Back Protectors (again)

Guest superchode

Guest superchode

so the knox contour race back protector looks pretty good... but i having a bit of trouble finding really good info on the bohn (cool-air racer pro).

i'd like to compare the two... as they both available at a supplier not too far from me. the knox seems well rated and certified, but i keep looking back to the bohn since it covers more area (kidneys, shoulder areas).

this is for on-track use. both are in that same general price range.

looking for anyone who's used one or the other or who as anything additional to add that wasn't covered in the other back protector thread.

i'll add some pics once i get home and can upload them.

I have the Knox Richochet Spineguard and love it. It is very comfy and offers great protection. It's also pretty flexible. I use mine for commuting. It exceeds CE-2 specs and appears to be well made. I am very skeptical of Bohn's stuff. My vote is for Knox!

• Member Contributer
I have the Knox Richochet Spineguard and love it. It is very comfy and offers great protection. It's also pretty flexible. I use mine for commuting. It exceeds CE-2 specs and appears to be well made. I am very skeptical of Bohn's stuff. My vote is for Knox!

I also have a Knox (by MQP), with a kevlar/carbon "spine" on the outside.

I did modify it somewhat. The bottom section was too long in combination with my leather gear.

Un-stitched the covering fabric at the bottom, cut the foam (if that is the correct word for it) and re-stitched.

Found it comfortable to wear; the best gear is gear you actually wear....

I was looking at one of these http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/back...ector_sport.asp And was able to borrow one from the guys putting on Sunday Track days at Buttonwillow . After wearing it all day Im sold on the comfort and protection. The cost is good too.

You can also check out this link http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protector/tpro-bohn/

• Member Contributer
so the knox contour race back protector looks pretty good... but i having a bit of trouble finding really good info on the bohn (cool-air racer pro).

i'd like to compare the two... as they both available at a supplier not too far from me. the knox seems well rated and certified, but i keep looking back to the bohn since it covers more area (kidneys, shoulder areas).

this is for on-track use. both are in that same general price range.

looking for anyone who's used one or the other or who as anything additional to add that wasn't covered in the other back protector thread.

i'll add some pics once i get home and can upload them.

I have a spidi back protector :

image.php?productid=116739

But under the recent events, I really, REALLY STRONGLY recommend, buy a BACK PROTECTOR combined with CHEST PROTECTOR !!! Think about it. If you want to spear your heart, which way is the easiest to get there - through chest. Which bones crack the easiest and are closest to your heart - the ribs. We don't protect our ribs!!! And it is so easy to break them and they are so close to your heart and arteries and aorta. A broken rib can pears easily your aorta ... We protect our big bones, knees, shoulders, elbows, but we do nothing for those fragile bones which are in close proximity to our most important muscle of all of them - our hearts ...

Here are some really good alternatives:

One worn by Nicky Haden apparently:

http://impactarmor.homestead.com/

Helimot...respected company. Not sure which I'd pick, D or K:

http://www.helimot.com/catalog/other_items...tpad_data.shtml

Forcefield check protector:

http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_chest.htm

Martina

unfortunately for myself and other canucks, the availablity is not as good this side of the border (don't have access to all the same web retailers - certainly not for the same shipping prices).

i'll see if i can dig up other retailers to expand my options.

• Member Contributer

I have a Knox Contour that I use for the track and like it. It's fairly thin and comfortable, and protects down to the coccyx . Make sure you consult the size chart.

I use a Clover back protector, feel naked without it. If you can get a brit mag called RiDE they do some damn good tests on this sort of gear.

Diainese also make some good ones.

I'll look into those chst thingy's too to protect my man-boobs smile.gif

• Member Contributer

The problem with separate back protector is that when you actually realize the urgency for chest protector, you might not be able to incorporate separate back protector and SEPARATE chest protector into your leathers. Which is my current problem.

I used my back protector once (2 track days) but at the same time I saw how badly a simple crash can turn out if one is not wearing a back protector. Broken ribs near aorta are really not good news. I don't think I will ride again without a chest protector... Well, it scares me right now to even think of riding - but I am sure that first spring rays will cure me from that one...

