Wow - What To Get? Tire Wear Tread Bars.....

Guest Topeka 800

Guest Topeka 800

Well guys, I am sure some of you seen my post last night about how I was so stoked to hit the 30k mile mark, well today I noticed the wear tread bars appeared and later developed a leak so I certainly need a new set of rubbers. I have no idea what to get so any input is greatly appreciated (Thanks in Advance). It is a 2004 non-abs with stock suspension. I will be running these on the street in dry & occasional rain and I often run into the twisties and backroads to have some fun so I definately want a tire that I will be confident just tipping the bike into corners and turns & sweepers,etc. I have heard quite a bit about the Pilot Power 2ct's < I think. Some dunlop tires as well but other than that, I have no idea which way to go. I definately want to stick with 180 in the rear and probably the same as stock in the front. Advice is needed here now guys b/c I am currently running on Fix a flat, does anyone know how long that will last me (hopefully by the time to get my new tires mounted) would like to order a set tomorrow if possible. Here is what I ran into today:

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTire00.jpg

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTir-1.jpg

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTir-3.jpg

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTir-4.jpg

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTir-5.jpg

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTir-6.jpg

Rear180TireWearTreadBars-FlatTir-2.jpg

FUN STUFF THERE^^^^

Oh & BTW my rear cowl came in today and I put it on 2 mins later after UPS dropped it off, I won it on ebay for a total of 46 bucks! After looking at it when I was taking pics, I think the red color of the cowl vs. the red of the rest of the bike are two different colors. What do you all think?

GOODNIGHT! :goofy:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beware .....you are about to get bombarded by everyone suggesting what their favorite tire is. :goofy:

When you mention long lasting as a big priority, that changes things. It will be hard to beat a set of Pilot Road tires for a long lasting but decent gripping tire, and performs great in the wet.

Now for the rest of the gang here, I''m sure that they will have a different tire in mind :goofy:

Without being there, the cowl color looks really close in the pictures you posted

• Member Contributer

WOW! Got Balls, I'll say that!

• Member Contributer

Holy crap, those are not the wear bars, those are the belts. Your tire carcass is about the thickness of a blown up balloon. Your leak is probably because there is a spot on the tire that has completely worn through.

DO NOT RIDE ON THE TIRE ANY MORE

Buy some Pilot Power (I would recommend regular Powers over 2CTs for the mileage difference). When you get the tires changed, have them bring out your old rear tire so you can have a look at it. You will be able to press your finger through what is left of your tire and see light through it.

• Member Contributer

Strata's or Corsa III. He!!, you'll get 10,000 miles, from them. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

For future reference,....Don't post pics like that, again. You, sir,....are about to get hammered. LOL.

Hobie - How long with the Pilot Roads last me and how much will they run?

Rivcyko - Thats my only mode of transportation for now! DAMNIT! Should have ordered some tires 2 weeks ago, well I guess I need to pick ASAP, will certainly be ordering a set tomorrow!

Pilot powers - How long will those last me?

2ct's - How long will those last?

Strata's or Corsa 3's - Those both sound good if they last 10k miles but how well do they grip in the turns and what about when its wet out?

Let me know guys thanks..

Thanks for the quick responses!

• Member Contributer

Corsa III's. Dual compound. Perfect for commuting. Got 6,000, from the strata's. (Would have had more, if I rode the edge more). I, too supplement, with my bike. Got 600ish, on the corsa's, and the tits, are still on them. Tight as all heck, too!

I got 3,000 or 3,500 from a rear Pilot Power, and a little more on the front.

Better than the 2,000 I was getting for a D208 rear. :thumbsup:

And your tire? That things a crash and burn waiting to happen. You're lucky to have made it home OK on that thing.

Now go forth and replace the tires, and sin no more. Because that's a crime right there. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

No telling how long a tire will last you, it depends on how you use the throttle and brakes, temperatures, inflation, road surfaces, weight, etc.

I would not expect any tire to last anywhere near 10k miles. Roads are the longest lasting tires I have ever used, I would get about 6k miles out of them and hated every mile. Pilot Powers I get 2200 or so from a rear, Power 2CT I get 1800 miles.

And don’t ride on that tire any more, it is GOING TO FAIL VERY SOON, like probably within a hundred miles.

• Member Contributer

I say, I hope you realize, that when I say 10,000, I'm speaking of Topeka's usage. LOL.

:goofy:

T., You are literally, lucky to be alive.

Not that it should be repeated but I would NOT RECOMMEND RIDING ANYMORE MILES ON THOSE CURRENT TIRES!!!! IHMO: For All weather, performance, traction: Diablo Stradas or Avon Storm ST

For riding the gap and all points between with tread wear comprised: Pilot Powers! Or Diablo Corsas!

My buddy rode with Storm ST's on the gap and said they were awesome.......and he was "railing" with the best up there (much better than I).....he highly recommends them!

Here is a link to tire prices http://www.tireexpress.com/category.cfm?Category=1424

Pilot Roads are 254.99 a set.

10k miles is NOT uncommon to get out of these tires for everyday riding.....OK folks I said everyday riding....NOT LIKE JEREMY RIDES :goofy: (which is like Valentino Rossi for those who don't know him)

They are not nearly as sticky as Pilot Powers, but I do ride on the occasion twisties, and have not had them slip on me yet(but I'm just an old fart who tries to avoid massive pain at all costs) :goofy:

• Member Contributer
NOT LIKE JEREMY RIDES :goofy: (which is like Valentino Rossi...

...If he got amnesia and forgot how to go fast.

Just buy some tires, any tires, even a damn Shinko, just don't ride on that rear tire any more. Your next post is going to be an "I Crashed" post if you keep riding on that tire.

Guest 767fixer
and later developed a leak so I certainly need a new set of rubbers.

my rubbers developed a slow leak also. 3 kids later you would have figured i too would have bought a new set

• Member Contributer

my rubbers developed a slow leak also. 3 kids later you would have figured i too would have bought a new set

I forgot to tell you, you are not supposed to re-use them, use a new one every time.

Guest 767fixer

I forgot to tell you, you are not supposed to re-use them, use a new one every time.

yea...now you tell me. i figured id try that online site where they retread them. didnt work, so dont believe everything you hear. soon I'll think there are black helicopters watching me

Go with Pilot Roads. I'm on my second set and love 'em as a street tire. If you exceed their level of grip, then buy Pilot Powers and find a track to ride on. :goofy: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Make sure you warn the guy that's going to change your tires. They tend to get pretty irritable when they have fixaflat sprayed all over them and the tire mounter.

1. You're officially grounded!

2. I like Metzeler Roadtec Z6 ... Got 9700 miles out of the last REAR tire (!) however, when it was done, it looked a lot like your pics...with (ashamed to admit) cords showing. You have to be careful with these as there are no groves along the tire center so wear can sneak up on you.

Have fun, ride safe!

• Member Contributer
I like Metzeler Roadtec Z6 ... Got 9700 miles out of the last REAR tire ... when it was done, with cords showing

Jebus, I thought my 3mm tread depth was tempting fate, but I can see that I've got LOOOOTS of spare tread to go, based on how long you two guys have been alive!!!

FWIW I had Metzler "footwear" on my 1994 and loved 'em. Decent grip and decent tread life.

Go drink a beer and think about it all...

Archived