6th Gen Stebel Nautilus Location Found?

vanion2

Question

• Member Contributer

Yes, I know there is extensive posts on this subject but here is the reason for this post. I got my Stebel in and promptly spent the last hour and a half removing all the farings and trying to find a location that was protective of the horn from the elements, no where near any moving parts (primarily steering and suspension components), minimal interference with maintenance (easily removable and out of the way), and as invisible as possible. I couldn't use KanadianKen's method because I do too much 2 up riding and need a full range of motion on the suspension. I was just about to give up and put the horn in the cage when I figured I would try one more spot. Here is what I came up with:gallery_9864_2412_163733.jpg

Right Faring.JPG

gallery_9864_2412_294650.jpg

Stebel Horn.JPG

I did have to remove the bolt that holds the faring in place on the end and the fairing is pushed out a little, BUT the horn fits almost perfectly on the faring bracket there and all I need to do is get a slightly longer bolt to replace the stock one and it is mounted perfectly. No plastic parts are touching the motor casing and I even have the horns facing out for maximum effect. I have not hooked it up to test it out yet simply because I want to ride the bike in hot conditions and then pull the horn to be absolutely sure before locking everything in place.

It may not be the perfect solution but it is the best one I have been able to find. If anyone has a better idea I am willing to consider. Failing that, perhaps I won't be the only 6th Gen VFR out there blasting people with my right knee. :pissed:

19 answers to this question

Not bad!

My temp spot... (attached to rear hole of footpeg bracket)

gallery_8015_2963_683917.jpg

DSCF0003_edited.JPG

Note left side.

gallery_8015_2891_700451.jpg

Flap Fix002_edited.JPG

Since my model doesn't have an evaporator canister, I may locate it there, as some others have done.

At the lower front of the engine, where this type of slider kit gets installed. Kind of where #7 or 13 would go through.

gallery_8015_2865_724430.jpg

Picture.jpg

Just looked again at your picture and I see the terminals on top... doesn't that make the horn ports upside down? It's been mentioned that this can alow water to collect inside instead of drain, and will toast your compressor... I read it somewhere.

• Member Contributer
Just looked again at your picture and I see the terminals on top... doesn't that make the horn ports upside down? It's been mentioned that this can alow water to collect inside instead of drain, and will toast your compressor... I read it somewhere.

Yes it does, but the horn is also out of the elements so I consider this a feasible risk. I considered putting it where the Evap cannister used to be but if the temperatures are too high to powder coat headers with any lasting results I would think it would be hot enough to melt the plastic being in such close proximity.

On a 6th Gen (non ABS) the standard location seems to be behind the left side of the nose fairing.

Do you have an ABS bike?

Yes I do...the only time I wish I didn't. sad.gif

• Member Contributer
Doesn't the horn have to be vertical?

Lee 2002 has it mounted as the instructions describe...the horns are faced down to allow for drainage.

On a 6th Gen (non ABS) the standard location seems to be behind the left side of the nose fairing.

Do you have an ABS bike?

Yes I do...the only time I wish I didn't. sad.gif

Hmmmm, I figured that was the case. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

I have yet to see a clean mounting on a 6th ABS... You might be on the right track there, just get her rotated around.

• Member Contributer

I'm not too familiar with where the ABS parts are on a VFR (I own a non-ABS), but I have an idea or two for placement (which may or may not be completely useless):

Lee 2002 posted pictures of his setup in the nose. I can also shoehorn it ABOVE the radiator, and below the rear subframe in the pocket behind the battery (accessable if you remove the rear brake resevior, and gently push it in there.)

For my install, I'm making a bracket and installing in left front fairing above the rad and between the inner / outer fairing parts.

Like I said, I have no idea how much room the ABS crap takes up, so perhaps these are all areas adorned with braking jewelry. Thought I would post anyway, in case one of these spots can work on an ABS......

Just tried blasting the horn by using some jumpers and touching to the batt posts. Man! That is LOUD!

Sorry for a quick thread jack, but how'd you wire the relay? My horn had no instructions with it.

• Member Contributer

The ABS stuff takes up all the space you mentioned in the left front nose up to the radiator. I may examine the under tray to see how it would fit since that is one place I didn't look at. Depends on if I can get the horn turned around where I have it now. :thumbsup:

For the relay...

Wire your 20 amp fused battery line to terminal 30.

Ground to terminal 85.

Horn (+) to terminal 87.

12V horn signal to terminal 86.

Horn (-) to ground.

