I Know This Has Been Asked Before...

Guest pollu_sean

Question

Guest pollu_sean

After taking my 94 vfr out on the track last week for it's first track day it has become readily apparent that i need to do something about the tired old suspension on her.

ideally would like to get something cool from my local salvage yard to replace the rear shock. i know some of you guys put, what, 929 rears on the 5th gen. what about the 4th gen? anyone else have any luck with other makes and models of shock?

I may have the option to put a VTR front on my bike...any one have any idea if that will fit? i know the fork tube are the same diameter...can i just slide the vtr fork tubes into my triple tree? it would be really nice to be able to run the 4 pot calipers that are on the VTR. i have no idea if the VTRs springs will hold the weight of the VFR though...probably not.

any help would be great.

pollu_sean

17 answers to this question

i know some of you guys put, what, 929 rears on the 5th gen. what about the 4th gen? anyone else have any luck with other makes and models of shock?

929 shock goes into 4th Gen (but the 954 shock does not, the reservoir is mounted differently, while it *can* be fitted there are clearance issues).

Pre-929 Fireblade shocks may also work, an aftermarket CBR900 shock that has ride height adjustment should work in a 4th Gen with ride height topped out (gets it to the same overall length as the OEM shock).

I may have the option to put a VTR front on my bike...any one have any idea if that will fit? i know the fork tube are the same diameter...can i just slide the vtr fork tubes into my triple tree? it would be really nice to be able to run the 4 pot calipers that are on the VTR. i have no idea if the VTRs springs will hold the weight of the VFR though...probably not.

VTR forks do slide straight into VFR tripleclamps, overall length works out well. If you're over 80kg you may need to u/g the springs.

Go to JZH's V-Source pages for more on VTR forks to VFR.

Guest pollu_sean

thanks for the reply...

looks like, with all the mods to the rear end to accept another model's shock, it might be better to find someone to simply rebuild the shock for me. i rather not spend a fortune, so I guess my options are pretty limited. i wish there was something that would swap right in without a custom spacer or spring replacement.

maybe the best way to go is the racetech springs in the front and a refurb on the rear. i am pretty heavy, so if i do get a hold of those VTR shocks I woud still have to change the springs...

i just called racetech and it is gonna be 300 just for a refurb, assuming nothing needs to be replaced...yikes

Only thing I don't like about the CBR shock transplant is, the eye to eye dimensions on them are shorter than on the VFR shock, making it neccessary to cobble/weld up up a shock eye extension to make it work. Which is not an available option for everyone and has potential of failure if not done right.

Isn't there a late model bike out there with better quality (multi adjustable) rear shock that shares the same eye to eye measurement as the VFR and would mount on "Plug and Play"????

Beck

95 VFR

looks like, with all the mods to the rear end to accept another model's shock, it might be better to find someone to simply rebuild the shock for me.

Making up the extension to mount the 929 shock should work out a heap cheaper than rebuilding the VFR shock; even allowing for the purchase of the 929 shock in the first place. Beck's spot on about the necessity of doing it right. Paying someone knowledgable to fabricate it is money well spent.

A rebuilt OEM shock will still be lacking compared to an aftermarket shock. A low mileage 929 shock probably falls somewhere in between (more efficient valving, finer tolerances, good stamina in performance use).

Here in Oz, the recent going rate for a used Ohlins has been between $550 and 800 (sure on the former, educated guess on the latter) which is starting off at around half the cost of an OEM rebuild, but giving twice the performance. All shocks need to be rebuilt at intervals so that cost is a factor regardless of what shock is chosen, but a used aftermarket shock that has had good maintenance is always going to be leap years ahead of the most fastidiously rebuilt OEM jobbie.

I say that having gone down the 'rebuilt OEM then got aftermarket' road (and buying a 929 shock along the way!)

Woohoo! More suspension questions...

I bought what I think is a CBR 600F4 shock for my 2004 VFR back in 2005. It doesn't look like the 929 shock, it has a reservoir attached to it on a hydraulic line. Can I use that for my 4th gen or do I have to use a 929 shock? Also, even if I *can* use the CBR600 shock, would it be easier to install a 929 shock?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
Isn't there a late model bike out there with better quality (multi adjustable) rear shock that shares the same eye to eye measurement as the VFR and would mount on "Plug and Play"????

Bite the bullet and get something good:

gallery_611_2920_134823.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

Re-sell is excellent so the cost of ownership is about the same or maybe even better than buying something used that's not valved or sprung for the 4gen or you. If you account for those costs, you'll probaby end up spending more money in the end. BTDT

The 929 shock is a decent mod over a worn out stocker for those who don't mind making up a mount.

Bite the bullet and get something good:

gallery_611_2920_134823.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

Re-sell is excellent so the cost of ownership is about the same or maybe even better than buying something used that's not valved or sprung for the 4gen or you. If you account for those costs, you'll probaby end up spending more money in the end. BTDT

The 929 shock is a decent mod over a worn out stocker for those who don't mind making up a mount.

That would be nice, but I've already got about $1000 budgeted for the bike I just bought, including new riding gear. I'm not able to do a $1000 shock right now.

So about my question... Anyone know? =)

thanks for the reply...

maybe the best way to go is the racetech springs in the front and a refurb on the rear.