So, even if you not sold on the chest protector thing (and I hate that because I don't wish anyone to get similar lesson), buy a back protector which has the possibility to be combined with a chest protector.

Trust me, your love ones will thank you,

Martina

(sorry for having pathetic posts but there is a lot of emotions mixed in them ... )

P.S. My back protector is for sale - used for 2 track day in cold weather - not a drop of sweat touched it ...

I have a Knox Contour that I use for the track and like it. It's fairly thin and comfortable, and protects down to the coccyx . Make sure you consult the size chart.

Speaking of coccyx, do any of you racers wear a cup? Seems to me thats a fairly important thing to protect.

• Member Contributer
I plan on buying something like this for track/race days, not this brand though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/a3j-Safety-...1QQcmdZViewItem

That is a good one Kevin!

I saw couple riders wearing this:

550.jpg

but that is not as nearly good as what you suggested in that ebay auction. I see only one problem, there is no manufacturer who would make good and large enough chest protectors which covers significant portion of chest and also fits WOMEN"S CURVES... :pissed:

Martina

• Member Contributer
not a drop of sweat touched it ...

This info just knocked 98% off the price you could ask for it.......

Guys will line up to buy it if it has a mere fraction of "Martinkap scent" :pissed:

I plan on buying something like this for track/race days, not this brand though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/a3j-Safety-...1QQcmdZViewItem

That is a good one Kevin!

I saw couple riders wearing this:

550.jpg

but that is not as nearly good as what you suggested in that ebay auction. I see only one problem, there is no manufacturer who would make good and large enough chest protectors which covers significant portion of chest and also fits WOMEN"S CURVES... :pissed:

Martina

I have an Icon and am disappointed in it after having it a while, mostly because the velco starting to let go within a few uses which allows it to move around to much. I think that if I'm going to be ripping it up especially at a track the full armor is the way to go.

As far as Armor covering nice female body parts comfortably I can offer no help. Good luck on that one! :pissed:

on the helimot chest thingo, I cant see any straps, anyone know how they stay in place?

That one on ebay looks a bit power ranger to me, and my diainese jacket has the shoulder and elbow protection anyway... i'll search for just a chest+back combo...

and clicking on those links above helps smile.gif Looks like the forcefield gear is pretty good, and has some good reviews from RiDE.

• Member Contributer
on the helimot chest thingo, I cant see any straps, anyone know how they stay in place?

That one on ebay looks a bit power ranger to me, and my diainese jacket has the shoulder and elbow protection anyway... i'll search for just a chest+back combo...

Not sure - I was looking more into the forcefield stuff...

I just found this though:

VERY GOOD ANALYSIS OF SAFETY OF BACK PROTECTORS WITH LINKS

and this does not look bad either:

http://www.spidi.com/spidi-jsp/index.jsp?p...EFENDER%20ARMOR

z126_b.jpg

Also they have Back and Chest combo.

However, I don't think either is being offered in USA.

Martina

• Member Contributer

I have broken both of my collar bones. Next week I am going to have a titanium plate fitted to one as it never joined up (because I was too active with the arm in the 6 weeks after the break). The surgeon has warned me that if I break that one again it is very problematic.

Is there any armour that protects your shoulders ACROSS your back? Certainly when I broke the second one I simply landed on my shoulder falling off my Dakar at about 40 kph on dirt. I am really concerned about falling on a shoulder again & would like protection that takes the load off my collar bone if there is such a thing.

• Member Contributer

The bohn stuff is rather sleazy. Read this below. It is from a fireblade board, but I have read similar folks complaining about Bohn's lack of testing before.

There is a very long and informative post that provides a good place to start doing your own research .

