Installing Heli-bars. Any Tips?

VFRshark

Question

Ok, we're getting ready to install a set of heli-bars on one of our 06s. I checked in the Mods forums and didn't see any tips on installation. I've already read the installation .pdf and it leaves a little something to be desired. While I intend to follow that religiously, does anyone have other tips on installation of the heli-bars that will make it easier? Oh, I've already got Gen-Mar risers on it (which will come off) and the Throttlemeister, which will have to be moved to the heli-bars.

Thanks.

Ok, we're getting ready to install a set of heli-bars on one of our 06s. I checked in the Mods forums and didn't see any tips on installation. I've already read the installation .pdf and it leaves a little something to be desired. While I intend to follow that religiously, does anyone have other tips on installation of the heli-bars that will make it easier? Oh, I've already got Gen-Mar risers on it (which will come off) and the Throttlemeister, which will have to be moved to the heli-bars.

Thanks.

Best advice I can give is take your time and have plenty of beer around. :thumbsup:

Guest 767fixer

Thanks.

Best advice I can give is take your time and have plenty of beer around. :thumbsup:

that goes with anything! i follow that same method even when putting on my shoes!!!! :thumbsup:

The TM off my '99 stock bars fitted directly to the 929 Helibars with no problems.

Really all you have to do is make note of where all the cables go and its a piece of cake.

1. pull TM's

2. pull old grips

3. undo bolts on switch gear, noting which bolt goes where (1 is longer on the clutch side)

4. undo 2 bolts each that hold master cyl's on

5. remove the circlips from above stock clipons

6. undo clip-on bolts, take them off

7. install helibars (make sure you get them the right way round)

8. install master cyl's

9. install switch gear (there will be a circular tab that fits into a hole on the bars, to prevent them from twisting)

10. trim end off new grips

11. install new grips

12. install TM bar ends

That should do it :unsure:

oh, point 0 should be cover the tank with a cloth to prevent scratches...

• Member Contributer

First off , you should saw off safety tabs on both sides, brake and clutch banjo fittings

2nd really look at cables, how they are routed, I had to remove throttle cables and reroute to get good throttle return,

also oem vibe dampners are a PITA to remove and put into helis, a vise is handy ,

Last off will buy your stock clips ons at $100 set , let me know DOUG

• Member Contributer

ALSO note, right switchgear has a indexing hole, peg fits in hole or swicth assembly wont fit together correctly, in my case my hot grips were longer than oems and I needed to drill an extra hole in R side helis , good luck

• Member Contributer

I just installed a set tonight on my '07 RWB bike. Took about an hour, but I've done it twice before.

Was even easier this time because my bike has ABS so i didnt have to reroute the throttle cable in front of the brake line.

First thing I did was remove the tab on the brake master cylinder. Then I rotated the line a little. Then I cut the grips off and pulled the bar end thingies out while the stock bars were still on the bike.

After that, I took one stock bar off, put the helibar on, reinstalled the bar end thingies. A little lube makes them go in alot easier, I used dish soap. Adjusted for clearance so it doesnt hit the tank, tourqued it down, installed new grip.

Then I did the other side pretty much the same way.

thanks everyone.

Questions:

I've never pulled the throttle control/sleeve off. Is it just connected to the switch housing and will come off with it, or does it come off separately?

I assume I'll be cutting the grips off and replacing them?

Doug, if the heli-bars work out for us, we'll sell you the stocks at $100/set. If this works, we'll be replacing VFRtiger's stock clips as well. Do you want them also? Send me a PM and we'll chat about it.. Thanks.

Doug

Just installed mine as well .. I would add that I had to loosen the throttle attachment at the bottom of the throttle housing and aim the cables more towards the front of the bike to loosen the throttle action and them retighten.

Getting the thottle cables back on the housing was a PITA and it was easier to do while the bar was taken off.

Also +1 on the cover the fairing .. added some scratches :-(

• Member Contributer
thanks everyone.

Questions:

You don't need to cut off the old grips. Take some contact cleaner (Around $4-5 at any auto parts store), lift up the old grip a little with a screwdriver to put the hose from the contact cleaner can under the grip. Give it a spray, Maybe work a small screwdriver around the entire grip, then the old grips should just slide right off. I also use the contact cleaner to put the grips back on. Spray the bars or grips, then slide back on. When they dry (in a few hours), they are set.

I've used this method without any slippage.

• Member Contributer

you can remove the stock grips without cutting them. I only cut mine off because I had a new set that I like better

I was of the impression that the Throttlemeister that fits the stock bars, does not fit the helibars. Is that true or false?

True. The Throttlemeister insert for Helibars is a different size, different stock number.

• Member Contributer

throttlemeister makes two different sets. One for Helibars manufactured before 1/1/2004 and one for those manufactured after. Check out their web site www.throttlemeister.com

My problem is that I know when my bars were manufactured, but I don't know which throttlemeister unit I have. I bought the bike from TEibel and he had the throttlemeister installed.

