Hearing Protection

Guest Wargoose

first 3 years i rode i never wore any earplugs. just assumed it had to be that noisy.

a couple of years ago i tried the earplugs and was surprised how much more energy i had on rides, and no ringing in the ears.

get plugs that are over 28 dbs of protection, ones that fit for your 'style' of ear, or get/make some custom ones.

i bought a kit last year, for about 25 bucks CDN. work like a charm.

you'll actually hear your engine noise better and it has no effect on hearing sirens or voices, just gets rid of the high-end noise that damages your hearing.

Ok, now I feel pretty dumb. Never wore them. I guess I'll give it a try this summer.

As anyone started to wear them later on? What are the thing to look for? (i.e. do you feel like things snick up on you? Are you startled by vehicles you would usually hear?)

How about track days?

Thanks,

SG

• Member Contributer

WHAT??? I can't hear you!!

I always wear the disposable foam ear plugs when riding, but sometimes I try to use them a little too long. It sucks when they won't stay compressed or fit in the ear canal anymore ( but they make tasty treats at that point!) . At those times, I find the wind noise (even with full face helmets) to be very noticeable and it seems to interfere with my ability to hear cars, sirens, etc. more than functional earplugs.

YMMV. Don't stick sharp pointy things in your ears as a substitute for approve hearing protection unless you are tired of listening to your spouse/significant other and don't want to go to jail for REDRUM! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I use Howard Leights. They work the best for me and are very comfortable.

Earplugs are a hassle to use but so is saying, Huh? all the time.

Blows me away to see the Harley riders with their beanie lids on with no hearing protection. I don't understand some things....

I had a local audiologist make some plugs out of the mold goop. They work great, are comfortable and were only $25!

The fancy ones with pressure equalization earlier in the thread look like a better option. What did they set you back Dutchy?

• Member Contributer
you'll actually hear your engine noise better and it has no effect on hearing sirens or voices...

:goofy:

Even with a proper fitting helmet you're going to get some wind noise. For me the wind drowns out the engine and just annoys the hell out of me. Earplugs are definitely the way to go, on the street or at the track.

Blows me away to see the Harley riders with their beanie lids on with no hearing protection. I don't understand some things....

That's what I always wonder about?

That must be a loud ride with those LOUD PIPES and open helmet.

I've never had the pleasure myself.

Anyone else? Ya gotta be deef after a ride?

Howard Leight Max, NRR 33 for me.

I wear EAR classic platinum at the moment

I tried wearing custom moulded plugs but because my helmets squash my head and ears the plugs would get pushed a little and not seal and provide protection, I also found this uncomfortable hence my shift back to foamies

I rarely wear plugs, but try to always wear them when I'm doing more than 15-20 min. of freeway droning. I need to invest in a better pair than the cheapo foam ones. Not that those are bad, but I'd like to try some that fit and seal better.

I regularly use earplugs on stage with a couple bands I'm in. I gotta remember to try THOSE plugs out soon, just hafta remember to get them outta my gig bag - and then put them back in the bag before my next gig!

I got a set made at the International Motorcycle show a few years back. I think I paid $75 for the molded style. I love them for their comfort and effectiveness.

Here is the website:

BigEar

• Member Contributer
I had a local audiologist make some plugs out of the mold goop. They work great, are comfortable and were only $25!

The fancy ones with pressure equalization earlier in the thread look like a better option. What did they set you back Dutchy?

My ears may be good, my brain is fried......... I donot remember :lol:

So I did a quick search on the net, about 70 euros. This probably means 50 bucks in the US........

• Member Contributer

Up until a month ago, I just used my fingers. Last month, however, one of the straps broke on my special handlebars that allow me to steer with my elbows.

So I guess it's back to earplugs....

Up until a month ago, I just used my fingers. Last month, however, one of the straps broke on my special handlebars that allow me to steer with my elbows.

So I guess it's back to earplugs....

hahaha! -coffee almost shot out my nose on that one! At least it was ice coffee. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I wear my ear plugs all the time. Every ride. There are several sets of plugs around the house, in my tank bag and in the pocket of my jacket. OK... the cat has a few she stole off my bedside table, but having more than one set handy all the time makes the difference.

OH yea.. I have the custom molded ones too, ordered and fitted from last years NY motorcycle show. ALSO great, but they make my ears sore after a while and the soft cheap ones seem a little more gentle.

I found these at the hardware store:

gallery_1873_1006_8038.jpg

AOSafety earplugs

I just cut the cord off and trimmed the stalk back a bit to fit into the helmet. They work for me!

I just cut the cord off and trimmed the stalk back a bit to fit into the helmet. They work for me!

I tried those too (we used to have them at a plant I worked at) - I tended to find them uncomfortable under my helmet after hours of riding and they tend to get kind of waxy pretty quick. You may find the foam type better as far as a throw-away type plug is concerned.

Let us know how they work for you.

Wargoose

• Member Contributer

I'm a big fan of the Hearos NRR 33 disposables.

One of these days I will pony up the big $$ to try the custom ones but last time I talked to the local people who were making them they said they were only NRR 29.

I can really tell the difference between 33 and 32 so I can't see myself paying $75 for an NRR 29 pair when I can wear the hearos all day and I run through maybe $8 of them a year. You can grab them in almost any big chain drug store.

I tried the Howard Leight ones too but I like the Hearos better. They're a little more "moldable" so I tend to get a better fit.

• Member Contributer

Excellent topic!

Have any of you heard or tried HearTech's QuietEar product?

Seems interesting, they are reusable and seem to offer selective Noise reduction.

From their website:

"Speech range below 2000 Hz Hence attenuation low. NRR only 14.5.

Protection where needed over 2000 Hz Sufficient, for light industry, dentists, military, go carting, motor racing, musicians, discos etc. NRR 33.4"

I wonder if this stuff really works for motorcycling... I mean who knows at what "frequency" is the air hitting my helmet?

They are also available from the Earplug Super Store

I find them interesting but would probably go for the safer SilentEar Product.

I tried those too (we used to have them at a plant I worked at) - I tended to find them uncomfortable under my helmet after hours of riding and they tend to get kind of waxy pretty quick. You may find the foam type better as far as a throw-away type plug is concerned.

Let us know how they work for you.

Wargoose

I shoud have said that I've been using them for over two years (not the same pair). I didn't like the foam kind that you have to squeeze together. Just my preference. These seem to fit my ears pretty well. They also come with a plastic case, which would be great if I didin't always lose it.

Excellent topic!

Have any of you heard or tried HearTech's QuietEar product?

I find them interesting but would probably go for the safer SilentEar Product.

Thanks for the links. :beer: I have agree, I'd probably go with the SilentEars as well.

Here's another link to some ear plugs that claim to have 34 dB NRR: http://www.earplugsonline.com/index.html

Archived