Feedback On Metzler Z6

Growler67

• Member Contributer

Just had to replace my rear. Comuter syndrome and the tread started to delaminate on my Dunlop 207 Sportmax (I hate Dunlops). Got it on sale and got sucked into it by price and the "milage" story. I'm back to a Metzler combo again (peace of mind for me). I'd like some feedback on what I can really expect out of the Z6 on the rear. I had slightly over a half inch of chicken strips on the tire I got rid of. I don't ride like a fool, but when the time, place and impulse afford it, I shake out the cobwebs. I know all about the new tire speech and all. Tomorrow will just be a scrub session down to Pueblo and back, before I go to work.

i had m1 front/ z6 rear. no slab riding, around town/twisties 20/80 got 4500 miles out of the combo. m1 never let go once. z6 started slipping around on me after about 3800 miles. it wore very smooth. no cupping at all. i wont go back to the combo only because i am riding more and more twisties. trying m3's on front/back for added performance. dont think the mileage will compare though.

you said metzeler combo. what are you running front?

I went through 3 sets of Z6s and was ableto get about 4k mi out of a rear and get about 7 out of a Front if I needed it to last. I think I was very hard on the rears due to 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies to warm up tha rear tire for the twistys, ( lived in NC at the time) I was able to push them fairly hard without any pucker factor Incidents. Just make sure you get em good and warm before you push them hard. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

MEZ-1 up front, with about 500 miles on it. I like Metzlers because for me they felt more consistant than Dunlops when I raced (many, many years ago). The didn't get greasy then "break" on you unexpectedly like the Duns. They were consistant all the way down to nothing. Just my opinion based on personal feel. I know thewe are many that will swear by Duns or other brands. I'm also very aware that tire technology has jumped leaps and bounds over the years and they've all gotten better. The delamination thing is going to stick in my mind for a very long time, however. Hard to trust something that looked that bad after not really being abused. I'm happy for others if they like what's under them. I've only seem to have been impressed with Metzlers, at least on my VFR. I wouldn't recommend much less than Dunlop Elites for a strickly touring bike, though.

MEZ-1 up front, with about 500 miles on it. I like Metzlers because for me they felt more consistant than Dunlops when I raced (many, many years ago). The didn't get greasy then "break" on you unexpectedly like the Duns. They were consistant all the way down to nothing. Just my opinion based on personal feel. I know thewe are many that will swear by Duns or other brands. I'm also very aware that tire technology has jumped leaps and bounds over the years and they've all gotten better. The delamination thing is going to stick in my mind for a very long time, however. Hard to trust something that looked that bad after not really being abused. I'm happy for others if they like what's under them. I've only seem to have been impressed with Metzlers, at least on my VFR. I wouldn't recommend much less than Dunlop Elites for a strickly touring bike, though.

what type of riding are you doing? cruising? fast & straight? fast & twistie?

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately mostly commuting. I'll hit the "I" or cruise up to the mountains to do some carving once in a while. I don't get the opportunity to do anything more aggressive or fun these days. I'm capable and once in a while when there's no one around I'll open her up, but not very often.

Unfortunately mostly commuting. I'll hit the "I" or cruise up to the mountains to do some carving once in a while. I don't get the opportunity to do anything more aggressive or fun these days. I'm capable and once in a while when there's no one around I'll open her up, but not very often.

ok, the Z6 will have plenty of grip for that then. the only knock on the z6 is that the center strip is wide with no wear indicators. if you are doing mostly middle riding, then you will need to keep an eye on the tread as it will all look fine and then one day, wham....threads will be there.

so how does the MEZ1 compare with a M1? I looked around on the net and didn't find an answer to this.

• Member Contributer

Can't offer much of an opinion on the M1. Never had one mounted. Sorry. It's very comparable to the old Comp K's that Metzler used to offer though. Good wear and traction in dry or wet. I can get between 3800-5000 out of them. Like any tire, you gotta keep an eye on them with air pressure. I break hard and late so if they don't have adequate air, they'll start to cup in no time.

• Member Contributer

ive got about 6500 on a set of z6 front and back. rear is almost done, would have lasted longer but running across nevada with full gear at 110+ in hot conditions really did a number on the center.

