Functional A Cool Looking Luggage

guytimes

I need some luggage for my backpack and extra helmet. My thinking is that I will get a top case that is just big enough for both, like the E370N. Possibly this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=130172533744 I don't want soft luggage, and I want to make sure I can have a passenger with my case too.

I like the look of the honda stock side bags instead of a giant "satelite" looking thing, riding behind me, but I don't think I want to be that wide, and it's probably more space than what I need for commuting. I'll probably just keep my eye open for some scratched up cheap stock side cases, as I won't use them very often anyway.

Can you tell me what luggage you use, and if you had to buy again, what you would buy? If you have side bags do you leave them on all the time? Is the top case geeky and old man looking? Hmm, decisions decisions...

A pick of my cuz and my bike, by the ohio river in Loiusville, KY

gallery_12613_3453_75054.jpg

• Member Contributer

I echo the thoughts on the OEM bags. Each bag can hold a full face helmet and lots of other stuff. I have the helmet guardian on the back for hanging the helmet on stops as well. When we travel, I pack each bag and then simply take the bag off when I reach our destination. I would do the hard bags again for the ease of travel and security of having locking bags. I keep the OWM bags on the bike most of the time. That way I always have rain gear and various other stuff with me and have someplace to put items in case I pick up something on the road.

I never carry a passenger so on that section I use the Cortech sport tail bag and then I am good to go for trips. In fact this is the set up I used for our three week trip to California this past summer.

I have OEM bags, love them. I used them when i need then, pop them off and leave them in the garage when i don't. I'd buy them again in a minute.

Amen to that.

I bought my bags to use on longer trips, but I find myself leaving them on most of the time! Especially when riding to work, they're great. Lunch and coffee on one side, then the helmet, gloves, etc. go in the other side when I get there. So much better than carrying it with me all over the place!

OUCH3007.jpg

OUCH30092.jpg

As a bonus, you'll get less "unwanted attention" when you have the bags on.(I need that!) :thumbsup:

Wow, 3 votes side bags, 0 votes top case. Anyone disagree?

In that "case", I will probably go for some good condition side bags since I will probably have them on all the time unless I want to look REALLY cool. I hear they make nice sliders too :salesman:

I know how I am... lazy. Whatever I get, I will probably leave on all the time.

In that "case", I will probably go for some good condition side bags since I will probably have them on all the time unless I want to look REALLY cool. I hear they make nice sliders too :salesman:

I see you have an '05, check the David Silver Spares website and see if the bags are still on 'discontinued color' sale... I got mine brand new, shipped to my door, for $430. :thumbsup:

Nevermind, I'll make this easy for you: Linky

They have the silver '05 color as well.

Or you could spend a little more, and get all three bags(two sides and top), for about the cost of buying the sides alone new at your local dealer.

I've bought two sets of bags from them, and both orders went off without a hitch. Shipping is expensive, because they only ship UPS Express. Which means that if you live on or near the eastern seaboard, you will get your brand new half price 'panniers' in four business days. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I went with a GIVI E46 topcase + FZ166 rack. It's a little odd-looking, but it does the job. I've noticed very little drop in fuel economy, and if I move on to a new bike, the GIVI can come with me.

OEM side bag setup was pricey, and makes lane-splitting much harder.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you my setup wurx for me and I'm happy with it. Though I look like a dork...

Check my gallery for a peep at the 2006 with the black GIVI

• Member Contributer

Another vote for side bags. I don't care for the look of a topcase.

Take a look around Twisted Throttle.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2800/91/

This link is to the mounting brackets. But it gives a good look at another style of bags. They come in different colors.

I think that they look better than the OEM bags. They are made by GIVI. They also tuck in under the pipes like the OEM bags.

They are less $$$ as well.

Good luck.

love the OEM hard luggage. i bought the sidebags originally, and they are soooo... handy for long or short trips.

this year i bought the top case, best addition i've made. the three pieces combined held enough stuff, including a laptop, for a 20 day trip.

well worth the investment.

DSC_0001.jpg

At $430 it seems the honda side bags from DS spares would be the way to go, I can't believe he sells them so cheap. But I do like the Givi V35's for the resale value idea. hmm.. THank you for all your help guys.

Ken, those are not as pretty has the V35's or the honda OEM, but I'm looking for a bargain. How much?

+1 on the givi v35 sidecases. They're cheap and easy to install. Only downside is you really cant fit a full face helmet in them. I love mine otherwise.

• Member Contributer
love the OEM hard luggage. i bought the sidebags originally, and they are soooo... handy for long or short trips.

this year i bought the top case, best addition i've made. the three pieces combined held enough stuff, including a laptop, for a 20 day trip.

well worth the investment.

Hey, how big is the top case? I ride with OEM panniers for long trips but a Ventura bag every day and I was considering swapping to a top box so I can do the following:

1. Arrive at customer
  2. Open top case, remove backpack
  3. Place helmet in top case
  4. Enter customer carrying only backpack and bike jacket.

Is the case big enough for a large backpack that would take a widescreen (15") laptop?

