Gutted Exhaust -- Don't Know If I Like The Sound -- Now What?

Guest cbennett5199

Guest cbennett5199

As soon as I got my '04 I knew that I needed to do something with the exhaust. Read a bunch of posts here and decided to do the gut job. Worked out fine, and had a local guy weld the caps back on. I like the rumbling at idle. That's nice. What I'm not sure I like is the painful, somewhat tinny wail when the vtec kicks in at about 7K rpm. There's such a break in tonal quality from pre- to post-vtec activation. Maybe it's that I'm used to in-line 4 bikes as well? I'm wondering if there is something that I can do to make my gutted mufflers more "throaty", smoother, and deeper sounding (describing sounds is hard) -- something like that. Just curious. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

• Member Contributer

I had my pipes gutted as well...........and some days I love it.........some days I hate it. My bike is my commuting bike and when trundling thru town, the gutted pipe puts out some sound.

My solution was to stuff the cans with some stainless steel scouring pads (not sos pads) but scouring pads. Sorry don't have a picture. I picked them up at Wal-Mart. Dirt cheap. They are in the shape of a donut. I cut the donut part so it was shaped more like a tube and stuffed about a dozen of these down in the cans.

It definately took the bark out of the pipes and you will get a nice deep throaty sound for just a few bucks.

Give it a shot!

• Member Contributer

It helps if you get rid of the damn whistle hole sized exit tubes. Check side by side exhaust thread. Still a little tinny, as the job was fresh. Much better no. Check my ride videos.

It helps if you get rid of the damn whistle hole sized exit tubes. Check side by side exhaust thread. Still a little tinny, as the job was fresh. Much better no. Check my ride videos.

Not sure where the "side by side exhaust thread" is?? Also, I'd like to check out your ride videos. How do I do that? Sorry for the probably rookie questions.

• Member Contributer

Darn newbies. (Just pull'n you'r chain). Give me an hour. typing this at work is grounds for termination.

• Member Contributer

K. This is better

Try these,

http://media.putfile.com/Lasers-Remus-Cyko-trash

http://media.putfile.com/Thursday-ride (I guess it's not so great an example, as I added music).

These, slammer has put in the player, on the home page,

http://media.putfile.com/kens-gutted (Standard gut)

http://media.putfile.com/vtech-gutted-shortenedand-reported ( Can't find my own how-to thread). LOL.

Or, trade with Synaptic Misfire. LOL.

Can't really explain it, but it seems to have gotten slightly deeper, the last few months. (Maybe with empty cans, I'm now blowing out cat. and not packing).

• Member Contributer

I bought a set off of Tinyminds that sounds great at all rpm's, especially up top! I,m not sure what he took out when he gutted them, but if you shooy him a PM I'm sure he'd tell you. wink.gif

• Member Contributer
I could be crazy but mine seemed to get a little louder with a slightly deeper tone after several hundred miles.

Seriously? I thought I was losing it. Well, if I am, at least I'm not alone. LOL.

Ahhhhh, here it is.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=29818&hl=

Thanks for the info everyone!

I took Grizfan's suggestion and bought some stainless scouring pads. I'll let folks know how that works for me. Who knows, maybe a really good way to get good sound is to gut, then go back and partially fill with these pads to mellow the tone a tad. We'll see.

• Member Contributer

I think you are gonna like the pipe packing job with scouring pads.

It made the exhaust perfect for me! It still has a rumble and it is way louder than the stock pipe. The pads just took the bark away.

Hey I have a '83 Interceptor 750 and i was wondering if i could gut my exhaust and if i can how do i go about this? Sorry if this is a newb question I'm new around here. Thanks

It made the exhaust perfect for me! It still has a rumble and it is way louder than the stock pipe. The pads just took the bark away.

Last night I put a few pads in each can. Tried it out for a bit, and it was still a bit too loud for me. So I added a couple more in each can. It's pretty much exactly where I like it. Just like you said, it has a nice, much-louder-than-stock rumble, but has that tin-can wailing above 7K significantly mellowed. This was a really good idea, and one that I'd recommend to anyone with a gutted exhaust who wants to "tune" their sound a bit.

• 2 months later...

can you post a picture of this? If i'm reading correctly, you just took those pads and literally shoved them through your tailpipes in the exhaust? How many did you put in? Can you see them? It seems like they would fly out!

Last night I put a few pads in each can. Tried it out for a bit, and it was still a bit too loud for me. So I added a couple more in each can. It's pretty much exactly where I like it. Just like you said, it has a nice, much-louder-than-stock rumble, but has that tin-can wailing above 7K significantly mellowed. This was a really good idea, and one that I'd recommend to anyone with a gutted exhaust who wants to "tune" their sound a bit.

UM, hello is anyone thinking? The steel wool pads are not held in by anything and will break down and be shot out of the pipe. Anyone who has had packing break down knows what I am talking about. I guess it's ok just remind me not to get behind you.

• Member Contributer
you just took those pads and literally shoved them through your tailpipes in the exhaust? How many did you put in? Can you see them? It seems like they would fly out!

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I want to know the answers.... <_<

AND this is the one time when pictures are completely unnecessary :warranty: :pissed: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

UM, hello is anyone thinking? The steel wool pads are not held in by anything and will break down and be shot out of the pipe. Anyone who has had packing break down knows what I am talking about. I guess it's ok just remind me not to get behind you.

you just took those pads and literally shoved them through your tailpipes in the exhaust? How many did you put in? Can you see them? It seems like they would fly out!

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I want to know the answers.... <_<

AND this is the one time when pictures are completely unnecessary :warranty: :pissed: :goofy:

This is why I didn't bother. It will get deeper sounding, with time. (As your cat breaks down, and blows out).

• Member Contributer

:goofy: Well, maybe next time, you won't do a silly irreversible mod you have been warned would have a noticeable, somewhat embarassing downside. (Only took me once, anyway!)

Ciao,

i have another solution that i just love the sound of.

i took my gutting a bit further as i used a hole saw on the top exhaust hole and increased it too 2"id X 8" long exhaust pipe.

a drawing for referance: exhaust.jpg

it no longer has the tinny sound and has been replaced with a thraughty howl.

i compared the sound next to another friends gutted pipes on his 6th gen and he said it sounds a whole octive lower tone wise while still being a bit louder.

imo its what a vfr1000 should sound like if honda ever built us one as a 7th gen,he also stated it made the bike sound like it had a bigger engine also.

i can get pics anytime,but it looks stock so i dont see the need but when i do get a video clip with sound ill post it up and also get a pic of the end with the cap off.

this mod cost me $30 to buy the pipe and have my neighbor weld it up.

ive heard many aftermarket VFR exhausts but this is the best sounding ive heard so far,and if i had more chance to tune it before welding it up i would have went with a 5-6" pipe instead of 8" so it would be a bit louder.

its not much louder than the stock gutted ones BR but if it is its a more pleasing sound.

• Member Contributer

The steel "scrubber" pads that I used were about the size of a donut and actually shaped like a donut. I cut them in half and elongated them to basically make a tube. Then I stuffed them in the pipe using a blunt screwdriver while applying a twist. Those suckers are not coming out. In fact, it takes some doing to remove one if you think you have gone too far and quieted the pipe up too much.

They may break down in time, but at a whopping dime a pad, I don't mind repacking every once in awhile. I seriously doubt you would be getting any debris by riding behind the bike.

Archived