Mileage Of The Rear Shock?

easyman05

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

I have a question: what is the usual mileage you expect from a stock shock on your VFRs before it needs replacement?

TIA

I don't think you can base it on mileage, kind of like "how many miles do you get from your tires"?

Too many variables. I'm sure there are people with over 50k miles on their stock shocks w/o issue.

When it stops controlling the rear springs bouncing you need a new one(or rebuild) :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

20K miles is a figure that is typically thrown around but as Kevin says it just depends on the unit itself. My wilbers shock recommends 20k for rebuilds.

My 6th gen has 25k hard miles on it and it is starting to feel squishy. I wish I could service it myself instead of having to replace it. A non-serviceable shock what kind of crap is that.

Hi all,

I have a question: what is the usual mileage you expect from a stock shock on your VFRs before it needs replacement?

TIA

I have 25,000 mile on my remote preload shock, I see no reason to replace it yet and I ride alot of rough road

2 up riding will wear a shock alot quicker too, that would cut the life by half atleast.

• Member Contributer

Thank you, guys!

My bike has 35000km/22000 miles on the clock. 2/3 of them were two-up with all three cases and tankbag. And some really bumpy roads at 100+.

I try to estimate the approach of "end" of the shock - during latest wash of the bike I found that the spring was dusty abd when touched it - it was oily.

But was that the oil from the shock or I rode across a spot of diesel fuel? The shock and ESA work fine so far. Washed it and will wait.

59,000 on my stock shock, still feels OK to me. :idea3:

Well, that's reassuring, people talking about 20k. I've got 38k and mine seems okay, but I also know how slow deterioration can escape notice. I need to go bounce my shocks.

but I also know how slow deterioration can escape notice

Yeah, well FWIW, many moons ago I owned a VW bus. It also seemed to ride OK.

Until one of the front shocks broke in half. Then it wasn't so good. :goofy:

JC Whitney, or was it Warshawsky? Sold me a new pair anyway. :thumbsup:

I should probably replace the suspension at both ends of my VFR.

Or just get a new VFR and let someone more inclined do that work. :salesman:

but I also know how slow deterioration can escape notice

Now, what about my hearing and once upon a long gone year pain free body? :idea3:

Archived