• Member Contributer

I have an E460 on mine. I went with a topcase rather then the sidecases because it doubled as a backrest for the passenger during 2-up riding. I don't think it looks that bad on the bike, and its great to have to store gear rather then carry it around with you. The 460 will take two helmes side-by-side, or a helmet and jacket. Plus, when the bag is off, the FZ166 rack doesn't really stand out from the lines of the bike. However, if I didn't have a passenger to care for, I probably would have gone with the sidecases.

P8120070.jpg

I have a set of Nelson Rigg saddle bags and tail bag for my bike. As far as security goes, you cant compete with the hard stuff, but I can mount the complete set onto the bike in 3 minutes and take them off in 2 minutes when I am traveling with a full load. If i am around town and just using the tailbag, I can have it on and off the bike in less than a minute and it carries a lot. The thing I like most is that when the stuff is off the bike there are no leftover brackets sticking out. With a little thinking I have them set up ow that I can mount them up without the grab rails or the passenger pegs on the bike.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Sport-Tour...lver-Streak.htm

I got the deluxe sport saddlebags and the sport tailbag. I think the total cost was less than $250 for it all shipped.

I had a Givi V46 topcase on my VFR - perfect for carrying a backpack, then stowing a helmet.

Viffer1.jpg

Then I moved it to my BMW K1200S.

KBikeTopcase.jpg

I know it's probably not the best looking setup, but the functionality is perfect for my use. I think you might have trouble fitting your backpack with 15" widescreen laptop in that E370N topcase.

Man! I wish I would have known about the DS Spares website! I just bought a used set of OEM saddlebags (with scratches) on eBay for a little over that price. Still better than dealer prices, but would have liked new for less. smile.gif

I also have a Givi Top Case. It came with the bike, so no complaints. This is what I have:

SW-Motech Alu-Rack Toprack

Top Case: Givi Monolock E450 Simply (45 litre) w/ 3M Diamond Brite reflective tape under the tail lens to make it shine!

The E450 fits 2 helmets and some other small stuff (or more often, my laptop, shoes, schoolbooks, etc.). I haven't recieved the saddlebags yet, so I can't review them.

Man! I wish I would have known about the DS Spares website! I just bought a used set of OEM saddlebags (with scratches) on eBay for a little over that price. Still better than dealer prices, but would have liked new for less. smile.gif

I also have a Givi Top Case. It came with the bike, so no complaints. This is what I have:

SW-Motech Alu-Rack Toprack

Top Case: Givi Monolock E450 Simply (45 litre) w/ 3M Diamond Brite reflective tape under the tail lens to make it shine!

The E450 fits 2 helmets and some other small stuff (or more often, my laptop, shoes, schoolbooks, etc.). I haven't recieved the saddlebags yet, so I can't review them.

PICS Whittecar?

So the E450 would fit a helmet AND a backpack? Does anyone know the size in Liters of the OEM case?

So the E450 would fit a helmet AND a backpack? Does anyone know the size in Liters of the OEM case?

I doubt that unless it's a REALLY small backpack - I can't fit my helmet and backpack in my V46 at the same time. The OEM topcase is 45 liters.

• Member Contributer

I used Cortech soft luggage for a year or two, and it worked fine besides the straps needing checking on. I never wanted the OEM hardbags at first, especially because of their price. But finally like many others, I gave in. My dealer sold them to me for $835. But I'll admit, there were worth every penny (even though I wish i wouldve got them from DSS for MUCH less $$). But regardless, they look as good as hardbags can look on our bikes, are totally functional, weather tight, etc. The only thing is that I wish there were some kind of rubber "feet" on the bottoms of them to allow them to stand freely when not installed, and without scratching. I'm also not wild about the powder coating being rubbed off the mounting brackets after a few thousand miles, exposing basically bare metal, and of course, then rust beginning to form. Not exactly stylish.

• Member Contributer

I also have the Givi V46 top case. I went that route for all the 2 up riding I do and you can fit 2 full sized RF-1000 helmets in there. I would love to add a set of side cases to expand my carrying ability but to be honest, I have yet to exceed the V46 and tank bag combo.

gallery_9864_2412_346154.jpg

Givi V46.JPG

With the top case on.

gallery_9864_2412_40325.jpg

Givi Bracket.JPG

Without.

And the V46 has optional color matched covers you can interchange as well as an optional brake light kit. Whole price new is a lot less than 2 side cases if that is a factor. :thumbsup:

Edit: I looked up the pair of V35 side cases on twisted throttle ($467.10 not counting shipping and mounting kit) and it is still cheaper to get the OEM from David Silver spares after shipping (approximately $430 with mounting kit). :o I wonder if you can mount OEM side bags with the Givi top rack?

• Member Contributer

Check out the Five Star mounting system,Twisted Throttle has em.A set came with my 02.The mounting brackets come off quickly(minutes) and don't leave all the ugly pipes hanging off the side.You can use Givi,Kappa,or Krauser bags on them,all high quaility,I have the Kappas.I use a SW-Motech setup on my CB919 and love how I can take off the brackets in under 2 mins,I think they make a set for the VTEC.

I like the lines of the stock bags,but you cant remove the mounting hardware quickly and they are expensive.

Archived