I just recently startd doing work on the susp (springs and damping and such) and have started riding like a hooligan now, they havenlt let go on me yet though. the rear is probably 90% worn in the center and the front maybe 75% worn.

If i had to guess, i would say without the nevada thing i would have gotten 7500 out of them pretty easy. I am told they do excellent in the rain, i ride like a girl when it rains since my last 'incident' was on a track in almost a torrential rain, and i still havent completely gotten over it. thank god it was the track bike and not the vfr.

i have been thinking about upgrading to some new rubber here soon, cant decide if i want the same or something different.

They do slide predictably when you hit a spot of gravel midcorner though, and re grip the road predictably too...

• Member Contributer
If you want a commuting tire, try Pilot Roads.

I haven't used the Z6, but they must be better than the roads. The profile is awful, the front cups so bad it does a tank slapper whenever you turn with 50% tread, and the rear starts sliding all over at 50% tread, not to mention twitchy, vague feel from the start.

• Member Contributer

I haven't used the Z6, but they must be better than the roads. The profile is awful, the front cups so bad it does a tank slapper whenever you turn with 50% tread, and the rear starts sliding all over at 50% tread, not to mention twitchy, vague feel from the start.

+1.gif

Can't say anything bad about the z6. I like the tire :thumbsup:

I'm about to go back to z6 front after runnin pilot power front, The pilot power front has over 6 thousand mile, thats not bad for a track tire (some mild feathering). But I really like the z6 front when I had one, at 5,000 mile it was wearing really nice and looked to have another 3,000 mile, but a screw killed it.

If for some reason My reaquaintence with Z6 is not favorable , I'll probably go back to PP

I'm running the pirelli strada rear right now only about 500 mile or so, I hope it gets better than 5000 mile, I do noticed it doesnt spin as easy as Z4 or AVONS(actually no spin at all yet) I need some rain riding to really test, but the lack of spin uder dry conditions ought to help reduced rubber shreading.

3rd gear wheelies

Your clutch must hate you, or you have a pizza pan for a rear sprocket.

I'd bring it up in 2nd with the clutch, and shift to 3rd w/o clutch. It would'nt stay on tha back tire long in third.

• Member Contributer
3rd gear wheelies

Your clutch must hate you, or you have a pizza pan for a rear sprocket.

I'd bring it up in 2nd with the clutch, and shift to 3rd w/o clutch. It would'nt stay on tha back tire long in third.

Oh OK, I thought you meant bring the front end up in 3rd. If you get to the BP in second, you can shift to 3rd and ride for as long as you care to.

• Member Contributer

I'm on my second set of Z6's now. I got about 7000 miles out of the first rear. I love the tires.

• Member Contributer

+1.gif

I thought you had Michelin Macadam's Gary?

• Member Contributer

I've been running Metzeler Z6's and Pirelli Diablo Stradas exclusively for a couple of years. I get whichever brand is cheapest at the time I need tires. Lately that has been Diablo Stradas. They feel great, good turn in, very smooth riding, and yet I can still feel what the front end is doing without being jarred to death. As far as I can tell, the Z6 and Strada are the same tire with different names and ever so slightly different tread shape but same overall tread design. Get whichever's cheapest at the time you buy. Unfortunately, I'm only getting about 3,000-3,200 miles out of rears and 4,000-4,500 miles out of fronts on both brands.

• 2 weeks later...
ok, the Z6 will have plenty of grip for that then. the only knock on the z6 is that the center strip is wide with no wear indicators. if you are doing mostly middle riding, then you will need to keep an eye on the tread as it will all look fine and then one day, wham....threads will be there.

Got that right, Turtlecreek! I am at 9700 miles on my rear Z6 (!) but all of a sudden, it started showing cords on about 12" of the center line. I'm mostly a commuter. I have Z6's on both front and rear. I could tell it was gonna need a new tire soon, but when you see cords, "soon" becomes "NOW". Still, I'm very impressed with the tire, and its performance. Gonna replace it with another Z6. I've never seen any big problems with cold weather performance and often will start a ride to work when its in the mid-30s F.

Enjoy,

Dave

Archived