Check out this thread on springs http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...=30860&st=0

i am pretty heavy, so if i do get a hold of those VTR shocks I woud still have to change the springs...

Yes!

i just called racetech and it is gonna be 300 just for a refurb, assuming nothing needs to be replaced...yikes

I would reccomend that you just replace the springs and fork oil to start, unless you have lots of cash and son't forget the upgrage the rear spring too no matter what shock you end up using!

:thumbsup:

I probably should have just started a new thread. I'm not the original poster. You guys are replying to comments from 2007.

My question is:

I bought what I think is a CBR 600F4 shock for my 2004 VFR back in 2005. It doesn't look like the 929 shock, it has a reservoir attached to it on a hydraulic line. Can I use that for my 4th gen or do I have to use a 929 shock? Also, even if I *can* use the CBR600 shock, would it be easier to install a 929 shock?

• Member Contributer
I probably should have just started a new thread. I'm not the original poster. You guys are replying to comments from 2007.

My question is:

Yes, you should have as I haven't tried an f4i shock on a 4gen and wouldn't have felt the need to reply. :idea3: Oh, aftermarket shocks start around $600 without bells and whistles.

I haven't seen anyone put a CBR600 shock into a 4th gen. Why not take your shock off and just see if the 600 shock fits?

Opus,

I can't imagine you'd have any problems using the F4 shock. The only thing I can think of that might be a issue is where to mount the remote reservoir and routing the line to it. The shock will most likely be undersprung, so you'll want to put a stiffer spring on it.

The 929 shock is nice because it's already sprung with the spring rate as the stock VFR. And it has a piggyback reservoir so there's no need to find a place to put a reservoir.

Between the two, I'd go with the 929 shock because of ease of install and the higher spring rate.

Opus,

I can't imagine you'd have any problems using the F4 shock. The only thing I can think of that might be a issue is where to mount the remote reservoir and routing the line to it. The shock will most likely be undersprung, so you'll want to put a stiffer spring on it.

The 929 shock is nice because it's already sprung with the spring rate as the stock VFR. And it has a piggyback reservoir so there's no need to find a place to put a reservoir.

Between the two, I'd go with the 929 shock because of ease of install and the higher spring rate.

As the portly penguin is currently around 290 right now, the stock spring rate does nothing for me except drag my tail. hehe. I'm on my way down, though, so I'll probably get a spring rate for a 240 lb. dude and then use that as incentive. I already bought a leather jacket (elbow-hole-proof) that's a little snug and am putting it on daily for incentive to lose weight. =)

I'm gonna get a 929 off ebay and get a stiffer spring put on. I also plan on upgrading the springs on the forks, but probably not revalving it right now.

• Member Contributer

Not sure why someone would want to put on a fork (VTR1000F) not known for being that great in the first place, but you do get better brakes (although these just slow you down).

Once I find a 4th gen again, I am going to put in either a Wilbers/Penske rear shock or a CBR900/929 Ohlins unit. Hyperpro (http://www.hyperpro.com/products/shock030.asp?ShockID=292) also makes some nice stuff. Easier if you have the $$$ to get the new stuff, but possible to find good used aftermarket if you have a year to look.

For under $30 plus a spacer, the 929/954 option is the cheapest way to replace a sacked out shock. Buy two or three and you'll be good for the next ten years. Add an overhaul of the front end with fresh fluids, perhaps different springs and you should be good to go.

My Ohlins stuff is great, but way beyond the limits of how I ride my bike. If I wanted to go faster I would get a smaller and lighter bike and go to the track.

I put a 929 rear shock on my 94 a year ago. Including shock purchase I have less than $50 into the whole mod. Took me a few days to do because i had to move the rear coils out of the way and a couple other things but I could do it again in less than a day. Was it worth it? Definitely. The 929 shock is about two inches shorter and two pounds lighter, which i imagine is somewhat offset by adding the mount spacer in.

Just a little update. I replaced my front springs with 1.1's and now have 35mm sag. I replaced the rear shock with a 929 unit that kept the stock spring, but it was shimmed to add preload. With the shim plus maxing out the preload, I have 35mm sag. As I continue to lose weight I'll back off the preload ring.

And I also had to relocate the rear coils. Ended up zip-tying them to the frame for now. Ghetto, but it worked. I hadn't read that anywhere so it was kind of a shock to me. Oh well, worked out in the end.

Thanks for everyone's input and help! :fing02:

And I also had to relocate the rear coils. Ended up zip-tying them to the frame for now. Ghetto, but it worked. I hadn't read that anywhere so it was kind of a shock to me. Oh well, worked out in the end.

Thanks for everyone's input and help! :fing02:

This is the part of the mod that took the longest for me to figure out. I ended up taking the coils off the mount bracket, and moving the #3 to where the #4 was, using two spacers to move it away from the bracket. The #4 coil I mounted to the rear subframe; horizontally between the battery and the subframe rail. It will have to be mounted lower than the frame rail in order for the coil to clear the rail. I used some aluminum straps I made from aluminum stock I got at Home Depot. I bought stock that was 1-in wide by 1/8-in thick, length to be determined by how long you want. I made mine about two inches long. The rear plastics will clear the coil; just make sure you mount it far enough forward so the coil wires reach.

Archived