• Member Contributer

I checked Q-Dawg's suggestion near the rear brake resevior and it was a no go so I turned the Stebel around to face the way it should be and the results are:

gallery_9864_2412_601783.jpg

Stebel Horn.JPG

gallery_9864_2412_359726.jpg

Stebel Horn.JPG

This does move the faring out slightly more than my original configuration due to the compressor. Still, you can see that if I get a longer bolt I can probably make this gap less noticeable. At the end of the day the horn is out of sight and protected from all but the area where the rider sits. You still can easily access the engine idle adjust and if I can find the foam insert they put on the farings in various places I can ensure no notching of the faring from the inside. I have driven around with the horn in there for 2 days now and the compressor gets hot from the proximity of the engine but no plastic parts are melting on me yet. I may be able to make the gap a little smaller if I shave off the bracket mount on the horn but I need to make a closer examination of the horn before I can say that with certainty.

• Member Contributer

Bummer about the rear brake resivoir location.

Was hoping I was on to something that could help the ABS folks.

Just so you know, it was a VERY tight sqeeze to get in there, (I had to temporarily remove the resivoir braket to even try), and it still required a few jiggles, pokes and prods.

• Member Contributer
Bummer about the rear brake resivoir location.

Was hoping I was on to something that could help the ABS folks.

Just so you know, it was a VERY tight sqeeze to get in there, (I had to temporarily remove the resivoir braket to even try), and it still required a few jiggles, pokes and prods.

It was worth the try because we learned something new. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I would like to add a Stebel horn on my 6th gen, seems like room is very hard to find for the Nautilus style. 2 questions-#1 Who has a great working system completed with the Nautilus? and #2 Just to make things simpler (maybe not as loud, package says 138 db though) has anyone tried this other Stebel in my pic? I think I could settle with a louder unit that fits in place of oem, options? I like bolt on and go, not into a major project, just much louder than puny oem bird chirper horn.

stebel.jpg

I used the stock mounting point with the little piece of flat steel Stiebel includes with the horn. I know there's some concern with hitting it under full compression, but mine's been there for over a year with no problems. I may not ride over as rough of roads as some of you, but with speed bumps and rail crossings I think I hit most of the typical obstacles. My license plate sees more of my rear tire than my horn has of my front.

I would like to add a Stebel horn on my 6th gen, seems like room is very hard to find for the Nautilus style. 2 questions-#1 Who has a great working system completed with the Nautilus? and #2 Just to make things simpler (maybe not as loud, package says 138 db though) has anyone tried this other Stebel in my pic? I think I could settle with a louder unit that fits in place of oem, options? I like bolt on and go, not into a major project, just much louder than puny oem bird chirper horn.

stebel.jpg

Posted this thread way back in September and haven't had ANY problems at all! :thumbsup:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...tongue.gif=430125

I chose this spot because my '05 does have ABS, so the left side of the cowling is not an option.

Hope this helps,

Greg

• Member Contributer

I got a no-name Stebel $25 on ebay, like a wojo, etc I think these stebels are made under different names/same product ?

I will go with the left upper fairing install as pics above (since I have no ABS) , I would like to buy the custom bracket from vfrd member so will PM on it, also a must see is SW MOTECHs 2008 catalog, brackets/harness wiring for stebel horns plus ground blocks/fuse blocks for add on accessories, much stuff in the new catalog 2008 for vfr rider set ups.

• Member Contributer
I used the stock mounting point with the little piece of flat steel Stiebel includes with the horn. I know there's some concern with hitting it under full compression, but mine's been there for over a year with no problems. I may not ride over as rough of roads as some of you, but with speed bumps and rail crossings I think I hit most of the typical obstacles. My license plate sees more of my rear tire than my horn has of my front.

+1.gif Stock mounting location worked great for me. I did glue some screen to the horn outlet to keep debri out.

• Member Contributer

Do you have an ABS bike?

Yes I do...the only time I wish I didn't. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Hmmmm, I figured that was the case. Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

I have yet to see a clean mounting on a 6th ABS... You might be on the right track there, just get her rotated around.

My 2003 ABS has a Stebel Nautilus on the stock horn bolt. Easy peasy.

• Member Contributer

I have one of those mounted under the starter motor, at an angle with the horns facing down & forward. Best position for sound direction & coverage. The plastic centre section keeps most of the road debris off it. Shares ground with the starter motor, so only one wire to run from the relay which lives inside fairing under left handlebar, where the standard horn wires are rerouted to.

Archived