Stranded 1350 Miles From Home W/ Bad Stator

Bad Boy

Left Seattle Friday 8/25 on 3600 mile 9 day trip with group of 7. Monday rode into Salt Lake City the volt meter on the radar detector was at 11v rather than 13v. 30 amp fuse showed signs of heat discoloration but not melted. I cleaned fuse and rode to local dealer Honda of Salt Lake . Bike would not turn over after I got to the dealer. The mechanic said the stator was bad and they ordered a new one for next day so I can get back on the road and catch up with the group in Colorado tomorrow night.

The dealer just called back and said they had been in contact with Honda and the stator is back ordered and none exist in the USA for a month.

I am freaking out about now. I can't even ride my bike home. Does anyone know how I could get my greasy hands on a stator for a 2002 VFR quick?

Additional information

2002 VFR non ABS, 44,000 trouble free miles.

Stator was replaced in 2003 for Honda Service Bulletin.

Accessories:

Heated jacket (not used on this trip) wired to battery ( added 10/2005)

Radar detector wired to tail light (added 2005)

Comangination modulating headlight (added 1/2007) used occationally, not in last two days.

I thought Honda had a search feature on thier parts computer where they can search dealer inventory for "In stock" items.

Ask them, they may have not thought of this feature. You may have to pay a premium for the part, but it's better than the alternative.

Left Seattle Friday 8/25 on 3600 mile 9 day trip with group of 7. Monday rode into Salt Lake City the volt meter on the radar detector was at 11v rather than 13v. 30 amp fuse showed signs of heat discoloration but not melted. I cleaned fuse and rode to local dealer Honda of Salt Lake . Bike would not turn over after I got to the dealer. The mechanic said the stator was bad and they ordered a new one for next day so I can get back on the road and catch up with the group in Colorado tomorrow night.

The dealer just called back and said they had been in contact with Honda and the stator is back ordered and none exist in the USA for a month.

I am freaking out about now. I can't even ride my bike home. Does anyone know how I could get my greasy hands on a stator for a 2002 VFR quick?

Additional information

2002 VFR non ABS, 44,000 trouble free miles.

Stator was replaced in 2003 for Honda Service Bulletin.

Accessories:

Heated jacket (not used on this trip) wired to battery ( added 10/2005)

Radar detector wired to tail light (added 2005)

Comangination modulating headlight (added 1/2007) used occationally, not in last two days.

You can also call the dealer and have them upgrade the part to critical backorder status, which puts a rush on getting the part available. You might try your luck talking the dealership in robbing a unit that hasn't been setup yet for the part. We have done it before, it's not the best thing to do from an inventory control standpoint, but it might work to get you back on the road.

I don't have any solutions, but just thought I'd add that I had this same problem with my '06. The fuse was fine...the stator just burned up somehow. The dealer attributed it to a lose battery cable...not sure about that one.

They weren't backordered then...but then again, this was in between riding seasons. Sorry for your woes...best of luck, though. Did you try giving servicehonda a call? A long shot maybe if it's really "out of stock" nationwide....but I find that hard to believe.

You could also try looking for the part from cycle salvage yards. They usually network with each other to find you the part and hopefully get it to where you are.

Not minty fresh the part would be, but it might just get you through your trip and back home.

P.S. I heard that VFR's do not like to ride back home on the back of trucks!

Beck

95 VFR

I would think someone here would have one laying around, I almost bought the last new lit I saw on ebay just to have one laying around. If your really hard up I will pull one off my parts bike and ship it to you, it will cost you some though!

keep us informed!

• Member Contributer

I have one sitting in my spare parts bin. Let me go take a look at what I have...

OK, I have a used stator, one issue is it does not have the plug on it, you will have to cut off your factory plug and solder the connection between the stator and the R/R (3 wires). I also have a gasket, screws, and flywheel. I doubt you need that, but I have it in case you do. This was the upgrade "kit" for the recall.

The stator works just fine, I had replaced it thinking it might be a cause of an electrical problem I had, but that turned out to be the voltage drop on the monitor wire to the R/R.

• Member Contributer
I realize this is a very dumb question but what exactly is the stator and where is it on my 2006 VFR?

Thank you,

The 'not too mechanical' Colonel

Stator is what generates electricity, basically an electric motor being driven by the crankshaft. It sends A/C current to the R/R which converts it to 12v DC. It is located under the alternator cover which is the large black engine case on the left side of your bike opposite the timing hole cover for the crankshaft on the right side.

