Typical Insurance Costs?

Guest AZdroptop

Guest AZdroptop

I'm in AZ and it seems I'm looking at about 500 a year for an 03 model and almost 800 for an 07! Wow. Big difference. I know rates vary tremendously on age, region ect, but do these sound ballpark? I'm 38 with no accidents.

• Member Contributer
I'm in AZ and it seems I'm looking at about 500 a year for an 03 model and almost 800 for an 07! Wow. Big difference. I know rates vary tremendously on age, region ect, but do these sound ballpark? I'm 38 with no accidents.

Cost seems a bit high to me, depends alot on zip code tho, My 07 vfr is 386 a year, full cov, 100-300, 1000.00 deduct, the 03 1800vtx is the same. Better check around some more, I have American Family, but I also insure house, and 6 other vehicles with them, may have something to do with the rates. 800 just seems high to me for a good record, and age, the only other thing is how long have you had a mc endorsment?? Taken the saftey class? That made a difference for mine, she asked about my license, I said, yep, had my mc endosment for while, at the time it was only 32 years, she didnt ask anymore questions after that. Damn, I'm getting old! <_< Oh well, I'm still here,, :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Southern California, full coverage, 45 y.o., clean record, $350 deduct., $430/yr. McGraw Insurance Services / Pacific Specialty Insurance.

I was thinking of ' new bike' - asked my insurance, they gave me a form :

strong price break at 750 cc.

in general, about $ 300 . or so fer a year - liability only.

full coverage ( required if ya have a loan, me thinks. for example) below 750 - about $700. - 800. per year.

above 750 cc - $1300 > 1500. per year. This is for sports type bikes. And the VFR was lumped in with Fireblades. Central Jersey.

• Member Contributer
I was thinking of ' new bike' - asked my insurance, they gave me a form :

strong price break at 750 cc.

in general, about $ 300 . or so fer a year - liability only.

full coverage ( required if ya have a loan, me thinks. for example) below 750 - about $700. - 800. per year.

above 750 cc - $1300 > 1500. per year. This is for sports type bikes. And the VFR was lumped in with Fireblades. Central Jersey.

It's about $1200 per year for full coverage in NC.

My insurance is $198 a year for full coverage.. 42 married no tickets or accidents..

I have my 99 VFR insured with PEKIN insurance .Then again i told the agent it was a sport touring machine.

Go through a insurance Broker and he will take your info and get 3-6 different quotes from different companies...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

2006 ST1300, full coverage. 50/100 uninsured motorist, $1000 dedutable - $18 per month with progressive

36yr old married male, mc endorsement, rider class, honda rider club discount, no tickets

• Member Contributer

I'm age 50. My VFR was new in 05 and Progressive wanted $1500 a year for basic full coverage outside Philadelphia PA. I have no accidents and no speeding tickets. My credit it above average. Geico cut that in HALF and increased the coverage. I was not happy with Progressive. My two cars and my home are insured with Erie and they did NOT offer to cover my motorcycle.

• Member Contributer

North Carolina happens to be in the top ten for most expensive insurance rates on bikes.

I, however, feel like I cheated the system. I opted to go with basic insurance through Geico and am paying roughly $13 a month. I was paying close to $60 through Progressive.

I'm 27, clean driving record, and good credit. I guess it also helps that the bike is 14 years old.

Florida has the cheapest rate if you're not paying a loan on your bike!

Sheesh....I pay ~$650, full coverage, 500 deductible. I also have uninsured and underinsured motorist...those are the ones that get you! I use Geico, I like their service, but for $200 a year I might like someone else's better.

I have noticed a few things in my years of insuring bikes....If you live in an area with different at-fault rules, prices are different. If you live in an area with cold weather, you usually pay less for motorcycles because they assume you don't ride year round. If you are young, they don't want to insure you for full coverage. Liability is cheap, but it is always your bike that loses in the accident.

• Member Contributer
42yrs. old '06 800 $376/yr full coverage with State Farm.

Funny how jumping across the boarder will save you that much. I'm switching to State Farm

34yrs. old '07 800 $789/yr full coverage in Canada. Still alot less then Riders Plus at $1450/yr.

Anyone in Canada thinking of switching INS carriers check State Farm, if you give them your house and car in the deal they just charge you $1per engine CC, funny to see my borther's CBR600 @ $585/yr when everyone else was telling him $2000+, feel sorry for Goldwing riders bases on that math mind you :o

24 yrs old, TN, Minimum liability through Progressive $70 per year. One ticket, no accidents. I recently checked insurance rates out through several companies for an '07 CBR600RR because I really wanted one but wanted to check the insurance rates first. The cheapest rate that I could find, and I told all of the insurance companies that I was 25 since I will not get the bike until after I turn 25, was $155 a month. Don't guess I'll be getting one of those babies for a while .

• Member Contributer

33 years old, no tickets, MSF and winter discount: $75 year for $50k/$100k liability through Sentry insurance (formerly Dairyland insurance). I live in So. Cal., and this is a great deal. It helps having a 12 year old bike in ceratin instances. ^_^

I was paying $128 a year for basic liability ($15/$30k) through Markel eBike Insurance, and decided I could squeeze a few pennies by shopping around. Markel insured my Suzuki GS500 for only $50 a year, which by the way, is probably the cheapest bike one can insure next to a pair of roller skates.

It's about $1200 per year for full coverage in NC.

For one bike? I guess that is about right.... Progressive - I pay $1280 a year to fully insure 3 motorcycles, including the 07 VFR in NC.... the full coverage portion of the VFR is $828 of that though (grrrrrr). It would be about $950 with liability + full coverage for just the VFR.... so it's a bit expensive (which is one of the reasons I am trying to sell that 07 now - 3 years of that buys me a nice TV, or even another inexpensive motorcycle... a lot of safety gear.... a nice new 'stitch.....).

$439.63 per year with State Farm

Full coverage with 100/300/100. $500/$1000 deductables for Comp/Collison. Uninsured with 100/300/100.

And the best part is my motorcycle rate never increases for tickets or accidents. :thumbsup: Instead my car insurance rate goes up. :rolleyes:

Also got a multiline discount too with my home owners insurance on there.

I'm 20 with no tickets/accidents and I'm paying $180/yr on an '85 vf700 with Progressive for liability only, although Allstate quoted me around $600/yr for the same coverage.

As a side note, when I took the MSF course they said that most companies would give some discount for taking the course, but when I was calling around for quotes that didn't seem to be the case.

Archived