Lbs 3.0 to 4.0 upgrade

Guest ManaBurrn

Guest ManaBurrn

Actually, I think the rear brake on the VFR750 is too powerful. I have heard of many riders locking up the rear wheel unintentionally on this model. The rear master cylinder on the VFR750 I believe is 12.7mm (1/2") which is very small, especially for a rear master cylinder. That puts the ratio at 9.0, which is the highest I have seen for a rear brake.

For reference, a stock VFR800 is 6.7, a SuperHawk is 7.5, and my VFR (even after all my modifications) is "only" 7.9. I am just talking about the rear brake here.

• 1 month later...
Guest ManaBurrn

Here is what the installation looks like.

The first picture here shows the front wheel from the left side.

This is also a view from the left side, showing more of the lines and connection points.

This is from the right side. ?Notice how clean this side looks without all the delay valve and extra hoses.

This is the view I have from my point of view. ?If you can tell the difference between the VFR and F4i master cylinder, you have better eyes than I.

Enjoy.

Very nice, Randal! I can't beleive I hadn't seen it until now. I have two questions: The short hoses - were they made with a bend, or did you put the bend in them? And can you reverse where the bend is to point inward, because with my luck, that exposed loop would catch something, and I would have no brakes. ?:wow:

• Member Contributer

Randal,

Is my impression that your setup omits the rear M/C activation of the front caliper? I don't see that hose.

I'd love to do a variation on this to my '02, keeping the (front) secondary activation of the rear, but completely eliminating the rear application of the front. The problem is the line from the PCV to the front makes a stop at the seconday MC and (apparently) serves as its fluid reservoir. This line has a double inlet banjo and, I presume will need to be replaced.

Does your generation of LBS have this line and, if so what did you do with it?  I think I see another braided line in the background of your left side images, but can't tell what it does.

thanks,

Guest AzizaVFR

vfrjim2002,

You are correct.  The rear pedel has no interaction with the front calipers at all.  The other SS line you see is the one ran from the rear M/C to the front secondary M/C to supply it fluid.  It stops there.  

My system did have this line.  I replaced or removed all the lines to do with the front calipers.  The line you speak of could be replaced with a small SS line with a standard banjo hose end and a fitting to connect to the hard line just above the front fender.

Manaburn,

The small lines on the front calipers, connected the pistons, were made to fit.  That was the smallest I could make the lines without bending them so tightly to crimp the internal space.  I cannot bend the lines the other way, due to how the calipers are built.  They have a raised section just behind the banjo bolts, creating an obstruction.  I tried to make them smaller, using a right angle connector, but the distance between connections could not make perfect, hence the very small connectors and the small bend you see.

I have not has a single problem with them catching on anything.  If something hits them, the next thing you would experience is be vaulted off the bike.  They barely stick out from the calipers.

Enjoy.

Guest ManaBurrn

Randal -

Great - thank you! Would you mind if I added your pics and description to my page as an example of a full conversion?

And one more question - what is your confuguration now out back?

Guest AzizaVFR

To bleed the supply line, you pull fluid through the rear proportioning valve, located under the seat next to fuel tank, and also at the caliper.  The Honda service manual has the process I followed.

The rear caliper is activated in the OEM fashion, with the two outside piston connected to the rear brake pedal, and the middle piston ran by the secondary from master cylinder.

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok guys - suppose I swap the front end on my bike for one off a 929...I have to delink the brakes entirely, so how do I get the rear brake pedal to control all the pistons of the rear caliper, with two lines running to the rear ?

My first thoughts are to use Aziza's 'mini-link' on the rear caliper along with a 14 mm rear master cylinder from a CBR F4.

• Member Contributer
I'd run a single line directly from the stock rear M/C to the rear caliper and probably bridge the inlets. My bike has very Ducati-esque rear brakes and could use a little more authority on demand. If you prefer less power at the rear, just plug the inlet for the single (center) piston.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Please update the link, and the pictures!

I can't see anything! sad.gif

A mirror of the original webpage is being hosted on vfr750.com.

Be sure to thank VFRd member AfterBurn for his webhosting.

http://www.vfr750.com/mambo/content/view/27/39/

And scroll down a bit.

• 2 months later...
And this link/site is not working either....dang!

Any possibility of doing a repost?  Thanks!  - RandyB

Looks like the entire site is down. Maybe AfterBurn exceeded his bandwidth for the month?

Try again Sept 1st? Sorry, no other suggestions. sad.gif

• 11 months later...
Guest Johnny Diablo

Try the wayback machine (you can google it if you dont know what it is). I can host it off my home server when I get home later on if someone has it saved.