I talked to TM direct. The TM will fit NEW helibars no matter what year the TM was made. If you have older helibars it will not fit, and needs a new item that is pretty cheap. For example, I bought my TM back in 2000. then for my project I bought brand new 929 helibars. They fitted together, no worries.

I can dig up the original email on my home pc if you like.

Also, an easy way to get the grips off if you want to reuse them is to use a compressor to send a blast of air between the grip and bar. 'course if you dont have a compressor...

First off , you should saw off safety tabs on both sides, brake and clutch banjo fittings

2nd really look at cables, how they are routed, I had to remove throttle cables and reroute to get good throttle return,

also oem vibe dampners are a PITA to remove and put into helis, a vise is handy ,

Last off will buy your stock clips ons at $100 set , let me know DOUG

I didn't have to cut off the safety tabs on the clutch side, only the single tab on the brake fluid cylinder.

Getting the damper units out was a lot easier using rubbing alcohol.

• Member Contributer

Anybody have a picture of these safety tabs that have to be cut off? :huh:

• Member Contributer

Just installed a set myself a few weeks ago. Pretty simple. The instructions that came with the bars were very good. I rolled the stock grips off in the same manner you might roll a sock down your ankle before pulling it off.......they end up inside out. However I had some new Progrips I was installing. As said before, when putting the switch housings on the Helibars, you have to align the pin in the housing with the hole in the bar or it will not fit properly. Use some grip glue when putting the grips back on. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to remove the tab from the brake resivoir. The tab is on the inboard side of the resivoir, on the bottom front corner. It is the one that holds the brake line in place and it has to be cut off for the Helibar install in order to relocate the position of the line.

P1000854.jpg

thanks everyone.

Questions:

You don't need to cut off the old grips. Take some contact cleaner (Around $4-5 at any auto parts store), lift up the old grip a little with a screwdriver to put the hose from the contact cleaner can under the grip. Give it a spray, Maybe work a small screwdriver around the entire grip, then the old grips should just slide right off. I also use the contact cleaner to put the grips back on. Spray the bars or grips, then slide back on. When they dry (in a few hours), they are set.

I've used this method without any slippage.

I use a slightly different method for getting grips off and then re-installing them.

Get a long super skinny screw driver. Run it under the grip, then spray WD40 inside the opening. Work the screw driver around a bit to get the WD40 on most of the inside of the grip. The grips will slide right off.

When you go to re-install them, wash out the inside of the grip with lacquer thinner to get out all of the old WD40. While the grip is still wet with lacquer thinner, slide the grip back on the handlebar. The lacquer thinner will actually act as a lubricant. The lacquer thinner dries in minutes and the grip will be on super tight. Been doing it this way for years. Use the same method for installing new grips.

CAREFUL NOT TO DRIP ANY LACQUER THINNER ON THE PAINTED SURFACES OF THE BIKE.

• Member Contributer

Great thread! I have my heli bars but I'm waiting for my new grips and heaters to start the install...this info will really help.

My only question is to use grip glue or not. Seems like many members get by without it.

• Member Contributer

I installed Helibars on my '98 VFR the other night. The bar dampers were time consuming to get out - what a pain. Also, I had to remove the triple-tree top clamp so I could re-route the throttle cables to the rear of the fork tube, rather than disconnecting them to do so. I was careful, but now the throttle return works VERY slowly. I checked for kinks, checked inside the switch housing, and all appears to be OK. Anybody have any ideas what I did wrong? HELP!!! sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Okay, somebody please tell me how to get these *@#@%#$ bar weights out of the stock bars and into the helibars. I think I've got the right one out about a 1/4". What are these clips on the weight every one is talking about? Somebody please help, my sanity is at stake!!!!

Other that that everything is going great.

• Member Contributer
Okay, somebody please tell me how to get these *@#@%#$ bar weights out of the stock bars and into the helibars. I think I've got the right one out about a 1/4". What are these clips on the weight every one is talking about? Somebody please help, my sanity is at stake!!!!

Other that that everything is going great.

Getting the bar end weights out is the only difficult part of the Heli-Bar installation, and it can be a pain.

I put mine in a vise with wood blocks so that I could pull them out. Look at the end of the bar......you will see two tiny holes. The cirular clips that are around the ends of the weights have two tiny tabs that lock into these holes. The tabs must clear the holes for the weights to be removed. You have to twist and pull at the same time to get the tabs clear of the holes. Pulling straight out will not work. I used a bit of WD-40. It takes a bit of effort and patience, (and cursing).

Whe you install these back into the Heli-Bars, make sure to align the tabs so that they latch back into the holes. I used a pair of pliers to squeeze on the circular clips to get them into the bars.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Archived