Dashing - Through The Snow (season)

didit

• Member Contributer

gallery_6587_1254_12179.jpg

panel with cr treatment (1).JPG

WARNING: the images you are about to see are not real carbon fibre. Trace, do not take offence to these images.

I had my friend in England look everywhere possible and to no avail, couldn't find the dash treatment kit that wash

shown here some time ago. So, want something I couldn't have, I decided to make my own.

Now the whole purpose for this was to deal with the several scratches and gouge from the PO of the bike.

Having done some practice work last year (battery and accesory covers on side) and being somewhat happy with the

results, this winter I took on the guage panel. I'm happy with it and best of all, I don't have to look at the gouge anymore.

Here is the panel shot, showing the major gouge on the left of the tach.

gallery_6587_1254_78323.jpg

panel before.JPG

After some plastic repair and tracing out (no pun intended) the pattern,

gallery_6587_1254_140747.jpg

panel with cr treatment.JPG

here's how it turned out.

gallery_6587_1254_147252.jpg

panel with cr treatment (3).JPG

gallery_6587_1254_134433.jpg

panel with cr treatment (2).JPG

I am still putting things back together. So once we actually get some sun and all her clothes are on, I'll update with another shot.

Comments?

Looks great but where do you guys that are doing this stuff with the sticky fiber get it from? I can't find it anywhere.... Great looking work though, let me be the first to commend that fact. I've been wanting to do this to mine but....

• Member Contributer

I picked up a huge sheet a few years ago from a decal shop that was closing out.

I'd be more than happy to cut you a good size piece and ship over to you.

I also kept the stencil from the dash and side pieces, except they are for a 6th gen.

PM me if you have any interest. Thanks for the comments too.

• Member Contributer
Lookin good......conformed pretty well to all the surfaces.....must be thin stuff. :thumbsup:

Not neccessarily, by using a hair dryer the plstic becomes more plyable and folds around steep angles too.

Cycleworld of Daytona Beach has a local guy that does it for them. That's where VFRtiger got hers. They do a multi-piece kit that includes dash, triple tree top, ignition key surround, fuel filler surround, tank and tail accents. Give them a call and talk to their parts and accessories folks.. (386) 257-2600.

6919cf_dash1.JPG

• Member Contributer
Not neccessarily, by using a hair dryer the plstic becomes more plyable and folds around steep angles too.

Exactly. When applying any decal, vinyl or 3M style product, heat is your friend big time. I just put 3M headlight protectors on

yesterday with the same little hair dryer. It doesn't take much.

The CF vinyl has a heat activated glue. It gives a 'little' forgivness when initially positioning, but a quick 15 second shot on low

and you can actually see it start to suck to the surface and into the contours so nice. Going around the tach circle was the hardest

part, as there is only so much you can do before it starts to stress. All in all, I'm happy with it and like I said, don't have to see that

little gouge when glancing down at 80k (officer). :unsure:

I picked up a huge sheet a few years ago from a decal shop that was closing out.

I'd be more than happy to cut you a good size piece and ship over to you.

I also kept the stencil from the dash and side pieces, except they are for a 6th gen.

PM me if you have any interest. Thanks for the comments too.

you have a pm....

Guest gg2wheel4me

For those looking to do this. www.tapeworks.com has a very good looking carbon decal (by the sheet).

I bought some for my 6th gen when I ordered the 5th gen style lower cowl logos back in 05.

I havnt done it yet, but still may. looked at a 6th gen with the rear fender done with the

tapeworks stuff. Looks really sweet.

Edited by gg2wheel4me

• Member Contributer

Great Job, I may have to copy that. Looks Great!!

gallery_6414_1084_27796.jpg

Honda_VFR_2006_280.jpg

Here is the real stuff that none of us can find.

Kind of a quest for us to keep searching for.

V4 Rosso found the part numbers

Euro Link

My brother-in-law is searching near his corner of Germany.

I'm searching for some nice carbon to try this mod right now.

Nice job Didit

• Member Contributer
Boy I'm tempted! Especially that my bike is all apart. I am not sure I can do as good a job as you did.

Well, ya know Stephane. When I come down I am going to be using your talents, so I'll just cut another piece from the template

and we'll pop your dash off, do it up and let it sit over night. Right as rain in the morning. Your call dude. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Boy I'm tempted! Especially that my bike is all apart. I am not sure I can do as good a job as you did.

Well, ya know Stephane. When I come down I am going to be using your talents, so I'll just cut another piece from the template

and we'll pop your dash off, do it up and let it sit over night. Right as rain in the morning. Your call dude. :huh:

I'll get the Sleeman! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

and we'll pop your dash off, do it up and let it sit over night. Right as rain in the morning. Your call dude. :unsure:

I'll get the Sleeman! :thumbsup:

I'll start cutting.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the comments. Was a little worried at first but like any other mod, it only gets better from here.

I'm not a fan of fake carbon, but you did a fantastic job of applying the vinyl! Nice work. smile.gif

I'm not normally a fan of the fake carbon fiber either, but with a scratched up dash panel myself, this looks like a good alternative to spending $60 on a new panel that is going to get scratched up again. :thumbsup:

Aaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh........my EYES, my EYYYYYEEEEESSSS!!!

Having said that, I must add that you did a really nice job with your phony, fake, stick-on vinyl carbon-fibre-look stuff. But why didn't you try it with fake wood grain??! :unsure:

Again, nice job!

• Member Contributer
Aaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh........my EYES, my EYYYYYEEEEESSSS!!!

Having said that, I must add that you did a really nice job with your phony, fake, stick-on vinyl carbon-fibre-look stuff. But why didn't you try it with fake wood grain??! :unsure:

Again, nice job!

Thats easy. Fake wood grain is TOO heavy :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Great Job, I may have to copy that. Looks Great!!

gallery_6414_1084_27796.jpg

Honda_VFR_2006_280.jpg

Here is the real stuff that none of us can find.

Kind of a quest for us to keep searching for.

V4 Rosso found the part numbers

Euro Link

My brother-in-law is searching near his corner of Germany.

I'm searching for some nice carbon to try this mod right now.

Nice job Didit

Do you know if they sell those parts separately or as a kit? I just need the bridge cover...