Sidi Boots Not Meant For Walking

radar

• Member Contributer

Bike died on me tonight, leaving me to walk several miles home with my Sidi B2's squeeking the entire way home, it was like they were trying to tell me that they realling don't like walking.

Anyway my trouble's started on Monday when the turn signal fuse went, thought it was kind of strange but I changed it out and it seemed fine, went for another ride and it popped again...houston we have a problem, so with the nieghbors help I pulled apart the signal control switch and cleaned it out and then replaced the fuse again, tried it out and everything seemed fine.

Now tonight went for another ride, was 20 min into the ride and pop goes the signal again...so I started toward home so I could start looking for the problem as it is now very apparent that it's more than just a dirty switch, then the bike dies outright, I am fairly certain the battery has gone dead as I now have it on the charger at this point and will try starting the bike in the morning.

Now I know that I will have a series of tests to do as described on several of the topics involving the battery,RR and stator, but has anyone heard of fuses poping as a result of battery and or charging problems ?

I'd start looking for a short to earth in the wiring for the turn signal circuit if I were you. Perhaps the wires have been subject to squishing or abrasion somewhere along their path? Obvious places are around the steering head, where the tank and seat mount to the frame, etc.

Yes, faults in the charging system could result in fuses blowing (if the R/R is allowing too much current into the system, but it wouldn't target just the turn signals, so I think it's an unlikely culprit.

Oh - and your Sidi's are thirsty: give them a drink of WD40 or somesuch (don't waste beer on them). :salesman:

• Member Contributer
Oh - and your Sidi's are thirsty: give them a drink of WD40 or somesuch (don't waste beer on them). :salesman:

I'd never dream of waisting my Sleemans on a boot, but they going to get some lube of some sort...I'll be doing some serious ripping apart of wiring tomorrow night, I hope that it is a reasonably obvious short...crossing fingers

• Member Contributer

Boy I need help, I am running out of ideas!

So far I have taken every connection related to the signal system apart and have cleaned it, and every time I think I have solved the problem the same thing happens, this afternoon I did find a poor connection at one of the front bulbs and a cleaned and repaired it, I ran the bike for over 20 mins trying to pop the fuse turning signals on and off...everything worked, get on the bike to go for quick run and the fuse pops at the first corner.

I have repeated this three times, every time I think I have it licked, run it in gargage and it's okay, then hop on bike for run and it pops the first corner.

Suggestions Please!

PS... my R/R is good and I put in new battery

Don't forget to left gearswitch. Maybe it dirty in there or something?

Does the fuse pop on when you only use the left signal or right signal? Don't forget, your brake lights also run though that fuse too. Maybe one of the wires in the back has frayed or something.

• Member Contributer
Don't forget to left gearswitch. Maybe it dirty in there or something?

Does the fuse pop on when you only use the left signal or right signal? Don't forget, your brake lights also run though that fuse too. Maybe one of the wires in the back has frayed or something.

Never thought of the gear switch, I didn't think that was connected, I will go check that...and it has poped the fuse turning both ways

sorry to hear of your sit'n bud - good luck getting it sorted out.

Put DOWN the Sleemans until AFTER you figure out the glitch!!!! smile.gif

• Member Contributer
sorry to hear of your sit'n bud - good luck getting it sorted out.

Put DOWN the Sleemans until AFTER you figure out the glitch!!!! smile.gif

Oh man this is getting old, and I have put away the Sleemans until this is figured out.

But I am little wiser...Darth thanks for a nudge in the right direction, you had mentioned the brake light as well as in gear control, and when I went to check the gear control I realized that I had not put the amp meter to the brake light, only the turn signal, and wouldn't you know it, brake light is sucking up 18 amps, bingo we have a winner.

So I isolated the pedal switch to make sure it wasn't defective by disconnecting it then jumping the connector, still 18 amps being used in the system. I then changed out the rear bulbs to make sure they wheren't defective, still 18 amps. So my questions is this, what can cause this much draw within the brake light system, I can't see anything out of place, do I have to unwrap all the wiring?

Do you have a Brake Light modulator installed? maybe try disconnection 1 bulb at a time(no juice when not connected) to see the draw.

• Member Contributer
Do you have a Brake Light modulator installed? maybe try disconnection 1 bulb at a time(no juice when not connected) to see the draw.

Don't have a modulator, and I just went and quickly checked one bulb at a time, still 18 amp draw

I would suggest getting the wiring diagram, and checking a section at a time until you narrow it down to the culprit. Could be a bad ground somewhere causing it.

• Member Contributer

8 fuses later I found it, front break lever light activator switch pushed into clip-on shorting the system out...it's sleeman time!

Wow......I got frustrated just reading your frustrations....now ssssay that three times really fast. I hate electronics.......always a PITA and something simple. Glad you figured it out w/o using the stealerships!

• Member Contributer
Wow......I got frustrated just reading your frustrations....now ssssay that three times really fast. I hate electronics.......always a PITA and something simple. Glad you figured it out w/o using the stealerships!

I have learned this, don't be scared to ask questions, dont' be scared to attempt to fix your own problems, be patient and be patient and yeah aah be patient and think things through, it is possible to fix your bike...If I gave my bike to the stealerships to fix all my problems this spring I wouldn't be able to afford to ride...thanks people for being here

• Member Contributer
8 fuses later I found it, front break lever light activator switch pushed into clip-on shorting the system out...it's sleeman time!

Good job radar, concratulations and cudos for hanging in there with it. Oh, about the boots, my sidi's do the same thing, I took some carnuba wax and rubbed it at the back were the noise is coming from. worked for almost a year before I had to do it again. Take care.

• Member Contributer

You overtorqued your frame protectors? :goofy: :huh:

:P

Archived