They still have not totaled my bike.... so technically, it still belongs to me (2006 model.) I can go down to the yard where it's stored right now and pull mine if you need it. I have to call ahead and clear it, but the guy who owns the place and I have become friends... so it should not be an issue. Jeremy, what am I looking for if I need to pull this for him?

Maybe Rick's Motorsport electronics, discussed in this topic, has one in stock and have it shipped to you asap.

Rick's has an aftermarket stator and I should get it tomorrow and get back on the road. Thanks for the responses.

I spent all day figuring out options. Called other Honda dealers with no results. U haul wanted $900 to rent a 10' truck to home. The Honda dealer would not take a 2002 VFR with 44000 miles as a trade in, he had two used and two new on the floor and only sold one VFR last year. About $400 to crate and ship the bike, then I would need a plane ticket home. You guys provided the best options.

• Member Contributer
Maybe Rick's Motorsport electronics, discussed in this topic, has one in stock and have it shipped to you asap.

Rick's has an aftermarket stator and I should get it tomorrow and get back on the road. Thanks for the responses.

I spent all day figuring out options. Called other Honda dealers with no results. U haul wanted $900 to rent a 10' truck to home. The Honda dealer would not take a 2002 VFR with 44000 miles as a trade in, he had two used and two new on the floor and only sold one VFR last year. About $400 to crate and ship the bike, then I would need a plane ticket home. You guys provided the best options.

Glad to hear you found a solution. Is the dealer going to install it or are they leaving it up to you?

Someone should pin this, the response from the vfrd community here is amazing. :thumbsup: :blink:

• Member Contributer
They still have not totaled my bike.... so technically, it still belongs to me (2006 model.) I can go down to the yard where it's stored right now and pull mine if you need it. I have to call ahead and clear it, but the guy who owns the place and I have become friends... so it should not be an issue. Jeremy, what am I looking for if I need to pull this for him?

It is #4 in the diagram below

Diagram

(link instead of image, because VFRD won't allow embedded BMP's)

You will have to remove right and left fairings, unplug the 3 wire harness with 3 red wires connecting to the regulator/rectumfrier on the right side of the bike and pull it through from the left side of the bike.

Then remove the alternator cover on the left side that the wire is leading to, and IIRC, the stator just comes right off.

• Member Contributer

This is an amazing thread to me. A person in trouble getting so much great help from the web site- not just ideas but actual offers to send parts! Great going guys and thanks to Slammer for having the site too. Geezer

The Honda Dealer will install the aftermarket stator. The dealer just happened to be 2 blocks from the hotel we were staying at.

Another guy in our group on a new BMW K1200s had his clutch master cylinder go out just before we arrived to Salt Lake. The BMW dealer here took one off a showroom bike and he is on the road with the rest of the group.

This is the second time a Honda part I have ordered for this bike was not available in the USA with a month wait on a model that is in current production for the last six years. I have had better luck ordering parts for my 1985 Nighthawk S. Big Red is loosing big points here in my book.

I realize this is a very dumb question but what exactly is the stator and where is it on my 2006 VFR?

Thank you,

The 'not too mechanical' Colonel

Stator is what generates electricity, basically an electric motor being driven by the crankshaft. It sends A/C current to the R/R which converts it to 12v DC. It is located under the alternator cover which is the large black engine case on the left side of your bike opposite the timing hole cover for the crankshaft on the right side.

Thank you very much for the reply. This helps my understanding a lot. I appreciate it.

The Honda Dealer will install the aftermarket stator. The dealer just happened to be 2 blocks from the hotel we were staying at.

Another guy in our group on a new BMW K1200s had his clutch master cylinder go out just before we arrived to Salt Lake. The BMW dealer here took one off a showroom bike and he is on the road with the rest of the group.

This is the second time a Honda part I have ordered for this bike was not available in the USA with a month wait on a model that is in current production for the last six years. I have had better luck ordering parts for my 1985 Nighthawk S. Big Red is loosing big points here in my book.

THis is the part that really worried me. Stuck on the road with no part - especially a part that is regualarly replaced - for a current model can't be justified. I needed a oil/water pump assembly once for a BMW and there were'nt any in the US, but BMW sent one air freight from Germany and i was back on the road in three days.

• Member Contributer
This is an amazing thread to me. A person in trouble getting so much great help from the web site- not just ideas but actual offers to send parts! Great going guys and thanks to Slammer for having the site too. Geezer

I agree!

Nice job VFRD dudes! :thumbsup:

Archived