Where Are The Wear Bars On A Z6?

KanadianKen

I think my rear tire is about done - prolly about 5,000 miles on it. 3 good runs to the south with it - and a little slab riding up here.

Curious if there are actually wear bars on the Z6? ANyone know where they are - if they are on the tire?

thanks

I think my rear tire is about done - prolly about 5,000 miles on it. 3 good runs to the south with it - and a little slab riding up here.

Curious if there are actually wear bars on the Z6? ANyone know where they are - if they are on the tire?

thanks

The traditional wear bars are of no value at all on a Z6. The best thing to do is look at the very center of the tire all the way around and look for a steel belt imprint like a 1/2ich band begining to surface through the rubber.

I got 4200mile off a starad perilli rear , I'm going to try and see if the z6 rear will yield alittle more

I think you've done your last trip on that tire though

thanks

The traditional wear bars are of no value at all on a Z6. The best thing to do is look at the very center of the tire all the way around and look for a steel belt imprint like a 1/2ich band begining to surface through the rubber.

I got 4200mile off a starad perilli rear , I'm going to try and see if the z6 rear will yield alittle more

what are you going with next?

• Member Contributer

thanks

Have to respectfully disagree. There are traditional wear bars. When you see steel, you're at serious risk.

Ken, look at the very edge of the tire for very small letters "twi"....tread wear indicator. Follow the groove as far to the center as it will go. There WILL be a wear bar near the center but not in the center. When that wear bar is even with the tread....it's new tire time. When that wear bar is even, the center is really thin. I have a worn out rear in my garage OFF the rim. Sell it to ya at half price. :lol: BTW, why don't you get some real tires this time..... :goofy: I always cupped the front AND rear of Z6's and have had the last ones off my bike for a long time ago. They're bad about sliding if you hit the twisties hard. :thumbsup:

thanks Bent - I'll go have a closer look for the TWI indicator you mentioned. I did see one of the "grooves" with a good sized "bump" that is level with the center tread..... back in a bit! thanks for the tip!

I did see one of the "grooves" with a good sized "bump" that is level with the center tread.....

That's the wear indicator. :thumbsup:

Once it looks like a racing slick, it's well done. :goofy:

stuck a fork in it - its done.......

found the TWI initils on the tread, and found one of the wear bars that is about .5 mm below the center tread. its fubarred......

thats all folks........

:joystick:

It's easy to mess up with the Z6 because the wear bars aren't obvious. I've left on long-ish trips twice thinking I had a lot of tire left and 1,000 later I'm way past all common sense. Now I trade the rear out sooner. Buying tires on the road is expensive.

I've heard from other really fast guys the Z6 gets loose. I'm just a pretty fast guy and for me it's been very reliable, plus it gets two or three thousand miles more than the sportier tires. Warms up fast. Good in the rain. Unless I suddenly get a little faster, I'll probably stick wit it.

So many have run to the steel on the z6's and perillis, its a hard tire to guage versus your traditonal type wear bar. I can say when I thought I could sqeak out another 500 mile, 100 mile later steel was being seen, then first hint though was the imprint of the steel band, still covered by rubber at that point.

Luckily when steel showed I was 5 miles from the house, so I hobbled home and went to the moto store and bought a Pilot road, not a great choice.

I've been on that tire since end of june , it should come off towards the end of this month.

My z6 front hasnt had any cupping issue, wears really nice, maybe a difference in suspension set up.

Archived