Home Made Electrical Clothing

Tightwad

• Member Contributer
Someone has more "free time" than I do................. :unsure:

Now how is that possible? :unsure:

vince

HAHA, free time?? he "only" has 4137 posts, there are some that have more,,,,,,oh wait, thats the Mods, nevermind :lol:

• Member Contributer

See this is "NOT" free time......I'm "WORKING" on trying to get the motorcycle world to see it all from the "RIGHT" perspective........"MINE"............... :P.....and the "CORRECT" figure now is 4,140, and "DUE" to change.... :unsure:

• Member Contributer
See this is "NOT" free time......I'm "WORKING" on trying to get the motorcycle world to see it all from the "RIGHT" perspective........"MINE"............... :P.....and the "CORRECT" figure now is 4,140, and "DUE" to change.... :unsure:

Good luck on the "perspective thing" here,,,, or are you that good that even the wife sees it your way?? :lol:

• Member Contributer

Good luck on the "perspective thing" here,,,, or are you that good that even the wife sees it your way?? :lol:

...........now that you brought that up........................Uh, no.............. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

This is the one fundamental difference of thinking between people who understand money and people who do not. The person who made that website (in 2003) had to have spent a decent amount of time not only designing and making that vest but also the website.

Take, for example, ScottyDo's point that the Gerbing's vest is $139. If someone spent 5 hours making that vest and saves themselves $60, that would mean they value their own time at $12/ hour. I would think that would be on the low side for the average of this board.

Another example; buying a used one on eBay for $65. (I didn't just make that up, I paid $62 1 year ago). If they could make one for $69 and it took 5 hours, or buy one for $65 in 5 minutes, then that person would be PAYING an additional $4 for the opportunity of making one. Or, in money terms they would be placing a value of their time at NEGATIVE $0.80/hr. Not good money sense.

Don't get me wrong; I love to work on things and get my hands dirty, but I do it because I like to do it. I change the oil on my '04 (and its a pain, living in a condo), but I won't wash my own car, mainly because I don't enjoy it.

I started thinking about this a few years ago when I saw that someone was looking for an owners manual, but didn't want to go to the dealer because it was $13.

• Member Contributer
See this is "NOT" free time......I'm "WORKING" on trying to get the motorcycle world to see it all from the "RIGHT" perspective........"MINE"............... :P.....and the "CORRECT" figure now is 4,140, and "DUE" to change.... :beer:

...........now that you brought that up........................Uh, no.............. :rolleyes:

Oh I bet she sees it your way,,,,,,,,,,, as long as it matches hers :lol:

I found this site, which was very interesting to me...it details how to make your own heated clothing. Figured someone might find it useful:

http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html

Already tried it. I must of had a short or a broken wire when I put mine together because it never worked. I've been meaning (for the last couple of years) to take it apart and see what happened. I know it worked for a little bit because I tested it and it got nice and warm, but when I was doing the finally stitching, I must of broke something.

Anyway, even if I never fix it, I can still use the homemade vest by itself. It's nice and toasty.

There are two things at play here:

#1. From the fiscal side of it, sure you may spend 5 hours making it, at an average of $12 an hour, but you have to ask yourself what else you would be doing with that time. If you have a comparative advantage (could use that same 5 hours making more money), then do that, otherwise you save yourself $60(or more) because instead of watching the football game you made a vest (or did both at the same time). Personally if i can't make $30 an hour I will do something for $20, or $10, or whatever I can get.

#2. Maybe you enjoy doing stuff because creating is more important than saving the money by itself. I know I have often done things the less economical way because I enjoyed the creation. I think many of us fall into this bucket...the same reason we spend hours tinkering on helmet locks, superbike bars, headlight mods, etc....we do it for the love we share with the bike.

I am mostly about #2...I enjoy inventing/creating. The money savings is nice....enables me to have things I would otherwise do without for budget reasons.

Guest ScottyDo

I tend to use a complicated formula subject to wide variations that takes the following variables.

1. How much of a pain in the ass is it to make/modify it?

2. How badly do I want it?

3. Can I afford it (new or used)?

4. Will my wife find out how much I spent?

In the case of a heated vest the pain in the ass factor is high and a used one on eBay at $65 or so is affordable so I would definitely not make one - but that is just me.

• Member Contributer

I would make me some electric clothing but i'm afraid I would burn my Nucking Futz... :beer: It would give new meaning to driving like my hair is on fire and my a$$ is catchin'. :rolleyes: Besides don't all of us have enough problems with things melting, burning, and overcharging.

Edited by elittle

I would make me some electric clothing but i'm afraid I would burn my Nucking Futz... :beer: It would give new meaning to driving like my hair is on fire and my a$$ is catchin'. :rolleyes: Besides don't all of us have enough problems with things melting, burning, and overcharging.

Ya but, think of it this way; when it F's up, you could send yourself your own recall letter :goofy:

A lot of times the only way I'll spend that much time on something is if I KNOW I'll come out with something superior to what's out there. If that's modding something I already have to make it better or tearing it apart to figure out what went wrong (so I can mod a new one to make it better) I'll do it. Of course there's a balance here between money and time too. If I can get something for $10 bucks and make it equivalent to something worth $100 bucks in a short amount of time. . . that seems worth it to me. But making electrical clothing when the best stuff on the market can be had for a little more than a song. . . that doesn't seem worth the time.

:going to eBay to look for heated clothing: