Metz Z4 Milage?

Vecky5

• Member Contributer

I checked the Tire guide but want to make sure I'm reading it correctly. Do the Metzler Z4 tires average around 8K for the life of them?

The reason I'm asking is that I have close to 6K on mine now and am seeing if they will get me to the Texasmac meet and back. I'm guessing it's going to be about a 1,000- 1,500 mile trip and I don't really have an extra $300 right now for a new set.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
I checked the Tire guide but want to make sure I'm reading it correctly. Do the Metzler Z4 tires average around 8K for the life of them?

The reason I'm asking is that I have close to 6K on mine now and am seeing if they will get me to the Texasmac meet and back. I'm guessing it's going to be about a 1,000- 1,500 mile trip and I don't really have an extra $300 right now for a new set.

Thanks.

I wouldn't run Z4s at TexasMac, especially worn out ones. I hear nothing but bad about those tires.

If you want mileage I would recommend going for Z6 or Diablo Strada, or for performance Pilot Power or and of the other Diablo series.

Thanks.

In Canada and Europe the VFR came with Z4's in '02-'03 (I think)...at any rate my '02 came with Z4's and I went through three sets before spooning on Z6's which I am on the second set of now. I don't get all this negatism about Z4's, my experience has been excellent in all conditions and I always got 11K-12K (kilometer's) out of a set, somewhere around 7K-7.5K miles and road them on the street and track with excellent performance. One of my riding pals has a '04 that came with the Dunlop's which got about the same mileage but not a smooth a ride. As for the Z6, I find them to be a bit smoother and tip in a bit better than the Z4's, otherwise about the same.

At any rate, you will be pushing the life regardless so you should change them up

I went back to sport tires for Tmac. Plus, you might hit almost 1k miles just in group rides while there if your are there for 3+ days. I've even taking extra tires w/ me just in case these get fried between now and then.

NOOOOO!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!

Get the new Avon Storms instead!! Great mileage from a great tire!!

I can't seem to find anywhere that has those. Post a link, need to replace my M1's soon and I want to go back to an ST tire since all I seem to be doing lately is commuting.

• Member Contributer

I've narrowed it down to the Avon Storms or the Pirelli Diablo Strada. Does one "stick" better than the other? Do they both get around the same milage? (sorry for another tire thread).

BTW, SWMototires has Avons.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant....gory_Code=Storm

I've narrowed it down to the Avon Storms or the Pirelli Diablo Strada. Does one "stick" better than the other? Do they both get around the same milage? (sorry for another tire thread).

BTW, SWMototires has Avons.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant....gory_Code=Storm

denniskirk.com also carries them, but your best bet is to pick up either Cycle World or Motorcyclist and find the best price you can in their ad pages, then have DK do a price match, they have free shipping and also ship in a box as opposed to just tie-wrapping the rubber and sending it as-is...

• Member Contributer

I'm going to take Seb's recommendation about the Avon Storms. From what I've read and heard, they should work out pretty good for my style of riding.

Anyone around Mid KY or Nashville area have a tire changer set up and want to help me out? Lunch and or beer is on me if so. Just let me know. My local dealer charges $45 for tire to mount and balance. TIA.

Thanks.

I ran 3 z4 rears, the first one got too close to the cord at 5700 mile and starting leaking air it was gettin pretty bald, but no cord sign yet. after that I replaced them at 5000 mile plus . my next tire was an AVONst45 which I didnt care too much for, it spun too easy on straight line stuff. I'm presently running the Pirelli rear, havent had any spin issues.

the Z4 front is what really kills the z4 package, Z6 is a big handling difference. I've been running a pilot power front, which is pretty wore out at 6,000 plus miles, I'm going back to Z6 , should be an interesting result

Thanks.

I only got 3600 miles out of mine.

Not happy with the performance once they were broken in.

Went to pilot powers, way better.

TJ.

I'm going to take Seb's recommendation about the Avon Storms. From what I've read and heard, they should work out pretty good for my style of riding.

Anyone around Mid KY or Nashville area have a tire changer set up and want to help me out? Lunch and or beer is on me if so. Just let me know. My local dealer charges $45 for tire to mount and balance. TIA.

when you wanting to do it? i have a bead brake that i made plus static balancer. would be happy to help you. i'm in brentwood, tn though....i have changed 4 sets of tires now and it is no issue to do. just a little sweat is all it takes.

Archived