Lost Title

frodus

So the guy I bought my motorcycle from isn't wanting to help me get a

duplicate title. Its been lost. He is the owner,

but since he doesn't live in new york anymore they can't duplicate the

title. I know its not stolen. Plus, new york has purged the title from

the system since it hasn't been registered in 15 years. He just used it at the track or something. NY said they'd send a letter to him stating that the title has been purged and a new one must be created. So NY can't register it, and he won't go to the DMV to register it in FL. He said he doesn't have time.

Anyone know of what I could do? I was considering salvage/abandoned?

I know There's title services, but I'm not sure what I get... and if

it will even jive with the Oregon DMV. Oregon said no title for me, if

I don't have the title signed to me. But i remember a guy a couple years back

saying that its easy to get a lost title for a motorcycle, but I'm not seeing that its so easy... maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The easiest way to more forward on it is to have him sign and have notarized a limited POA (power of attorney) for the bike and VIN. along with a bill of sale, this should give you legal means to do whatever is possible whatever that might be.

Many states are purging after as little as 10 years or sooner. :beer:

I had a similar deal. I filed an abandoned vehicle application. They sent a registered letter(at my expense) to the owner of record. Naturally the owner was long gone from that address, the letter came back to them, and the vehicle was mine.

This was with a Watercraft in Utah, but i am sure a similar situation exists for abandoned vehicles in other states. Alternatively you can file a mechanics lien, then foreclose on it?

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the abandoned thing. He'd sign it over to me, if thats all he had to do.

If the bike wasn't in great condition, and only $400 bucks, I wouldn't have done it. I've already made my money back parting some of it out..... I'm actually converting to electric, so the engine/electrical/exhaust have been removed. So, after all is said and done, I've got a rolling chassis that only cost me 200 bucks. I could easily make the rest if I parted out the remainder of the bike. So its not a loss.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the abandoned thing. He'd sign it over to me, if thats all he had to do.

If the bike wasn't in great condition, and only $400 bucks, I wouldn't have done it. I've already made my money back parting some of it out..... I'm actually converting to electric, so the engine/electrical/exhaust have been removed. So, after all is said and done, I've got a rolling chassis that only cost me 200 bucks. I could easily make the rest if I parted out the remainder of the bike. So its not a loss.

Well if your building a bike, then it will become an 07 homemade m/c. :thumbsup:

Well if your building a bike, then it will become an 07 homemade m/c. :thumbsup:

Exactly. You'll need a bill of sale and/or receipt to prove that you purchased all the necessary parts, or previously owned them, then you will have to get it inspected at the nearest STATE inspection station. They will issue you a new VIN which you can then try to get insurance with...

That's how NY's process works, I found out because I have this dream of building my own T-rex... with a ZX-10R motor... :blink:

Concerning titling it as a "kit" vehicle...thats something I hadn't really thought about yet. I'm going to get information from the DMV tomorrow. I don't know a ton of people that have converted. Do you have to have a title when you purchase a motorcycle frame?

My former girlfriend lost the title to my VFR shortly after I bought it and before I had it put in my name. It was a nightmare. TN doesn't give you much room to screw around. I had to pay sales tax on it twice to get the title. Things might be different in your state. BR probably has the best idea though.

In California we have a form called Duplicate title and transfer. If he is the last owner of record it is the form to use.

If not then use an application for new registration and say you bought it at a yard sale for $100. The vins will need to be verified by dmv or a police or highway patrol person.

Your state is always happy to take your money (registration)...you just need to find the right way.

He can't do duplicate title because A) Its been purged, so they have no record. Its been destroyed. B) He doesn't live in new york, and FL needs something from NY stating its been destroyed.

All I need is:

VIN inspection from a police officer in Oregon

Letter from NY stating they destroyed the title, and cannot make a copy, and that it has to be reprocessed in the state he's in

Title application (without registration)

He needs:

ID

Proof of address

the stuff above

Then he goes to a title office (Not the DMV) and give it all to them. He just isn't as willing as he stated before.

• Member Contributer

I once got a title for an NC30 I had intended to take back to the 'States using one of the title services (this one was in Nevada, but I think they got the bike titled in Maine). Never shipped the bike (because I never came back to the 'States) so I never tried to get the new title converted into an actual registration, but in theory it should have worked. However, before you use an online title service, you may want to read this thread.

Ciao,

I would caution you on the homebuilt option. Insurance companies are classifying homebuilt as everything poorly engineered, radical and dangerous like those choppers they build on tv and in the back shed. Homebuilt = high insurance rates. Someone had this issue with a vespa scooter.

I would caution you on the homebuilt option. Insurance companies are classifying homebuilt as everything poorly engineered, radical and dangerous like those choppers they build on tv and in the back shed. Homebuilt = high insurance rates. Someone had this issue with a vespa scooter.

Well, found a frame on ebay, he's calculating shipping on it. Its got a clear title.

The homebuilt was last ditch effort...

Archived