Nr750 Wheel On A Vfr750?

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer
I wonder what the actual weight difference is between the NR and the stock wheel?

If the rest of the bike is any indicator, despite being made of lighter material it will actually be heavier. <_<

• Member Contributer
I wonder what the actual weight difference is between the NR and the stock wheel?

With the amount of bragging rights that comes with a NR wheel, it will be heavier fer sure :thumbsup:

I'd be most surprised if the NR wheel is lighter than any VFR wheel, esp. the 4th Gen. Looking at JZH's pics it has a multi-piece hub assembly which probably uses steel for absolute strength so the actual spoke/rim section can be a bit lighter? But the 4th Gen wheel has a highly machined hub section which looks like it marries strength with low weight.

I'm sure he'll post up weight info when he can. I'll post the relative weights of 3rd and 4th Gen rear wheels (minus tyres) in the next day or two.

Guest vfrrider

Oh, Safe-T, where are you? JZH needs you to airmail him a drive hub, custom made and all.

Make him a real deal. And If he can't handle it, let me know. Maybe that NR wheel is just too much for him. Maybe I should make him a deal and take it off his hands before he drives himself crazy?

Larry

VFRrider

Guest Hurricane249
Oh, Safe-T, where are you? JZH needs you to airmail him a drive hub, custom made and all.

Make him a real deal. And If he can't handle it, let me know. Maybe that NR wheel is just too much for him. Maybe I should make him a deal and take it off his hands before he drives himself crazy?

Larry

VFRrider

no worries! GLL429 got him covered! anyone who can make a chain using only master links should have no trouble installing a wheel smile.gif

How in the world do you make a chain out of master links? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

WOW, that dude is in for over a $1k USD for an OEM rear wheel. Granted he'll probably be the only the VFR rider in the world with one and that's way cool but getting marchesini's or the like which GREATLY lessen unsprung weight and would have been money better spent IMO.

Now let's look at it from a posers point of view on display at the local hangout: What's more street cred: A carbon fiber OZ wheel or an OEM NR750 unit? hmmmm?

• Member Contributer
Well, maybe I could use some 12mm drive pins, if he's got em!

I really should be posting this kind of techie stuff on VFRD, but I hardly ever visit anymore (last visit was, er, last August) and I read the UK site every other day. VFRD is definitely where the hard core VFR techies hang out. (Even if some of them can't keep their gobs shut, eh Murray?!?) wink.gif

For the record, I have no idea how much the NR wheel weighs... Scratch that, I do have an idea, about 4kg, but this is not an accurate figure. I don't have an accurate-enough digital scale, so I had to use the digital bathroom scale (weighing me and then me with the NR wheel on my head), but the results were not totally repeatable. Yeah, it's a silly amount of money to spend on a bit 'o bling, but once I'd seen the wheel for sale at a do-able price, I just had to grab it. Then the only question was, what to do with it, and although all of my bikes probably qualify as "projects" in one way or another, my already slightly modified FP was the clear choice. As I've said elsewhere:

Er, well, it is lighter, but that's hardly the point. Fitting a distinctive part from a legendary bike of which only 300 were ever made is just cool. Like the neon lighting and full-fur body kit I've already installed... B)

I'm now sure I can use the RC30 hub; I just need some 12mm drive pins and a friendly machinist to install them!

Ciao,

I really should be posting this kind of techie stuff on VFRD, but I hardly ever visit anymore (last visit was, er, last August) and I read the UK site every other day. VFRD is definitely where the hard core VFR techies hang out. (Even if some of them can't keep their gobs shut, eh Murray?!?) wink.gif

:unsure: Sorry about letting that cat out, John... glad to see you back on VFRD though :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

NOW you tell me? NOW, so do I! UK NC30 guru Rick Oliver modded my RC30 hub and machined me four 12mm drive pins to go with it. The NR wheel's mounted to it now, but that's as far as I've got, and it will be at least two months before this project progresses, as I'm off to Dubai for work...

Out of curiousity, what other wheels use 12mm drive pins?

Cheers,

Guest nominal_squid
Out of curiousity, what other wheels use 12mm drive pins?

Don't Triumph SSSA rims use 12mm pins? I was under the impression they did, as well as the Ducatis. Not sure though...I've sold my single-nut hub a while back and lost all my research in spindle and wheel fitment in a move somewhere <_<