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/riding-ge...protectors.html

Knox makes reference to improper use of CE claims by other companies. They don't name names, but it appears to be in response to Bohn's non-certified CE labeling practice. Bohn uses a CE label without actually being certified. Bohn also does not specify which standard they are referring to in their marketing statements of "exceeding CE specs" or "built to European CE standards". An article on the British Motorcycle Federation website implies that unnamed companies are being sued for improperly using the CE mark and not complying with the proper specs for back protectors. I cannot find any actual information that directly refers to Bohn or the standards that Bohn allegedly meets or exceeds.

http://www.bmf.co.uk/briefing/index....ef24.inc.shtml

Bohn lists the Pro-Racer protectors as being "made to European CE standards", though they have NOT actually been certified.

Is Bohn referring to the correct back protector standard when they make this claim? Well, Bohn’s claim was made prior to the existence of the 1621-2 back protector standard, and they have still refused to submit for proper testing and certification.

Bohn makes no certification, rating, or other protection claims with any of the Carbon/Kevlar models or the Pro-Racer Motard version, and offers no performance data or levels of protection for those models either.

The Bohn X-Ploit chest and back harnesses claim to be "made to the Scandinavian Off-road Protection Standard." No word on whether these protectors are actually certified to that standard either. I don't know too much about the Swedish(Scandinavian) off-road standard, but it was instituted in 1993 and is probably not at the current level required by CE for street use items.

Bohn's website offers no specific information regarding which CE specs are being met and how it is being proven. I find this claim to be blatantly deceptive and deceitful. Such claims should be backed-up. Any company that tries to tag-on to safety standards and markings without actually providing open evidence or paying for the right to market its products using the standard is not selling in good faith.

But they do offer-up some gems, like this quote from Eric Bostrom.

"After testing at the Jan 2000 Laguna Shakedown Eric reported: '...really comfortable, and made me feel safe on the bike' "

Boy that was convincing, haha. Yes, that is the entire testimonial.

What 'bout something like this? Knox Cross Shirt

crossShirt_lg.jpg

Features:

• CE impact protection for complete upper body. Improved for 2005 - One piece flexible chest protector
  • Back protector is held in place with an additional waist belt for added comfort
  • Neoprene wrist bands ensure that the sleeves stay firmly in place
  • Complete freedom of movement is possible because of the use of lightweight, flexible materials
  • Extensive use of breathable materials for increased air flow
  • Newly developed Knox Waist Strap System to fit all sizes
  • Technically advanced fabrics include L System with Coolmax and antibacterial treatment
  • Tough tear resistant mesh
  • Mesh bonded polyetheylene foam for added comfort and breathability
  • Honeycomb polypropeylene and K Resin protectors

thanks for all the input... i guess i'm leaning towards the knox and a mating chest protector.

the initial cost of this gear is going to add up (considering i need a new pair of track boots, as well) - but i'd hate to be lamenting cheaping out halfway through a tarmac slide.

maybe all i need is a higher paying job! heh.

• Member Contributer

Assuming you have leathers, it won't be the slide that'll have you lamenting the lack of gear (heck, it's just asphalt surfing) -- it'll be the high-side launch -- and the impact with the fairing/windscreen on the way out or inevitable hard landing with earth or sudden contact other immovable objects (like tire fences). wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Although I'm an ATGATT kinda guy, there should be a limit to the amount of protectors I'm prepared to don (at least for street riding and I havenot yet done track days).

If you want security, drive a Volvo........

Hey, donot FLAME me, I ride on myself..... (V40 2.0)....

Wearing full leather, helmet, gloves, boots, backprotector, a car doing a U turn caused me to brake like hell, lowsiding. With much reduced speed I slid against a lamppost, fracturing my ribs in 8 places..... KNOXs on wood all healed well.

So if gear is comfortable, I'll wear it. But a complete MotoX undergarment?????

• Member Contributer
... this is for the track.

In that case, have a look at Dainese as well. They have a line in this stuff as well.

Thanks for a great link. :thumbsup:

After looking around a bit, I think i'm going to go with Forcefield armor. It looks like it offers the best certifiable protection out there.

forcefield_back.gifforcefield_chest.jpg

Plus, I'll probably get pair of Forcefield shorts too:

Forcefield%20Action%20Shorts%202.jpg

Archived