the next time I glance at it, it was zoomed out to almost a state-wide view.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Yes, my zumo change scale regularly. It seems to be relative to speed and the number of roads to display. I like this intuitive nature of the zumo. It would be pretty hard to make any sense of a 20 foot view travelling at 70MPH.

Garmin sent me a replacement battery. I had to pay $21 duty to accept it. NOT IMPRESSED. I emailed them a week ago - no response as to what they would do to cover me.....

THe FU#king thing froze up again today. I just about threw it out the window at 130km/h. Trouble is - when it works - it works great. When it doesn't - it sucks big time.

I'll try the restart sequence in the am. If that doesn't work - I'll reset the battery.

ARgh.........

• 7 months later...

Little update.....

After several more calls and emails to Garmin I was told I had to send my unit to a repair depot in Quebec, as it was the only authorized depot in Canada. (Returning it to the USA was NOT an option...)

SO I send it there and I'm told three weeks minimum turn around time to either repair it - or replace it.

The battery they sent me did bupkiss. The software upgrades - nothing changed - the thing won't start half the time unless I pull the battery out and it resets.

I'm at week two tomorrow that they've had it. They also state not to call them to check on the status of your order, as 3 weeks is the minimum and calling won't speed things up..... arrogant SOB's.

If it comes back and is repaired - and still won't power up - I'm not sure what else I can do. I will cross my fingers that I get a new unit.

I asked them for a loaner unit while they had my Zumo - laughter and snickering at the other end of the phone. I didn't think that was a dumb question as our riding season here is so short and to be without the unit for three to four weeks is a bit much.

I'm not impressed with Garmin anymore....

Archived